• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CSOR or Go to Infantry

darrk_majin

Inactive
Reaction score
I was Looking to either remuster to Infantry or take my chances of going door kicker with Csor, I am Currently a Vehicle Tech right now and i'm looking for a change. What do you you all think would be my best bet? or best way to go about this situation? Thanks. :threat:

(Title Edited by Mod to Correct Spelling)

Best bet for what?  What is it you are looking for, hoping to get out of it, etc?  If you think you can pass the test, put in the paper work and give it a shot, if you pass all the better if you fail, use it as a learning experience and go infantry or stay vtech. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

And I suppose you have read the responses to your first inquiry into changing Trades?  This advice should help you in your search for info:

poko said:
Here is the requirement to change trade

To be eligible to apply for AVOTP, the member:

Must have completed 48 months of continuous service by 31 December of the year in which the application is made.
Must meet appropriate medical category for desired MOC
Must be QL4 qualified in current MOC
Must be Pte/Cpl or if MCpl or above, must be willing to relinquish rank and pay to Cpl
Member’s occupation must be "open out" as detailed in competition message
or
compulsory occupation reassignment is necessary in the interests of the Service;
a recruit has failed the occupation training course for the assigned occupation but is recommended by the training agency to be suitable for possible reassignment to another occupation;
a change in medical classification necessitates a change in the assigned occupation but does not require release action; or
a recruit, having sufficient knowledge of the occupation training to date and, for substantial reason, requests occupation reassignment.
There the site with all the info (it from my base but it all the same )
http://edmonton.mil.ca/1asg/asu%20web/bpso/bpsohomepage.asp

I wont go into how to go about the transfer, the above post does that for me....

CSOR is a tough bunch, I saw some of the selection/trg during the summer in Pet....  so if you PT / soldier skills are up to par and you feel you ready for it, try going right over...

Although the secondary role of every trade in the army is to "act as infantry when required" I don't think I'll be offending anyone when I say there is a bit of a rift between the fighting skills of infantry soldier and a (insert non-combat arms trade here).

Examples of this are seen from the US experience in Iraq where (for example) truckers have been ambushed doing a supply run and they don't do counter ambush drills (either the system is flawed and they do not know what to do, they haven't prepared, or they lack the fighing spirit) The case of Jessica Lynch proves this  might. The reports are she didn't fire her wpn. (wont get into it any more then that)

The infantry soldier is experience in that line of work and has more training. Of course this is a generalization, as I'm sure there are (insert non-combat arms trade here) mbr could very well be an outstanding frontline soldier in very little time. However, going Infantry first would build up your skills, and probably improve you door kicking chances....

Just my $0.02

I know that for CSOR your individual soldier skills need to be solid. I was talking a member who was apart of the selection process when it first started. In short, a lot of live fire is done so you must be good and comfortable with stuff like section attacks and what not, all live fire. The navigation is challenging so be good at that, I was told to expect 5km legs. Fitness is paramount (obvisouly).

Desert Fox said:
Examples of this are seen from the US experience in Iraq where (for example) truckers have been ambushed doing a supply run and they don't do counter ambush drills (either the system is flawed and they do not know what to do, they haven't prepared, or they lack the fighing spirit) The case of Jessica Lynch proves this might. The reports are she didn't fire her wpn. (wont get into it any more then that)

American truckers have been taught counter ambush drills. Mostly same drills as us. They don't always work. It is more of a suicide run. There are different ways with contact drills, but we are not letting the world wide web know this. OPSEC now.

Do we know what trade was Jessica Lynch? Cause I'm a little lost on her story now. I don't know what to say about her. I can tell you my former section even practice section attacks and stacking drills for different battlefields.

Anywho I am not going to beat a dead horse here.
I just wanted to rant and raise a point.
Sorry for the hijack,
Cheers,
TN2IC
Infantry Wanna be.....  ;D

I have a suggestion on this.  Not knowing if you have or not but request to go on a tour to Afghanistan.  I saw how much the mech's worked to keep our LAV's in the dirt.  I was one of those before the tour who after 16yrs didn't realize how important some non infantry trades are.  The mech's that were attached to us as recovery c/s worked very hard with us.  They did shifts, slept in the same dirt as us and experienced everything including TIC's with us.  The guy's with us were all about keeping us going.  The same can be said for the 10 ton drivers, medic's and supply pers etc.  Even though they had a different cap badge on, IED's and TIC's didn't care.  Their learning curve was high but they kept the water and bullets coming to us.  There are those that were junk but for the most part we were all in it together.  So I suggest before you jump in, try a tour, go out and experience some good hard core infantry living, learn from them and then at the end of that tour decide if you want that.  If nothing else it would help you on the selection.

Back