• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CTV Video of Afghanistan Fighting

Your "rights" are outlined in the Guidelines. Of course, they are open to interpretation.
We also expect everyone to stay pretty much in their lanes. I know nothing about the Air Force or Navy, so I don't speak on them. Only ask questions. If you have no experience in the military at all, let alone under fire, your lanes are quite narrow indeed.

Whether you meant the Afghan or the Canadian is immaterial to the men who responded, as that signaller is an ally. In fact, I would take exception to the same comment about an enemy combatant. I dislike those who belittle my enemy's courage, as it reflects poorly on mine. I want a brave opponent. A stupid one, mind you, but a brave one.

Anyways its great footage got me pumped.Its nice to see the media will show us up close like that.

Okay guys, I took this all in. I'll remember to stay in my lane now and keep things along the same context to myself. Sorry for being an arse.

Hey Fellas,

Just a note.....The footage you saw on CTV was actually from Combat Camera........It was good, but the credits werent' given properly. Thats coming to me from one of the photo techs here in KAF......Working on clarification.

Cheers,

HH

SigOpDraco said:
Criticism? I was just pointing out that the guy look scared s***less.

I said that he looked scared.

I didn't criticise the man.

Did you watch the same video? I'm pointing out the Afghan soldier ducking amongst the Canadians at the lower wall during the firefight, nothing about the infanteers.

I don't think he looks scared, he's talking on a radio and is probably tucked in like that because he's trying to listen, you know what I mean? It looks almost as though he's leaning against the wall to listen harder. I'd probably look the same way if I was talking on the radio. That's what I think (A man with no military experience =P).

Either way the footage is great, gives an excellent view on what Canadian soldiers are doing over there other than 'peacekeeping'.

It makes sense that the video is from the CF beacause if a reporter was embedded with the lead elements, we would have seen that video a LOT sooner - we wouldn't have had to wait a day or two.

Also, CBC has a slide show from AFG using CF Combat Camera photos as well (although they credit Cbt Cam on the front page of the show).

Happy to slag the dead, but thanks for the imagery... :mad:

just to illustrate my point a bit:

perhaps our signaller is ducking extra-low because he realizes that he is the most important man in his sub-unit? How many folks without military experience realize that? It ain't the guy with the highest rank, it ain't the guy with the biggest gun, it ain't the guy with the shiniest medals. It's the guy who can communicate the best that is the biggest asset to to his unit.

Biggest part of communication? Listening.

Food for thought.

Ever use one of those Public Pay Phones with the sound shields on three sides so the traffic noise doesn't interfer?

Well there are none of those in combat, and as a guy who often carried a PRC-25 and communicated, especially calling in air or arty, you have a difficult time hearing, and making yourself heard when the idiots around you are making all kinds of inconsiderate noise, like firing their rifles, machine guns, etc. So, you crawl into as small a hole as is possible, shield yourself from the sound as best you can and scream into the microphone, hear half of what is being said, hoping you will catch the phrase "Shot Out over"

GAP said:
So, you crawl into as small a hole as is possible, shield yourself from the sound as best you can and scream into the microphone, hear half of what is being said, hoping you will catch the phrase "Shot Out over"
Or, perhaps even just "Shot out" :)

Back