• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CTV's stupidity or bias?

Huzzah

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm really fed up with CTV's talking heads reporting that the taliban "executed" two
South Korean Missionaries.They did not "execute" them,they MURDERED them.CTV's
use of the term "executed",is either a case of stupidity on their part,or yet another
example of their twisted world view.I think it's the latter.

Neither, just English.

Execute

4. to murder; assassinate.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/execute?r=75

I am going to have to agree with Winnipeg, (not only because hes from my town) but to execute is to indeed take the life of another. Justly or not the word is used interchangably. It isn't a journalistic faux pas by CTV.

unfortunately it is... words have cultural baggage. "execute" implies a legal status - a judgement from an authority - the use of the word 'execute' gives legal status to individuals who murdered. Knowingly or not, a news media's use of such a word gives legitimacy to a murderous bunch of thugs. They should know better, but they do not.

Winnipeg_007,
  That your dictionary includes murder under its' definitions of "execute" I have no
doubt.
My New Websters only carries the definition for "execute"...put to death,according to
law.
I'm old enough,however,to remember when the word was used exclusively to refer
to the application of capital punishment by a legal body.I realize a person can "execute"
a will,etc.
That the word can now be used to describe the killing of unarmed civilians,and other
innocents only proves how warped this new "enlightened society" has become.

Maybe it's all part of the moral relativism or political correctness that permeates
this culture.
It's now too offensive to call a murderer... a murderer.No,now he's an executioner...
"way cool",and nobody's feelings get hurt...except maybe the victim's.

I'm with Winnipeg on this (and not just because I used to live there...) For many years, "gangland execution"  or "execution mob-style" has been a common usage in both the media and literature, to refer to the killing of an individual by organized criminal groups for the purpose of setting an example or punishing those who violated the gang's "code". While we might argue dictionary definitions, I think the common usage is pretty well established.

In this case, it seems that the Taleban didn't just randomly slaughter the Korean hostages: they killed them in order to set an example or make a point in support of their efforts to free their members held by the GoA, thus it was an "execution" in the sense described above.

Cheers

Huzzah said:
They did not "execute" them,they MURDERED them.CTV's

How does murdered 'execution' style sound? Either way it was a spineless act, but thats how they do business overthere.

Those missionairies were stupid to be there in the first place, and they should not have been allowed for their own safety and protection. The blame is on themselves. A bit harsh maybe, but at the end of the day if they were not there, those two would be alive.

Preaching Christianity in a hostile Islamic state is suicide in many eyes, including mine.

Cheers,

Wes

Back