• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deployment duration

I think there are problems with "assuming" how long a deployment is going to be, and then having that hardwired into your brain. When my wife was on Op Apollo, I was the spouse who stayed behind and attended the rear party family briefings. I heard on more than a few occasions the wives saying things like "He HAS to be home in 6 months. When he went to Cyprus/Bosnia/Kosovo/etc, it was only 6 months" I rained on one of the wife's parade when I told her that they could be there as long as they need to be, because if the gov't decided on, say a 9 month deployment, they probably wouldn't have a second roto for just 3 months. Boy, was she thrilled with my dose of reality.

My tour to Bosnia in 00-01 was 7 months long, mainly because "they" wanted to gradually extend the tours so that they started/ended in Apr/Sept for money/planning issued, as the rumour went. Whatever the reason, we were there (on average) for 7 months.

The 6 month long tour is what everybody should get out of their head as the "norm": if you are gone for 2 months, 6 months, 9 months or 5 years, that's part of being in the military. I have a service wife and 3 kids, and I have resigned myself to the fact that it could happen. Odds are that the deployments will likely stay 6 months, but don't program yourself to think that's as long (or as short) as they will ever be.

Oh yeah Hollywog, if "we" aren't at war, put a fake suicide bomber vest on, walk up to one of the main gates of one of our camps overseas, and see how you make out. The soldiers there that aren't at war will shoot holes into your argument (literally).

Al

Year long tours are a bad idea, the main operational reason is complacency. the troops i deal with on a regular basis over here admit to it, and i can see a big change in the group that got here around the time i did, especially the guys on gate duty. when they first arrived they were aleart, keen and observant, now 11 months later i can see a big difference, most notably at the gates where there is not a lot of action. of course if you are going through the airport road checkpoint thats a different story.... those guys are on their toes 24 - 7. personally i think 6 months its the ideal length, just enough time to be operationally effective, but not long enough to come overly complacent.

To the clown who hinted that an attack in toronto would be a good thing for the CF, you are an idiot, dont even joke about that stuff.

From my little experience in the military all of my deployments to UN or NATO lead overseas have been 6 months; yes I also remember exercises in the 80's being in the 50-70 days ranges.
Hell even gun camps on my own base being 1 month.
The length of deployments will no doubt depend on the foreign policy of the current government.

Quote "a terrorist attack in downtown Toronto would be the best thing to happen to the forces in a while" end quote.
Is at this time a pretty dumb statement, if you ask me.

Quote "Wishing for it not to happen would also be irrelevant... its just a matter of time and we all know it" end quote.
Again a pretty interesting statement would the person who stated this like to enlighten the remainder of Canada with its just a matter of time? Do you have an inside scoop?

My wife is thinkis about joining the CF.  I was just wondering....
- How likely is it that she will get sent overseas?
- What is the earliest in her CF career that she CAN be sent overseas?
- How long on average is an overseas deployment?
- When she is overseas what kind of contact will she have with myself and our childeren?
- Can she be sent overseas right after basic training?

Thank you to whomever answers these questions!
I (we)look forward to reading the answers.  And getting the extra help in deciding if this is the best move for our family

1.  It depends on her trade
2.  It depends on her trade
3.  About 6 months.  It can be more it can be less
4.  There are phones, email, personal mail
5.  Most likely not as she won't have a trade after basic.

that being said, I have a question regarding over-seas as well:

I'm in an arguement with my friend. He is saying that I won't get posted to afghanistan or anywhere for at least about 2 years, just because. I says that after I've completed my initial training and have been posted to my unit, that if my unit gets told they are shipping out, then I will be going with them too. (I'venlisted in the infantry)

Can anyone clear this up for me? Cheers -Cameron

If you get the infantry and your BN is going oversea's there is a chance you will go.  If you went say mat tech they won't normally bother until you've done your 5's.

Hansol
Theres quite a few no hook privates overseas(Infantry, some CSS trades, etc). If your company is going overseas, so will you, juat aslong as you meet the requirements to go(training, medical, phsyical, etc) you will get to go overseas.

Don't listen to people who have never been in the military an have no idea wtf they are talking about.

CFL, or anyone else

Thanks for your answers she is thinking about going in for construction tech or refrigeration something.

what are the possabilities of oversea deployment with these trades?

Also what are the best ocupation for her to apply for if she wants to get a job offer right away?

And with the trades mentioned above about how long (estimate) will she have to wait for a job offer?

Thanks again

the question about time getting a job offer is anyone's guess.
the people that can answer these questions the best or the recruitment pers

Hansol said:
that being said, I have a question regarding over-seas as well:

I'm in an arguement with my friend. He is saying that I won't get posted to afghanistan or anywhere for at least about 2 years, just because. I says that after I've completed my initial training and have been posted to my unit, that if my unit gets told they are shipping out, then I will be going with them too. (I'venlisted in the infantry)

Can anyone clear this up for me? Cheers -Cameron

If you are in a unit, and it is deployed - you go with it, unless sick, lame or lazy. If they only deploy part of the unit, you may be left behind. In my experience, new guys have just as much chance to go, because they are usually in rifle companies, which are, by necessity, 40%-60% troops with 3 years of service or less.

If you don't want to be deployed, don't go infantry.

And ladies and gentlemen this question and many like this has been asked before, you will be surprised what the search function will dig up for you.

no no, i'm actually looking forward to the chance of going over-seas. That's one of the reasons i chose infantry. (Besides the fact that I think you get to work with some of the best and highly motivated people in the forces)

And while the "search" function does solve a lot of problems, some questions come close to, but don't fully answer the question. Or I am stupid. It most likely is the latter. Cheers -Cameron

Back