• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Darwin Awards & runners-up through the years

PMedMoe said:
Well, we never started a new Darwin thread for 2011, but here's a candidate:

Man accidentally kills self in front of children

A 45-year-old man died after he accidentally shot himself while sitting in his minivan with his four children, waiting for his wife to return a DVD to a video store in Harrison Crossing, Va., Sunday night.

The man's wife had stepped out to return the DVD and said she heard a pop, the local CBS outlet reported. When she ran back to the minivan, her husband told her he thought he'd shot himself, she told police.

The initial investigation found that when the man tried to unbuckle his seat belt, he hit the trigger of his .40 caliber Glock and shot himself in the hip. He died in hospital.

So, what, no safety?    ::)

It doesn't have one like other pistols and rifles. It uses an external lever on the trigger that needs to be pushed to activate it (plus two internal safeties). 

MJP said:
It doesn't have one like other pistols and rifles. It uses an external lever on the trigger that needs to be pushed to activate it (plus two internal safeties).

Well, if it triggered that easily, glad he had it and not the kids.

(Thanks for the lesson!)

PMedMoe said:
Well, if it triggered that easily, glad he had it and not the kids.

(Thanks for the lesson!)
No Prob.  I had a good friend shoot himself in the leg playing with a glock.  We told him if he had killed himself, we would have put him in for Darwin award.

MJP said:
No Prob.  I had a good friend shoot himself in the leg playing with a glock.  We told him if he had killed himself, we would have put him in for Darwin award.

I wonder if this is a common occurrence with Glock's??

"Investigators said Wednesday that the gun the victim was carrying was not housed in a holster. They think it was simply tucked into the waistband of the man's pants.":
http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-father-had-gun-tucked-into-pants-waistband-20111116,0,1545282.story

This goes into detail on Glock "safe action";
http://www.glock.com/downloads/GLOCK_Gen4_en.pdf

Glock .40 classroom mishap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pf3ID3XQ6o

PMedMoe said:
Well, here's two potential candidates:  Two seriously injured while jaywalking in rush-hour traffic

Other links:  CP24  Toronto Star

It would seem that these two women barely made it across three lanes to the median and motorists were warning them not to cross the other three lanes but they did.  The kicker?  Apparently about 100m in either direction was a controlled crossing.  ::)

Even geese know enough to use the controlled crossing at that interesection!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg1crq46NrA
( That's the Science Centre in the background. )

http://jdgroover.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/the-2013-darwin-awards-are-out/

..and the winners for 2013 are............

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/world/middleeast/suicide-bomb-instructor-accidentally-kills-iraqi-pupils.html

Suicide Bomb Instructor Accidentally Kills Iraqi Pupils
By DURAID ADNANFEB. 10, 2014

BAGHDAD — A group of Sunni militants attending a suicide bombing training class at a camp north of Baghdad were killed on Monday when their commander unwittingly conducted a demonstration with a belt that was packed with explosives, army and police officials said.

The militants belonged to a group known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, which is fighting the Shiite-dominated army of the Iraqi government, mostly in Anbar Province. But they are also linked to bomb attacks elsewhere and other fighting that has thrown Iraq deeper into sectarian violence.

Twenty-two ISIS members were killed, and 15 were wounded, in the explosion at the camp, which is in a farming area in the northeastern province of Samara, according to the police and army officials. Stores of other explosive devices and heavy weapons were also kept there, the officials said.

Eight militants were arrested when they tried to escape, the officials said.

MORE ON LINK

"Now pay close attention.  I'm only going to do this once!"

So I wonder what the reward in Paradise is for prematurely martyring people that were bent on martyring themselves in jihad? 

MM

George Wallace said:
Question.

Did they PASS or FAIL their PO Check?    :-\

I'd have to say they FAILED the PO by virtue of not making it past the EO, though through no fault of their own...no bad students, only bad teachers and all that.

Looking into the crystal ball, I think we have a future winner:

LINK

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.
Human Barbie wants to live on light and air alone

10:47 am, March 1st, 2014

QMI AGENCY

Human Barbie doll Valeria Lukyanova says she intends to train herself to be able to live on just air and light.

"In recent weeks I have not been hungry at all. I'm hoping it's the final stage before I can subsist on air and light alone," Lukyanova told the International Business Times.

The Ukranian model and singer whose Facebook page boasts 994,000 'likes,' is apparently following Breatharianism, a mysterious cult that advocates living without food or water. A breatharian is said to be someone who never eats or drinks as they can exist on "cosmic micro-food."

The paper says that this is not the first time that Lukyanova declared something unusual.

She once said she thinks that she's from another planet, and has the ability to time travel and have had out-of-body experiences.

In a feature that Canada's VICE Magazine ran online last year, it said, "Most of the world doesn't know is that Valeria is not a real girl at all, but a time-travelling spiritual guru whose purpose is to save the world from the clutches of superficiality and negative energy."

Photos on LINK

She may have been in contact with a former Canadian Defence Minister in the past.  ;D

George Wallace said:
Looking into the crystal ball, I think we have a future winner:

LINK

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Photos on LINK

She may have been in contact with a former Canadian Defence Minister in the past.  ;D
Sounds like the old joke about the peasant who'd trained his horse/mule/donkey to live off less and less feed until he finally got him used to getting no feed at all.  The peasant was upset when the beast went and died on him at that point  ;D

Back