• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Designated Marksman

para - any shooting over 300m needs a knowledge of reading wind

I agree with cheap training (Pellet ot .22LR) but there is a limit to what you cant do -- Dry fire training is an EXCELLENT method as well - many high end competitive shooter state that 90% of your training shoud be dry (I'm not sure I agree with that) and they point to there is not bad rounds (misses or poor shots) in dry firing.

KevinB said:
para - any shooting over 300m needs a knowledge of reading wind
as well as an understanding of the balistics of the particular round you're employing, and a host of other factors. I was exaggerating to make a point in a humerous way. Evidently, I failed.

I agree with cheap training (Pellet ot .22LR) but there is a limit to what you cant do -- Dry fire training is an EXCELLENT method as well - many high end competitive shooter state that 90% of your training shoud be dry (I'm not sure I agree with that) and they point to there is not bad rounds (misses or poor shots) in dry firing.
as well, if you have the capability to re-load, you can make under-powered cartridges with wax bullets to shoot indoors. There are products on the market employing lasers that allow you to shoot in your home. There is a hand-grip device that allows you to practice trigger squeeze, release, and follow-through. Also, you can stick a pencil in the barrel of your weapon and aim at the wall (from an inch away). Everytime you "shoot," the pencil hits the wall. If you're steady,and following the marksmanship principle, the lead should hit in the same place, creating a single dot. Then, there's the old "coin balanced on the barrel" trick.

But, I still maintain that .22 LR is the single best calibre for practicing shooting.

IF your on a budget.  ;)

For my own value - Dont think anything can replace real rounds down range  DCRA Service Rifle and TR shooting will give the shooter a world of experience - for .mil shooters consider the F Class category of TR  300-900m events.

KevinB said:
IF your on a budget.  
even for hard-core shooters such as yourself. Go from grown-up guns to .22 LR once in a while, and you will pick up bad habits you're developing. You may surprise yourself.

I had an incident with a black powder gun that left me with a massive flinch. Two weeks and a thousand or so rounds of .22 cured it. Besides .22's are just plain fun, especially with and unlimited supply of crows and whistledogs around.

KevinB said:
For my own value - Dont think anything can replace real rounds down range   DCRA Service Rifle and TR shooting will give the shooter a world of experience - for .mil shooters consider the F Class category of TR   300-900m events.
Anyone mind deciphering: DCRA? TR? .mil? f class category?
Are they shooting teams that one can join?

DCRA - Dominion of Canada Rifle Association - they host service rifle, TR (Target Rifle : iron sight off the elbows bolt gun matches from 300m - 900m) F Class a derivative of TR using optics and bipod/rests.

The way that TR and F Class work is a great way for a shooter to get into long rnage shooting - as 1) there are older experienced shooters there to give tips etc. on shooting at distance, wind, mirage etc. 2) the indicated targets allow the shooter to log their rounds and learn from the experience (any one can launch rounds down range - but there is zero value unless you learn from it)

Service Rifle is the 12 standard matches
200m (App, Snap, Rap, Rundown 200-100m)
300m (App, Snap, Rap, Rundown 300-200m)
500m (App, Snap, Rap, Rundown 500-400-300-200-100)

App: Application Shoot - Prone 10rds for score slow fire each round indicated + 2 sighters)
Snap: Snap Shoot - different postion dependant upon Range (Kneeling,Sitting or Prone) 1rd per exposure at the 200&500m and 2rds at the 300m + 2 sighters indicated prior to begining scored part of match
Rap: Rapid 10rds (2x 5rds mags in 30sec) +2 sighters
Rundown: self explanatory for the 200 and 300m events - as you run down to the next 100m berm and shoot the match (10rds - no sighters)
500m Rundown - 2rds prone at 500m, run to 400m 2rds Sitting run to 300m 2rds prone, run to 200m 2rds kneeling, run to 100m 2rds standing.
All rundowns are timed.

www.dcra.ca for more info.

Get out and shoot!

I noticed a few people saying to buying a AR15.  From what I read, the original poster doesn't have his PAL yet.  Is the AR15 not a prohibited firearm? which he will not be able to purchase.  Is there some sort of leniency for acquiring this firearm for being enlisted in the military?  Thanks

BushmasterBob said:
I noticed a few people saying to buying a AR15.  From what I read, the original poster doesn't have his PAL yet.  Is the AR15 not a prohibited firearm? which he will not be able to purchase.  Is there some sort of leniency for acquiring this firearm for being enlisted in the military?  Thanks

No you have to pay your money and take the course like everyone else....

I have my PAL already for non-restricted.  I thought that you cannot get a PAL for prohibited firearms anymore?

I take it there are different versions of the AR15.  In another thread I was reading, it must have a 5 rnd mag, semi-auto, is there any length restrictions or anything elso for them to be a restricted firearm vs prohibited?  Thanks

no ar-15 is prohibited. The Fully automatic variant of the AR-15 is Prohitied, but all AR-15's are Semi auto.
KevinB is our Resident Gunnut.
I would suggest going over to Canadiangunnutz.com for your gun related questions.
All semi-auto weapons must have pinned mags to ensure it can only hold 5 rounds.
theres no length restrictions other than it needs a barrel over 4 inches long. and it can only be fired on a restricted range, there expensive usually for a decent new one.

George Wallace said:
In a way there are 'Designated Marksmen', but nothing as glamorous as you think.  No 'special' courses.  Just being selected within a Section/Platoon/Unit as being the/one of the Best Shots and employed as such in any case that that unit sees fit.  In Riot Control, there are Designated Riflemen who will carry out Drills as Ordered should an incident escalate to the use of Deadly Force. 

On another note, you can qualify for your Marksmanship Badge during your PWT and have that qualification for a year, after which you have to qualify again.

Sorry to continue the resurrection of a long dead thread, but changes are coming shortly.

The Sniper Course will be split into two parts:  Designated Marksman and Sniper.  Basically, we are going to split the stalk PO away and save it for the Sniper course.  DMs will take the DM course (old sniper less the stalk) and then after being qualified Recce etc, they will be allowed to attend the Sniper course.  This should a) imnprove the pass rate of the Sniper course, and b) provide a pool of DMs.  Concurrent to this is an inititive to purchase AR15s for the DMs.

I looked at buying an AR-15.... and for the price and the fact it is restricted, wasn't the choice for me. Instead I took the money got myself a ruger lr22(love it) , and a SKS 7.62(so much fun) , and a mosberg 12 gauge three different fun guns for much less than one AR-15. None of which are restricted. Just an idea? I know the AR-15 looks and feels sexy but.......necessary....up to you. Bushmaster has a few different types if you are still interested.

Chinese SKS was 149$ and aftermarket parts galore....

PPCLI Guy -- I think your meaning AR10T for the DM's (the 7.62mm Big Brother to the AR15/C7).
  Good to hear about the splitting of the basic course.

Samsquanch - neither of those choices you pointed to are accurate.  The idea was provide a system (AR15) with the same (well similar - not auto) characterisitics for the member to train with.

As mentioned the AR15 family is restricted by name -- thus no calibre, barrel length or over all length issues apply to it.

Future Unknown said:
All semi-auto weapons must have pinned mags to ensure it can only hold 5 rounds.

You can have as many .22 cal bullets in a magazine as you want; I even looked it up again in my old PAL book. I think that it also extends to any rim-fire bullet. Unless of course the law has changed on me.

yeah thats correct, but we aren't speaking about .22, the user wants a ar to train like he fights, and YES before someone kindly points it out I am aware that there are .22 conversion kits of the AR.

Back