• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deployment support for spouse

Tewkster

Inactive
Reaction score
I will be deployed from Oct 2009 to Apr 2010 and I need to get some assistance regarding deployment support for my wife.

My wife is a full-time worker at the MFRC in Shearwater and she was advised that she is not allowed to participate in the deployment support since she is a staff member.  Apparently this is a policy with Halifax that staff members cannot participate in these support groups for confidentiality reasons.

This is obviously a bogus policy considering that my wife is a military spouse first and my 2 daughters need her to be functioning well enough while I am away.

What is the best way for me to rectify this without jeopardizing my wife's employment?

Not to be rude or anything, but what does the MFRC offer by way of support?  Being as my spouse and I are both military, we never used MFRC at all.  The times we deployed separately, we had unit "support" (I use the term loosely as I got one phone call in six months).  I would say if you have a good buddy or two from work that she can contact and good neighbours/friends/family, she may not need MFRC for anything.  Just my (uneducated) opinion.

Edit to add:  If she has access to confidential information as part of her job, then it is also part of her job not to disclose that info to anyone who doesn't have the authority to see it.  If she is attending a support program as a spouse and not as an employee, I don't think there is an issue.  No different from Med Techs being able to see other people's medical info.  But then, maybe this particular MFRC had a problem with someone else.

Seems kind of ironic that the group responsible for family support will not support a service member's family.

Well, I agree that friends and neighbours can offer support but it's nice to interact with others who are in the same situation where their spouses are away for long periods of time.  These programs are offered for those reasons and should be made available to everyone.  My wife is not military, she is a military spouse and for her it's a different situation compared to you since you are both military members and you have other resources available to you that she doesn't.

Tewkster said:
My wife is not military, she is a military spouse and for her it's a different situation compared to you since you are both military members and you have other resources available to you that she doesn't.

I didn't have other resources.  Our tours occurred before MFRC set up any kind of deployment support.

PMedMoe said:
The times we deployed separately, we had unit "support" (I use the term loosely as I got one phone call in six months).

She doesn't have unit support, you do.

Tewkster said:
She doesn't have unit support, you do.

Actually, I wasn't talking about my unit, I was talking about my spouse's unit and vice versa.  Units would contact the spouse (and the spouse could contact them) while their other half was away.  This was for all spouses, military or civilian.  That's what we did before the MFRC program.

Anyway, I can see you're not looking for these replies.  My suggestion is for your spouse to go through her employer to see if anything can be done about this.

As PMedMoe said; YOUR UNIT should maintain contact with her while you are deployed and ensure that she is not having any problems.  It has nothing to do with her employer or employment at a MFRC.  YOUR UNIT should have all the information required to stay in contact with her.  It is your responsibility to ensure that they have all the information to do this. 

PMedMoe said:
Not to be rude or anything, but what does the MFRC offer by way of support? . . . 

I also was unsure what they really do, so here's the link to their site
http://www.halifaxmfrc.ca/e/deployment/index.asp

What is the best way for me to rectify this without jeopardizing my wife's employment?

Since those of us who have responded to your query so far seem to be unsure what services/support will be denied your wife/family while you're deployed, perhaps a similiar misunderstanding exists between your wife and her employer.  Is it really a confidentiality issue or could it be something else, such as the timings for these "support groups" would conflict with her work schedule.  My suggestion would be to first ensure that you really know what the problem is.  If it can't be resolved by a polite conversation between your wife and her employer (knowing what one's obligations are as an employer and employee is very helpful - refer to any contracts/employee manuals/terms of reference, etc), then perhaps you can contact someone "trustworthy" on the MFRC's board to air your concerns.

It would seem that your family is in good hands.

"Shearwater's Community Spirit is Second to None
They’re here for a good time, not a long time. Thanks to their positive attitude, the military community of Shearwater, Nova Scotia has been selected to receive the 2009 Lieutenant Governor’s Community Spirit Award.

Shearwater was one of four communities chosen from 17 submissions. While other communities highlighted their impressive longevity with stories of life-long residents taking care of one another, Shearwater celebrated the military community’s characteristic transience, and the necessity of forming a strong community spirit in a short period of time."

More at: http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/DMFS/In_Focus/Shearwater_Comm_Spirit_e.asp

Blackadder1916 said:
Is it really a confidentiality issue or could it be something else, such as the timings for these "support groups" would conflict with her work schedule.  My suggestion would be to first ensure that you really know what the problem is.

The timings of the support group does not conflict with her schedule otherwise she would not raise an issue about being excluded.  Her immediate supervisor does not agree with the policy and it's out of her hands.  Shearwater falls under Halifax and they set the rules.  Don't get me wrong, Shearwater is a great place.  I just don't agree with Halifax controlling policies for the Shearwater MFRC.

Is there a copy of this *policy* in writing?  My first question was "who made this policy?" and that is where I would be starting, finding out who made it, and if it is even official and signed off on by someone in authority.

Next...have you talked to someone like the WTIS MWO about your concerns for 'advice and guidance'?

PMedMoe said:
Not to be rude or anything, but what does the MFRC offer by way of support?

For anyone who is curious, here is a link to the Halifax MFRC Deployment site.

http://www.halifaxmfrc.ca/e/deployment/index.asp

Seems kind of ironic that the group responsible for family support will not support a service member's family.

Indeed it is, but unless you've been posted to MARLANT, you wouldn't believe the stupidity that is common in Halifax.  Its too bad that Shearwater in a Wing vice a CFB...but the Wing is a great sh*t filter from the minds on the other side of the harbour IMO.

Valuable resources for your spouse:

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/dsc_petawawa/links-eng.html
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/fam/index-eng.asp
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/fam/CFFR-8-eng.asp

The last four lines of this "Declaration of Confidentiality" may explain why she is not entitled to some of the services. The question is:  Were the implications explained to her?

Source: http://www.halifaxmfrc.ca/downloads/pdf/board/BODinfopackageJune2007.pdf

HALIFAX & REGION MILITARY FAMILY RESOURCE CENTRE
DECLARATION OF CONFIDENTIALITY
As a member of the staff, volunteers, or Board of Directors of the Halifax & Region Military Family Resource Centre (MFRC), I may be entrusted with knowledge of the personal and private affairs of clients and staff of the MFRC.
I hereby undertake not to divulge any matter or case within or outside of the MFRC except on a need to know basis when legally obligated to do so for the normal conduct of business.
I recognize the sensitivity of clients and staff issues regarding confidentiality and promise to safe guard the personal information while acknowledging the legally mandated exceptions to confidentiality, to include:
a. Suspected child abuse
b. Possible victim of violence
c. Criminal activity; and
d. Past crimes.
Any such concerns or anomalies regarding confidentiality declaration (in bold type above), may subject me to disciplinary/administrative measures including not being eligible for future employment with the MFRC (staff), or dismissal for volunteers or members of the Board of Directors.
_________________ ______________________
Date Signature
I have explained the implications of signing the Declaration of Confidentiality to
__________________________________ and am fully satisfied that he/she is aware of the necessity to hold the affairs of clients and staff of the MFRC in absolute confidence.

Back