• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dealing with staff...question for the wise

opcougar

Inactive
Reaction score
First off I am not the micro managing type, and don't like being treated that way either. I am currently having a bit of a problem with my WO. He just goes off and does his own thing and returns whenever

I find myself picking up stuff that needs to be taken care of by him. I am new in the role and so is he, but am relying on his experience to run a tight ship.

Your advice is welcome

Thx

Sounds like you'll get a great PER by doing all the WOs work for him?

Have you thought about sitting down with him and discussing what he expects of you, and your take on how you think the section/shop/etc should run? Maybe that might cue him that he needs to be around more.

Find another WO to ask for advice or even someone of your rank.

Then, keep things like that off Army.ca. Not the right place.

Ask other Tp Comds?  Other Officers?  Go ask "a hypothetical question" to the Adjt?

Just the fact that you are posting this stuff here and have no idea what to do makes me worry.

Nut up and have a frank discussion with your warrant of division of responsibilities, as well as your expectations of him and his of you.

This should be done as part of your initial interview and likely encompasses the PDR Part 1/2.

What's the harm in asking here, in a completely general way instead of stating specifics?  (unless the poster has posted other info that would easily identify them?)

opcougar said:
First off I am not the micro managing type, and don't like being treated that way either. I am currently having a bit of a problem with my WO. He just goes off and does his own thing and returns whenever

I find myself picking up stuff that needs to be taken care of by him. I am new in the role and so is he, but am relying on his experience to run a tight ship.

Your advice is welcome

Thx

This is not uncommon.  Man up.  Take command.  It IS your command after all.  Just be respectful.  Half the time they are goading you into assuming the mantle.  The other half of the time, they are signalling that you are not ready.  If you don't grip this, then he / she is right...

Back