• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deployed soldier fights phone bill

Something similar happened to me just before I deployed.. I am with Bell, and before I signed my contract, I specifically told the rep I would be deploying and would need to have it suspended for 6-8 months, depending on the tour length.. He told me it was fine and they did it all the time for CF members..

Anyways a few days before I was set to leave, I call them to suspend the phone and am told they have no such thing in place... Ended up going through 3 levels of management before I got someone who would help.. I ended up having to add an extra year to my contract in order to suspend it for 6 months, and if my tour lasts longer, I will be paying the full bill after that 6 months.. When the entire reason you go with a company is because of the ability to suspend something and then when you need it they say no, its just foolish...

So just a heads up to anyone who wants to get a Bell phone, make sure to call their customer service line and asked about it.. Don't take the salesman's word for it

Hmmm.  I read thru most of the thread comments, then went back and read thru the first post that PMedMoe posted

PMedMoe said:
There's one dad of a brave, young reservist deployed to Afghanistan wondering if the Taliban are more flexible in their rigid rules than some of these iron-clad cellphone agreements.

It would be hard to convince Richard Fraser otherwise.

"I thought you might be interested to hear how one of Canada's largest and wealthiest companies do their part to support our servicemen and women while deployed in defence of this country," he told me.

If he didn't already have enough on his mind.

His 20-year-old son, Glenn, the pride and joy of Birchlawn Ave. and proud and honoured member of Toronto's Scottish Regiment, was sent to the murderous war zone with the Canadian Armed Forces this month. 

His monthly Rogers cellphone bill will keep coming in.

"I had the pleasure of speaking to a Rogers rep in an effort to have my son's account frozen for seven to nine months while he is deployed," said Richard. "It seems that since my son signed a contract there is no way that they could suspend, or hold his current cell number or services."

Now we get complaints about all the cellphone companies and Rogers has told me they will look into this one. But this is just stupid.

Hopefully somebody at Rogers will take it out of the hands of the insensitive people who have been dealing with Mr. Fraser so far.

He has spent hours on the phone talking to three different people who were unsympathetic -- akin to trying to convince the Taliban to let girls go to school.

"We as a family have been loyal Rogers customers," said Richard. "Our average Rogers bill is approximately $400 to $500 a month, four cellphones plus cable. The best they are willing to do is charge $31.33 per month for services that he will not be using, though I am sure they would like to ding him on the roaming charges from Afghanistan if he had to make a call."

He "explained to the Rogers rep that he was deployed and only wanted to hold his current cell umber until he returned."

I can't actually see where Glenn, the son who is deployed, complained.  In the article, its all Dad doing the flappin'.

Could very well be that Glenn called, found out the contract couldn't be frozen/whatever the case may be, and Dad is the one with the splinter in his ass about it.

Atleast...thats the way I read it.  I doubt Glenn is over there right now and the biggest concern he has is his Rogers bill.

:2c:

Speaking Roger's.

After my Mom passed away 10 yrs ago, I was home to sort things out.

The house was packed up and for sale, the will probated and long since sorted out.

The last thing to go was the mobile phone of which I used and paid monthly.

Upon attempting to terminate the account, even though she was dead, I would have to prove 'proof of death' prior to termination. All newpaper articles and certifcates were packed up and already on their way to Australia. After numerous calls/requests, Rogers still refused to cease the contract. F 'em!

I left, the house sold, and I have no idea what the staus is 10 yrs on.

Idiots!

These Corporations can really be SOB's as per contracts, but contracts work both  ways.

Well when they first came out, I thought this was a good idea in case of emergencies. So I got one of the very first Models (Motorola) the size of a small Walkie-Talkie.

Well since I wasn't going to use it other than in a matter of Life or Death. I got the cheapest plan they had $10.77 including 30 free min. and then  $1.00 for each extra.

Since then, I've received two Nokia upgrades and chargers Free with all the new Apps. My total bill is $12.53 inclding taxes.

Still no life or death emergencies, keep it turned off, open it once a week to maintain the circuitry for a few minutes. Charge it when needed.

Now, this is the best part, they contracted for this plan and equipment. Every year I receive at least one call from Rogers (almost begging me) promising me 6 months free of this and 3 months of that just to get this plan off their books.

My advice to everyone entering into a Contract ask and ask again and what if this happens , then check with their Office in case you've just only received a Sales Pitch.

Cheers.

First off we have to admit that we get jack crap as a soldier's,airman or sailor's in Canada compared to the State's.

In the State's you produce military I.D. you get a discount from any where from 10% to 25%.
Ah but not here in Canada!!!  :mad:

I have produced my Canadian Mil I.D. in Texas ,Mississaipi and have gotten Mil Discount's in the State's.

A lot of places will give a discount with military ID, they just don't advertise it.  I believe there is a page around here somewhere of places that will give discounts for military personnel.  Just last week, when I got my oil changed at a Wal-Mart in BC, I saw a sheet taped to the desk beside the computer terminal outlining which codes to use for different tax exemptions (first nations, fed employees, etc).  One of the things on there was for military.  Not knowing if it was for military vehicles, or just someone in the military, I decided to ask for tax exemption, and got it.  But the customer service representative was fairly new, and looked confused.  I have no idea if this is standard practice for Wal-Mart or if it was just because there was a reserve unit close by, and they did a few of their vans.

stealthylizard said:
A lot of places will give a discount with military ID, they just don't advertise it.  I believe there is a page around here somewhere of places that will give discounts for military personnel.  Just last week, when I got my oil changed at a Wal-Mart in BC, I saw a sheet taped to the desk beside the computer terminal outlining which codes to use for different tax exemptions (first nations, fed employees, etc).  One of the things on there was for military.  Not knowing if it was for military vehicles, or just someone in the military, I decided to ask for tax exemption, and got it.  But the customer service representative was fairly new, and looked confused.  I have no idea if this is standard practice for Wal-Mart or if it was just because there was a reserve unit close by, and they did a few of their vans.

Hi,

I believe this is the list you are talking about :)

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/741.0.html

Alea

Back