• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Defending Canadian Arctic Sovereignty

We can back track a mortar bomb in flight by radar but we can't predict the target of an ICBM in flight?

A warning shot in the wilds of Canada (Edmonton is pretty wild) would track with the slow motion escalation and threats that Vlad has been demonstrating. And I don't think a US President would retaliate until he saw a mushroom cloud on US soil.
The discussion was about cruise missiles which no, you can't track to their target from point of launch. And I guess Article 5 wouldn't come into the conversation at all?

The discussion was about cruise missiles which no, you can't track to their target from point of launch. And I guess Article 5 wouldn't come into the conversation at all?

My mistake. I thought we were talking about ICBMs - but @dimsum was quick to let me know MIRVs are pretty hard to predict as well.

As to Article 5 .... to be honest I don't know that I trust any piece of paper.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that we get rid of the existing FOLs and I doubt many would argue against expanding the number and the quality of the facilities at them. What is being questioned is if the FOLs should be permanently manned 24/7/365 vs deployed to when the threat situation makes it appropriate.

Again, if a bunch of Russian bombers are detected by NORAD entering our airspace I'm betting that a whole bunch of ICBMs will be incoming at the same time (and US spy satellites will almost certainly have detected Russia moving its strategic forces to heightened readiness and we would have deployed our forces as appropriate).

I’m actually more worried about the single aircraft/flight of aircraft that get thru, launch before being detected or engaged. An “Enola Gay” sortie.

Put that together with a “close coastal” shot from something like a Borei class and you’ve got the making for some real trouble.

I’m actually more worried about the single aircraft/flight of aircraft that get thru, launch before being detected or engaged. An “Enola Gay” sortie.

Put that together with a “close coastal” shot from something like a Borei class and you’ve got the making for some real trouble.

Hopefully the NORAD upgrades which are supposed to include over the horizon radars will help with the detection of aircraft coming over the Arctic (and if climate change actually results in parts of the Arctic Ocean becoming ice free we could potentially have radar picket ships there as well.

I agree with you 100% on the risk of SLCMs from the coasts. In fact I think this is the greatest potential threat. A submarine-launched missile attack from just outside the 200nm limit would be able to hit almost every major US population centre with very little time to detect/respond.

In my opinion we should push quickly on the NORAD upgrades and upgrade the existing FOLs to support the F-35's as planned. The other priority to me would be upgrading the MPA fleet (with AT LEAST a one-for-one replacement of the Aurora's with P-8s...but ideally 24+). Maritime patrol UAVs and USVs with towed-array sonars might be other options to help with maritime domain awareness.

Interesting choice of armament ....

2C5FWEGXTRARVHKHGDOST3LNKI.jpg

0x0.jpg
UGV_Mission_Master_-_Protection_4.jpg

And the LocMart Edge VXE30 referenced

Interesting choice of armament ....

UGV_Mission_Master_-_Protection_4.jpg
Canadian content alert! Rheinmetall is using an Argo from ODG as the base on that unit.

In the their inline brochure they also show an Agro (I would guess from ODG) Sherp.

Rheinmetall_Mission_Master_family_SP_CXT_XT_schmal.jpg

We can back track a mortar bomb in flight by radar but we can't predict the target of an ICBM in flight?

A warning shot in the wilds of Canada (Edmonton is pretty wild) would track with the slow motion escalation and threats that Vlad has been demonstrating. And I don't think a US President would retaliate until he saw a mushroom cloud on US soil.
A warning shot into Edmonton area even Ft Mcmurray would garner a very quick response from the US. The product coming out of those two areas if disrupted for to long will cause issues south of the border.

Not just SLCM's but "weather balloons". They could easily carry a bunch of cruise missiles that could be dropped and activated in the same way that Rapid Dragon uses them. Use the jet streams and weather patterns to float a multi missile package over the midwest and......

Back