• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DART going to Nepal, 2015

One Canadian in Nepal is complaining that the government has not done enough to help citizens get out of the country.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nepal-earthquake-stranded-canadian-says-ottawa-not-doing-enough-to-bring-citizens-home-1.3050747

MCG said:
One Canadian in Nepal is complaining that the government has not done enough to help citizens get out of the country.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nepal-earthquake-stranded-canadian-says-ottawa-not-doing-enough-to-bring-citizens-home-1.3050747

:facepalm:

Sadly our Tardis is currently awaiting a new equipulator and we are unable to jump through time and space to rescue you and get you back to Starbucks for your Latte. Since you chosse to go to a remote country with one small airport and no superhighways you forgive our tardiness.

Colin P said:
Sadly our Tardis is currently awaiting a new equipulator and we are unable to jump through time and space to rescue you and get you back to Starbucks for your Latte. Since you chosse to go to a remote country with one small airport and no superhighways you forgive our tardiness.

As supply techs, clerks, etc so frequently tell us - "Piss poor planning on your part doesn't constitute and emergency on ours".

MM

MCG said:

I think the Canadian government is showing a very poor example of how much it cares for its citizens who choose to work abroad for development."

In a country devastated, thousands dead and injured,  and still the "me me me" attitude survives...

Perhaps they should request a refund on the consular services fee that they paid when they renewed their passports.

In their defense though, you do expect to have some sort or representative available or access to consular services when traveling abroad. Now you do need to assess and be responsible for your own safety and well being, but when you do run into unexpected situations like a lost passport for example, you should be able to go to a representative for assistance. I was surprised to learn that the Canadian Consul was a part time volunteer.

But the Feds haven't helped their cause either in the way that they have  handled some more high profile cases of late, such as Mohammed Famy's request to get a new passport after having it seized by the Egyptian Government.

Just my  :2c:

While a lot of tourists just rush to get the hell out of Nepal (and complaining that the government does not do enough or is to slow), some people want to do something for the local population.

... L’étudiante de l’Université Concordia, avec qui Le Journal s’est entretenu aujourd’hui, était de passage au Népal pour réaliser un documentaire sur les réfugiés tibétains au Népal. Mais avec la tragédie de samedi, qui pourrait avoir fait plus de 10 000 morts, elle a décidé de venir en aide aux survivants de la catastrophe...

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2015/04/28/une-montrealaise-refugiee-chez-les-moines-a-katmandou

Colin P said:
a remote country with one small airport

There are more airports than just one, but we do not yet know their conditions and what facilities and services are available, and access by land may or may not be possible.

Scheduling aircraft in and out of disaster areas is a greater challenge than most people realize. Currently, Katmandu is restricted to daytime VFR, which imposes a significant limitation. Ramp space also imposes a limitation, especially as it takes longer to load/unload cargo aircraft compared to passenger aircraft and, unless relief crews are in place (which comes at a cost), crew rest needs to occur prior to the aircraft departing again.

Loachman said:
unless relief crews are in place (which comes at a cost), crew rest needs to occur prior to the aircraft departing again.

Not if you stage out of somewhere close by (which is the case here). The boots on the ground are tenting it, if the crew is on the ground in Nepal for more than a few hours they are having a very, very bad day. Crew rest in Nepal will mean sleeping on the jet...

Biggest hurdle is just getting on the ground, they were stacking 15-20 aircraft at a time in holds today waiting for ramp space.

Loachman said:
There are more airports than just one, but we do not yet know their conditions and what facilities and services are available

Kathmandu is the only paved runway over 5,000ft long in the entire country. For all intents and purposes (ie when you consider payload weights, altitude etc...) the only option for what is headed over there.

MCG said:

Canada doesn't have an actual consul in Nepal, just a honorary consul.

Retired AF Guy said:
Canada doesn't have an actual consul in Nepal, just a honorary consul.
According to CBC radio, said honorary consul is an MD and probably too busy plying his trade, what with all the injured, to have much time for whiny, entitled people with first world attitudes ::)

Eye In The Sky said:
In a country devastated, thousands dead and injured,  and still the "me me me" attitude survives...

And will complain about the box lunch they will receive. We've seen this before.

More Canadians complaining that there has not been enough support to find and extract citizens.  DART flights will take up to 100 Canadians as far as India when departing, but that is not enough for some. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nepal-quake-canada-sends-extra-staff-but-challenges-remain-1.3052786

MCG said:
More Canadians complaining that there has not been enough support to find and extract citizens.  DART flights will take up to 100 Canadians as far as India when departing, but that is not enough for some. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nepal-quake-canada-sends-extra-staff-but-challenges-remain-1.3052786

Again  :facepalm: with those people....

MCG said:

Lovely  display of narcissism.  Well done, fellow canadians.

Loachman said:
There are more airports than just one, but we do not yet know their conditions and what facilities and services are available, and access by land may or may not be possible.

Scheduling aircraft in and out of disaster areas is a greater challenge than most people realize. Currently, Katmandu is restricted to daytime VFR, which imposes a significant limitation. Ramp space also imposes a limitation, especially as it takes longer to load/unload cargo aircraft compared to passenger aircraft and, unless relief crews are in place (which comes at a cost), crew rest needs to occur prior to the aircraft departing again.

And airports and runways can be damaged by the earthquakes, which creates a whole other range of issues.

Wonder what this'll mean for Canada's efforts?
Nepal has told foreign search and rescue teams not to come because there are already enough in the earthquake-hit country, a senior UN official said Wednesday.

Resident coordinator for Nepal Jamie McGoldrick said the government had decided it had enough foreign experts in and around the capital Kathmandu, which has been devastated by a massive quake that struck on Saturday.

"They feel they have enough capacity to deal with the immediate needs in search and rescue," he told AFP.

"Those that are already en route can come but the others are being told not to."

Kathmandu's tiny single-runway airport has struggled to accommodate the huge rush of flights bringing in aid and foreign experts.

A French military plane carrying relief supplies and medical charity workers was on Wednesday stuck in Abu Dhabi because it could not get permission to land in Kathmandu, according to a French foreign ministry source.

McGoldrick said most of the foreign search and rescue teams in the country were still in the capital ....

I guess our DART guys will hang out in Trenton a bit longer until the official word from the bosses comes down.

sidemount said:
I guess our DART guys will hang out in Trenton a bit longer until the official word from the bosses comes down.

The DART operates from a pull perspective. That means that it requires the host nation request the DART from GOC before it can deploy. It is not a push resource.

I suspect DART will go in a bit as it really seems to focus on the "post-rescue stage" and more on the "immediate reestablishment of basic services"

Back