• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DEO Interview

dr.davies

Inactive
Reaction score
I had recently begun the process of recruitment into the CF.  After meeting several times with a recruiter at Yonge and Sheppard, Naval positions interested me the most, particularly MARS and CSE.  I have now completed my CFAT and questionnaires, and have my medical tomorrow morning and interview on the 7th of August.

I have begun preparation for my interview.  Standard stuff, i.e. previous managerial/leadership experience, specific cases where these skills were implemented, etc..

My question to the forum is, what, outside of standard interview questions can/should I prepare.  In a previous thread it was mentioned there was a document which itemized what to prepare for the interview, however the link was broken.  Any information, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Andrew

You will be asked to answer specific questions relating to various personality traits and demonstrated leadership abilities.  In answering these questions you will be asked to provide concrete examples.  Listen to the question and take your time answering it.  Know the occupations that you are applying for and know the CF's roles and responsibilities.  Sorry can't get into more detail as the interview is scored.  Good Luck.

As per the recomendation from a previous thread, I've begun reading Operation Apollo (by Richard Gimblett, Magic Light Publishing).

To complement the information you were able to provide, can you suggest any other readings on past, but relative, CF operations which are reflective of today's responsibilities and roles throughout the world.  Thinking more Canadian Naval History, seamanship, customs then periodicals and current events.

There are a couple of reading lists somewhere on this site, start there. Did a google on Canadian Naval History and came up with these:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Canadian+Naval+History&meta=

There may be something there to assist you.

I'm always up for a good read.  Anything you'd personally recomend?

It is always good to start with the basics of why the Navy does things a little different than the other arms:  http://www.readyayeready.com/tradition/customs-of-the-navy/index.htm

I had a Seamanship Manual when I was in the Navy that saved me from some embarrassment from time to time.  As for specific recommendations; anything from the 1950s up but remember you should have a good grounding in current Navy and CF ops for the interview and that information can be readily found through various DND Internet sources.

First and foremost, know your first occupation choice inside and out.  Know the length and location of training, what you will be learning, and the equipment you will be using.  Try to get a decent idea of what your daily life will be like once you are fully trained.  Know how long your committment to the CF will be upon signing, and your possible posting locations.  Try to find pay rates and check in advance to see if you can make ends meet on OCdt pay during BMOQ.

Think about why you would be an asset to the CF, and what separates you from other candidates for the same position.

Also think about your life experience and situations you've faced which demonstrate your good qualities.

Don't forget this is a job interview... too many people come in with the assumption that because they've applied, the CF has to hire them.  Sell yourself.  Interviews are usually done by people with 20+ years in, so relax and enjoy a chance to speak with an experienced officer and good person.

Expect the interview to take about an hour.

The information is greatly appreciated.  I've amassed quite the list of reading, all prioritized for my interview which is next Wednesday.  I just came back from my medical and I'm healthy and ready to go, so I'm now looking very forward to the interview.

I found a very interesting read last night if anyone is interested.  It's a series of essays on Canada's military history, basically an essay from pre-colonial times up to Afghanistan. Show No Fear: Daring Actions in Canadian Military History, Colonel Bern Horn.

As mentioned, I've just returned from my medical, and now have a day of work before I'm off to Vegas for a bachelor party.  I think I'll be the first person in Vegas history to bring a workload and sit poolside at the Palms reading!

Once again, the information is greatly appreciated, and am confident that the interview will go well.

The RC has a copy of the interview prep manual and they will be very happy to give you if you asked for help i'm very sure.  Anyway i have attached the pdf i got.  I hope it will help. Good luck. :)

CFRC Toronto has some cool Navy officers. I'm sure you'll bump into a few during your recruiting process...

And don't sweat the interview. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, and you seem pretty interested in the Navy. Just be yourself and relax.

I want to thank you all for the help and information.  I got a call the day before my interview and was notified that something had come up in my medical, and the recruiting centre wanted to reschedule my interview until after the assessment came back from Ottawa.  I have a feeling I know what it is, and not to get into it, I feel confident I will be able to work through it.  As a result, I asked to proceed with the interview as scheduled.

That being said, I sat with the Lt. for the interview and it went incredibley well.  I had the experience, knowledge and commitment they were looking for.  I was told I would have been sent to the NOAB had my medical not been flagged by the med tech.  Regardless, we're going to wait and see the results from Ottawa, and the Lt. has offered to help me with any appeal/review process should it come back with a negative response.  As I mentioned, I know what was flagged, and it isn't a concern and all doctor's have cleared me, so I'm hoping it won't even be an issue when sent to Ottawa.  That being said, it will be an uphill battle, but I am committed to the fight and confident it will work out.

Back