• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Denial of Access to MIR By Unit

Greymatters said:
I think another topic at that O-group will be a discussion on why troops are taking their problems to an Internet forum instead of dealing with problems 'in-house'...

And since you cant prove who the OP is, it's a moot point.

Greymatters said:
I think another topic at that O-group will be a discussion on why troops are taking their problems to an Internet forum instead of dealing with problems 'in-house'...

Lower ranks 99.99% of the time have their ideas and concepts scrapped. Dealing with this in house during an O group would of only put the member in the line of fire from their CoC. Being new to a unit and unsure of the boundaries or who to approach the member did the right thing, asked and hopefully now the problem is being resolved.

Sheep Dog AT said:
It shouldn't put anyone in my the line of fire as there are no names no pack drill

Or they will take it out on everybody.

Maybe even bring back the old army system of having personnel for sick parade present themselves to the orderly sergeant, properly dressed and with their shaving kit, etc in their small packs with shoulder strap lung over the right shoulder, and hanging against the left hip. The orderly sergeant then inspected them, rejecting and maybe charging any who were not well turned out, and marching the remainder to the MIR. I'm not making this up.

Old Sweat said:

Maybe even bring back the old army system of having personnel for sick parade present themselves to the orderly sergeant, properly dressed and with their shaving kit, etc in their small packs with shoulder strap lung over the right shoulder, and hanging against the left hip. The orderly sergeant then inspected them, rejecting and maybe charging any who were not well turned out, and marching the remainder to the MIR. I'm not making this up.

Don't forget forming up in front of the entire BN on morning parade so they could see who was going to sick parade.  That is what 2 VP did when I first got there.

Old Sweat said:
Maybe even bring back the old army system of having personnel for sick parade present themselves to the orderly sergeant, properly dressed and with their shaving kit, etc in their small packs with shoulder strap lung over the right shoulder, and hanging against the left hip.
And it would be one heartless, crusty duty NCO, indeed, who would deny access to the MIR with a trooper showing up with a lung over his shoulder  ;D

In all seriousness, though ....
Old Sweat said:
If the leadership is "stellar" in one aspect, it wouldn't surprise anyone that it might be just as "stellar" in others - unfortunately.

Greymatters said:

Welcome to the 21st century, this generation will do this whether you agree or not. Even in civy street we have to grapple with the social norms of the current generations.

Old Sweat said:

No doubt in my mind that what you say is true, but I would hope that in this day and age that today's leaders would recognize that doing what you've described above is no different than having Pte Bloggins report to his supervisor and get grilled on why they're going to the MIR.  What business does anyone have singling out Bloggins and any other personnel who want to go to MIR to get something as simple as an OTC medication?  QR&Os say to report without delay in case of illness; the CoC shouldn't be introducing any shenanigans that would attempt to shame someone into not going.

Occam said:
No doubt in my mind that what you say is true, but I would hope that in this day and age that today's leaders would recognize that doing what you've described above is no different than having Pte Bloggins report to his supervisor and get grilled on why they're going to the MIR.  What business does anyone have singling out Bloggins and any other personnel who want to go to MIR to get something as simple as an OTC medication?  QR&Os say to report without delay in case of illness; the CoC shouldn't be introducing any shenanigans that would attempt to shame someone into not going.

Indeed. The practice dates at least from the 19th century. In his book From Quebec to Pretoria with The Royal Canadian Regiment, Sergeant William Hart-McHarg criticized its use in 2 RCR in South Africa.

Colin P said:
Welcome to the 21st century, this generation will do this whether you agree or not. Even in civy street we have to grapple with the social norms of the current generations.

+1 on that.

50 years ago a disgruntled soldier might bitch to his brothers at the Mason's Lodge.
25 years ago a disgruntled soldier might bitch to the guys he played hockey with.
Now a disgruntled soldier might bitch to his internet community.

We don't have to like it, but we have to be aware of it.

dangerboy said:
Don't forget forming up in front of the entire BN on morning parade so they could see who was going to sick parade.  That is what 2 VP did when I first got there.

I remember those. Not fondly either.

Hamish Seggie said:
I remember those. Not fondly either.
I remember at the PPCLI battle school in the mid 90s, the standard was bunch stripped with bedding folded at the foot, small pack with shaving kit, pair of socks and underwear and a book. You would from up separate from the rest as the sick lame and lazy section.  As a 17 year old kid that seemed ok but I can't imagine my reaction if someone told me to do that today.

George Wallace said:
And it will not be the first, nor the last, time that army.ca was on the radar.

We all know the Good Idea Fairies monitor this site for new and creative ways to improve the life of your average service member, so why would something like this be any different. ;D

There were good reasons for that procedure.

The kit had to be packed in case you were hospitalized, so at least you had some kit. Otherwise your Pl WO would have to chase it down and bring it to you.
There is no good reason to have you formed up under the BOS while the remainder of the battlaion has a morning parade.

dangerboy said:

I can remember us joking that Juliette Coy was reformed when I first got to 2 RCR, since on CO's ruck march days, we'd be all formed up and the ill/broken would be too, in front of all of us, with their rucks at their feet...even those on crutches.  That in itself was a bit of an issue, since we were required to have a minimum weight of 65lbs in our rucks for those walks.  There was most often a decent number of folks up there.  The CO would talk to each individual as to what was up...if it was obvious he wasn't unkind to them, however he'd get up in their grill if there was hesitation and or no obvious sign of injury.  The Director General Health Services had tea and sticky buns with him one day while she was visiting us in Gagetown, and one thing in particular on the agenda was this practice.

MM 

MM. I was there for the first part of that "courtesy call" and I can guarantee that there were no sticky buns and coffee >:D

Greymatters said:

Try and abuse authority the way this CoC has (assuming, of course, there is no twisting or misunderstanding of msgs here) and you have earned an embarrassing internet thread with your kind of direction/leadership as the topic.

Leadership is not a popularity contest, yet it amazes me how some "leaders" have an Asperger-esque understanding of the dynamics created by their "leadership-style". Oh well.

Back