• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

current armour officer training as a teacher?

Maxadia

Inactive
Reaction score
Is it possible to train as an armour officer currently, with only July and August off for holidays?  There might be a possibility of some release time at the end of June (last two weeks) as well.

Are these STILL done in phases, or have they switched to entire full 10 week (approx?) courses?  I'd like to apply as an officer, but would prefer to be able to commit to the time frames first.  Or are there other options for completion of courses?  I had an interview last night, but the main concern was whether I could commit the time to the courses, instead of doing 2 week modules continually and burning out at Lt.

IF there is a general start and finish dat for CAP, DP 1, DP2, etc.  that would be most helpful too.

Thanks in advance.

I don't mean to seem rude, but people get paid to answer your questions like this.

We call them recruiters. Every reserve unit has their own recruiter. Call the recruiter at your nearest armored reserve unit.

You wouldn't want to put somone out of a job would you?

CDN Aviator said:
I don't know the answer to your question.

Feel better now ?

Not really.  Just wanted to bump it up, as this forum doesn't seem to get as much use as some others, and it seems if it doesn't receive an answer the first day, it dies right off....then never gets answered.

As for recruiters, all the ones I have talked to cannot give me a definitive answer about anything unless it has to do with the actual recruiting process.  I assume in other areas it is a better situation.  I was really hoping that it might be possible to connect with someone on here who might have actual knowledge of whether these courses are still being run in modules or not.  Possibly someone connected to or in contact with the CTC Armour School.

Thanks.

RDJP said:
Not really.  Just wanted to bump it up, as this forum doesn't seem to get as much use as some others, and it seems if it doesn't receive an answer the first day, it dies right off....then never gets answered.

As for recruiters, all the ones I have talked to cannot give me a definitive answer about anything unless it has to do with the actual recruiting process.  I assume in other areas it is a better situation.  I was really hoping that it might be possible to connect with someone on here who might have actual knowledge of whether these courses are still being run in modules or not.  Possibly someone connected to or in contact with the CTC Armour School.

Thanks.

I don't instruct on their courses, but they do run hand in hand with Reg Force courses. I believe they are modular, allowing for students to complete their DP1.1 and DP1.2 over a period of a few summers if required.

You have to talk to a recruiter or someone at the PRes unit you want to join to find out more details.

Regards

Thanks, I'll keep trying to find a recruiter who can tell me more. As a teacher, I do get July and most of August off (until the last week), but I'm going to check on the possibility of getting some release time at the end of June as the last two weeks are exam time as opposed to instructional time.

RDJP said:
Thanks, I'll keep trying to find a recruiter who can tell me more. As a teacher, I do get July and most of August off (until the last week), but I'm going to check on the possibility of getting some release time at the end of June as the last two weeks are exam time as opposed to instructional time.

ARTL kicks off usually starts mid June-ish and ends in August.

Never really paid attention to the PRes courses as I haven't instructed on them.

Regards

RDJP said:

Did you contact a recruiter at a recruiting centre, or the recruiter at the local armored unit? The local recruiter will likely be able to give you a much better answer then somone at a recruiting centre.

The general recruiting centre is at the unit, as they handle as few different unit's recruiting inquiries. However, I'm sure I can be more specific to him in my questioning. Barring that, I can most likely contact the CTC Armour school.

I also have had a fellow teacher pm me, so I'm sure they will be a great resource as well.

Thanks for all the replies. I know sometimes we new people get a little discouraged on here, but we also need to remember some of you have been answering the same thing for a decade or so. :)

We had three young officers away this year for their Troop Leader training. They left at the end of June and returned at the end of August. That's about as good as you're going to get. The dates, course content and how it's conducted (modules) changes more than we change underwear. What happened this year, wasn't identical to last year and it likely won't be the same next year.

What you can depend on, is being gone all summer.

Oh, and the COCK, and plenty of it. (Confirmation Of Combat Knowledge) ;)

A late responce but in case anyone is still interested...

I just looked into this myself and was informed that Armoured Officer PRes DP1 is broken down into two Mods.  This summer (2012) Mod 1 starts on 30 May and ends on 12 Jun.  Mod 2 starts on 13 Jun and ends on 12 Aug.

Looking at last years Army Training Calendar it appears that only one serial of each Mod was run, within very similar timeframes.

I beleive BMOQ can be done on weekends, and CAP can be done in 2 week Mods for a total of 5 Mods.  All this would have to be done before beginning the Armoured Officer specific training.

You may be able to look into a short leave of absence in order to complete the necessary training.  My wife is also a teacher and did the same thing when we got posted in the event of an early deployment.  She was able to secure a leave of absence of a maximum of 1 year and her job is guarenteed.  In your case, you would only need 2 months on top of the 2 you already get off for two summers.

Hope this helps.

Back