• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deployments?

TR23

Inactive
Reaction score
How often do gunners get to deploy on operations around the world?  Do you deploy on all/most to ensure sufficient firepower is on the ground, or do gunners deploy less then the other cbt arms, perhaps for political/media reasons (not wanting pictures of those big bad guns on the quiet 'peacekeeping' missions)?  Thanks for the info.

Again the motto is "UBIQUE" meaning everywhere.Gunners are combat arms and our qualifications are often more than pulling a lanyard.Typically we havn't deployed as regimental size however battery size have been deployed to Afghanistan,Bosnia,air defence to gulf war,regiments to Cyprus, as well as individual members filling specific jobs in somalia,golan heights, egypt etc. Don't get it in your head that only one trade has a monopoly on overseas deployments.It takes all trades to make it work.

Thank you Shelldrake, I appreciate your response.  I hope my post did not insult the many Gunners on this site, it was not meant in that way.  I was not trying to insinuate that Gunners deploy less, or aren't trained in all kinds of different abilites.  To be honest I've been kicking around the idea of enlisting, and I was hoping to learn what my chances of getting a tour oversea's, or what kind of tasks I would be assigned on a tour if I chose to enlist in the Artillery.  Again thanks for the response and I apologize for any unintended slight!

TR23, gunners do all sorts of tasks. Be it the DART deployment in southeast Asia to providing unmanned aerial surveillance in Afghanistan, gunners have an important role to play in deployments. From my understanding, this is especially the case as an artillery officer. The officers can be attached to an infantry platoon or an armoured troop as forward observation officers, being that groups link with the artillery, providing the ability to call in close air or artillery support. With the DART deployment, approximately 25%, or 50 soldiers from this deployment were from 2 RCHA in Petawawa. They also do foot and mounted patrols in peace support missions. The fact is, artillery is an often overlooked, but much needed trade, both at home and overseas. Though I have no personal experience of any of these things yet, I know my skills will be put to good use here in Canada and in all corners of the world.

TR23, and so you know Shelldrake has been to most of the places he mentioned in his response.
And to expand on what Big Foot was saying, After thier traditional roles in Fire Support and Target acquisition, they often fill deployed headquarters positions because their experience coordinating, is an essential skill in making many moving parts work together.

TR23

Well i have being on many operations all over the world some as Gunners and some and D&S and were ever there is a operation that is ongoing you can be assured you will find Gunners there. their might not be many and your out numbered like i was in Kosovo but we still took part in that operation. and if we are not partaking in the Gunner role then we will fill other postions, hopefully this will help you out.

UBIQUE

Thanks a lot guys!  This info has helped me understand your roles better, which will help me make a decision.  Thanks again.

Don't forget the more mundane deployments as well.  We have two gunners on the ground here in Alert and they are doing the guns proud.

Chimo!
Ubique!

Back