• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deaths of four Afghan women in Kingston "an honor killing"

40below

Inactive
Reaction score
An honour killing?
Posted By ROB TRIPP RTRIPP@THEWHIG.COM
Posted 1 hour ago

Kingston Police have arrested at least three people in connection with the mysterious deaths of four Montreal women found in a submerged car in Kingston Mills on June 30.

Police sources confirmed the dramatic development in the case yesterday, 22 days after a black Nissan Sentra was found in roughly three metres of water near one of the four locks.

Three teenage sisters were found dead in the car, Zainab Shafi, 19, Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13, along with a 50-year-old woman, Rona Amir Mohammed.

La Presse newspaper in Montreal said three people who were heading to Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport were arrested yesterday morning.

Initially, police said the case was suspicious but that they had not found evidence of foul play.

It's not clear what charges are being laid, but the Whig-Standard learned that Kingston Police have been investigating, for at least two weeks, the allegation that the deaths were an honour killing.

More:
http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1668566

This is proving to be an interesting case. If they were murdered and the murderers are caught....sorry alleged murderers, what will be their defence?
If, as the article says, the three were heading for PET Airport....are they foreign nationals?
There is more than meets the eye on this one.

More than meets the eye indeed.  It'll be interesting to hear what the spin is at this afternoon's police press conference.

Something I quietly suspected when the names of the three females were released. If it is true, just more nonsense from the "religion of peace". ::)

Kinda makes you wonder what would happen if we brought back the "bad ol days" of capital punishment of cases where DNA evidence seals the evidence.. Or if we used their countries rules to punish wrong doers in our countries if they come here to do a crime and try to flee away ?

2 Cdo said:
Something I quietly suspected when the names of the three females were released. If it is true, just more nonsense from the "religion of peace". ::)

Show me one religion completely lacking members who have murdered or committed any other crimes. Just one.

Even we atheists have been known to commit one or two here and there.

Loachman said:
Show me one religion completely lacking members who have murdered or committed any other crimes. Just one.
As a member of a church that has not only had individual members commit heinous crimes, but also sanctioned and conducted some of its own throughout its "colourful" past, thank you for posting this.  When I hear sh*t like "All I learned about Islam I learned on 9-11", it makes my blood boil.  Little do people know of some facts.  Such as The Virgin Mary is mentioned more often in the Koran that in the bible.
Islam, as a faith, is indeed a religion of peace.  Those who use it as a shield or excuse to do some crazy sh*t are no more representative of Islam than I.  And I'm Roman Catholic.

OK: Back on topic.  No matter the case, circumstances or allegations, if proven to be true, this remains a tragic incident.  If there was indeed a crime, then I hope that justice prevails.

This news item is eerily somewhat similar to the Law & Order episode I watched last night.

The teenager murdered his mother because she was having an affair and her mother was Muslim, therefore God command this young man to kill her, in essence, a Christian honour killing.

The guy that played Sam Wise in Lord of the Rings was the preacher who was indicted for murder, but was found not guilty. The preacher ran a camp/school for young Christians which was in effect a producer of soldiers for the "religious war" on Islam.

I agree with Loachman - any religion is capable of producing murderers. Sorry about the tangent here....

Well having had to convert to that particular religion, all I can say is that they no one to blame but themselves for the bad reputation. Evil flourishes when good people do nothing, and that is crux of why they are in the particular crisis they are in now. Only recently have there been serious efforts to fix some of those issues, my deceased sister inlaw was one of the people working to change things from the inside. Funny when you think that what Muhammad proposed 1400 years was quite a radical shift giving some rights and protection to Arab woman which had none before. To bad his followers choose not to continue that work. I doubt the prophet is at peace.

This may already be known to some of you but if not journalist Rob Tripp's blog Cancrime can be found here:

http://www.cancrime.com/

He has been following the case quite closely.

For the sceptical-minded: a video re-enactment of how the car may have ended up in the lock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtNAuCREDD0

Canal victims murdered by family, police allege
Updated Thu. Jul. 23 2009 2:20 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Police say three Montreal sisters and their caregiver found dead in a submerged car near Kingston, Ont., were murdered by their own family members.

On June 30, Zainab Shafi, 19, and her two sisters, 17-year-old Sahar and 13-year-old Geeti, were found inside a black Nissan Sentra submerged in water, near a Rideau Canal lock northeast of Kingston.

The body of another 50-year-old family member, Rona Amir Mohammed, was also found inside the car.

Kingston police Chief Stephen Tanner told a news conference on Thursday afternoon he was saddened at the "needless and senseless loss of innocent human lives."

The girls' father, Mohammed Shafi, previously said the deaths occurred as the family was headed home after vacationing in Niagara Falls and had stopped for the night at a Kingston hotel.

Shafi said he awoke in the morning to discover that one of the family's cars was missing from the hotel parking lot.

Developing...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090723/kingston_canal_090723/20090723?hub=TopStories

I have been assured by people who can, fairly, claim to be experts in the field, that no Muslim can find any religious justification for “honour killings.” Any sheik or iman who does not, unreservedly, condemn “honour killings,” my expert source told me, should be properly described as being totally ignorant about the basic tenets of his faith.

But, “honour” and, consequential “honour killing” are fairly central artefacts of West Asian, Persian and Arab culture – there’s that word again – and we, in mainstream Canada need to ensure that they are not allowed to find any level of acceptance or understanding here. They are abominations.

Thankfully, I heard on the news that the charge is, once again, First Degree Murder. This is the most and least we can do to remind our fellow citizens that their old cultural values are unacceptable in the civilized society in which they find themselves. “Honour killings” and the cultural values that give rise to them must be wrung out of our society; those who cannot give up their old cultural values must be separated from our civilized society because they are barbarians.

Where exactly is the honour in killing a 50 year old woman and three teen aged girls?

As much as it burns my more sensible side to admit it, from the details gleaned from media reports etc when this happened I suspected from day one (ya, I follow these kinds of things, I'm a criminal justice nerd) this was a) no accident and b) had a cultural connection.

And yes, I got the 'cultural' connection from the names of the victims. Four women from a recently immigrated Afghan family found dead in a car in a canal where a car accident is near impossible. Someone tell me I'm not a bad person for assuming this (and regrettebly being proven correct).

Piper said:
Someone tell me I'm not a bad person for assuming this (and regrettebly being proven correct).

You're not a bad person for assuming the worst Piper.

+100
Kat Stevens said:
Where exactly is the honour in killing a 50 year old woman your spouse and three teen aged girls your three daughters?

Piper said:
And yes, I got the 'cultural' connection from the names of the victims. Four women from a recently immigrated Afghan family found dead in a car in a canal where a car accident is near impossible. Someone tell me I'm not a bad person for assuming this (and regrettebly being proven correct).

You're not alone: I had actually read an article on honour killings about a week ago, and I too thought this could have been an honour killing.

The entire crime was so methodical... from the backstory of the little girl "joyriding", to the boy taking the other car back to Quebec in the early hours of the morning before the family "noticed" the Nissan was missing.  Then they make an appearance on TV...  Of course he's sad and upset, he just (allegedly) killed half his family.
  Come on people, we didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

There is no place in our future as a race for "honour" like this.

It pisses me off that people import this cultural bullshit along with themselves to our country.

There are some updates on R.Tripp's blog CanCrime today including a copy of the court document.

How very, very sad for these four women who probably came to Canada hoping for a better life.

Kudos to Canadian Law Enforcement.  :cdn:

Back