• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CTV News: 1 NATO soldier dead, 1 wounded in suicide attack

Big Foot

Inactive
Reaction score
1 NATO soldier dead, 1 wounded in suicide attack
Updated Fri. Oct. 13 2006 8:58 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

One NATO soldier is dead and another is wounded after a suicide bomber drove a car into a convoy Friday in southern Afghanistan.

Eight civilians were killed and eight were wounded in the attack which took place in Kandahar City.

Following the attack, the wounded NATO soldiers were taken to a military medical facility. One of the soldiers died in hospital

The attack, which happened in Kandahar City, damaged two NATO vehicles and two civilian vehicles, according to Abdul Wasae, a police official at the scene.

Twelve shopfronts were damaged in the blast and parts of the suicide vehicle were scattered around the scene as firefighters attempted to put out the flames.

A woman and two children were among the injured, according to reports.

NATO has not disclosed the nationalities of the two soldiers who were wounded. They were taken to a military medical facility for treatment, said Squadron Leader Jason Chalk, a NATO spokesperson

About 2,200 Canadian soldiers are based in Kandahar province. Another 100 more are stationed in Kabul.

With files from The Associated Press
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061012/blast_afghan_061013/20061013?hub=TopStories

Looks like another Canadian...

RIP to the fallen, regardless of their nationality.  I fear that Big Foot is right: another Canadian.

Get well soon to the injured, and peace and comfort the families, friends and comrades in arms of the fallen.

:salute:

The photo in the CTV News Article shows US Soldiers.  Maybe Canada has been spared another casualty, but that is of no comfort at all.

RIP

Always sad to see a soldier killed, whether it be a Canadian or another NATO country's soldier. RIP  :salute:

RIP  :salute: :cdn:  I to think its another CDN...everytime they say nato...it ends up being one of ours.

yup that seems to be the trend....RIP...prayers go out to families and Units of the fallen. :salute:
Speedy recovery to the injured

Thanks to All!

CBC News: 1 NATO soldier killed, another wounded in Afghan bomb attack
1 NATO soldier killed, another wounded in Afghan bomb attack
Last Updated: Friday, October 13, 2006 | 10:28 AM ET
CBC News
A NATO soldier was killed and another wounded when a suicide bomber attacked a NATO convoy in Kandahar City in volatile southern Afghanistan on Friday.

The attack also killed eight civilians and wounded another eight. After the attack, the NATO soldiers were taken to a military medical centre, where one died.

A car bomb in Kandahar killed one NATO soldier and injured another on Friday.

NATO did not disclose their nationalities.

Canada has more than 2,000 troops in Afghanistan, with the majority based in Kandahar. The soldiers are part of the NATO coalition that is trying to bring stability to the country to allow for reconstruction.

The attack, which occurred in a residential area, also damaged two NATO and two civilian vehicles, according to Abdul Wasae, a police official at the scene.

Continue Article

Police said that parts of the car used in the suicide attack were strewn over the site where the blast occurred. The explosion damaged the fronts of 12 shops.

NATO has said clashes with insurgents are on the decline in southern Afghanistan, but the insurgents are increasingly engaging in suicide attacks and detonating roadside bombs to undermine the Afghan government and weaken the resolve of foreign troops.

The attack comes one day after NATO forces and Afghan troops fought with about 60 suspected Taliban insurgents in the Panjwaii district of Kandahar province.

NATO spokesman Jason Chalk said the fighting, which was backed up with air strikes, left as many as 20 insurgents dead. NATO also detained two suspected Taliban insurgents.

Chalk said no NATO or Afghan troops were killed in the fighting.

Also on Thursday, a suicide bomber on foot in eastern Afghanistan attacked a vehicle carrying Afghan troops in Khost province, killing himself and wounding two of the troops and 14 civilians, according to Mohammad Ayub, a provincial police chief.

Violence in Afghanistan has been particularly fierce in the south and east of the country.

With files from the Associated Press
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2006/10/13/suicide-attack.html

Pretty much the same story from CBC. I really hope the soldier wasn't Canadian...

The crawl text on CBC Newsworld identified the soldier as American.  I would not take that as authoritative.

The audio on CTV says that no Canadians were injured, but does not provide the source of this information.

MCG said:
The audio on CTV says that no Canadians were injured, but does not provide the source of this information.
m410 said:
The crawl text on CBC Newsworld identified the soldier as American.  I would not take that as authoritative.

A little optimism wouldn't hurt. 

:salute: Another soldier pays the ultimate price. God Bless our Men and Women in harms way. :cdn:

I find myself muttering the F-word a lot these days when I read headlines like that.  So sad. :salute:

Hunter said:
I find myself muttering the F-word a lot these days when I read headlines like that.  So sad. :salute:

After reading that heading.. and uttering sad words

I then feel guilty for hoping its not one of ours

Trinity said:
After reading that heading.. and uttering sad words

I then feel guilty for hoping its not one of ours

+1 to that. I find myself dealing with that emotion each time I hear it isn't my friend. Relieved, but yet bothered at that, because someone still lost a loved one.

Thoughts and prayers to the family & friends of the fallen soldier, regardless of which nation they come from.

Whether one of ours or not, a mother and father somewhere are going to bed tonight missing a child.... Thoughts for them, a plague on their enemies.

Turkish press reported it as an US convoy that was attacked. Not that it matters much as another soldier is killed.  :salute:

Back