• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CSIS training

Lex

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Would anyone be able to provide certain info or just point me in the right direction to find it...  I am curious about the training that CSIS intelligence officers are offered as well as I would like to find more details on their work. I don't understand how one is suppose to decide whether s/he wants to pursue a career in CSIS without knowing any details of their work. It would be like joining the army without knowing what you are signing up for and then either just dropping the training or deciding to quit after the training because your job isn't something you can deal with. On their website there is no mentioning of any physical requirements or tests specific to the application process. I assume, that means that work as an intel officer doesn't demand a lot from one's physical performance and that doesn't sound like something I want to do. Do they get any military or paramilitary training or is it something like occupational training for intel officer within the CF without basic military or police training? Any leads would be welcomed. Thank you in advance.

So apply and find out. They have their reasons for not putting out the requirements for all to see.

Good luck

Regards

Judging from their website, your education is paramount. I'm sure that if they contact you for further information once you applied, they would tell you what the job entails. 

I suppose they might, but doubt that it will actually happen unless you apply and get in.

Posted by Franko:
So apply and find out

Well, people tend to plan their lives around the choices they want to make in the future. Also, one can't make a career related choice that would affect the rest of one's life based on the info they provide. If I were to choose to serve in the military for 12 years in specific occupation, I'd try to prepare myself by taking a specific degree at university and going through rigorous physical training. Then after spending at least 4 years on that I'd go into service withou knowing what to expect from the lifestyle I'd have to lead during the 1st 3 years? What if it's not something that actually suits me? What... I just quit and look for something else to do? Application process takes quite awhile too. At what stage will they actually tell me what's going to happen? Why should one waste so much time on the application process itself only to find out in the end of it that it's not something you are nterested in... that's why I am trying to find all that information.

Here's what i have gathered,

When you apply, they screen the applications to pick who they want.  Then they invite the ones who made that selection to information sessions and initial interviews.  This is were you find out all you need to know.

Search the internet of articles related to CSIS, there is the same info out there about CSIS as there is JTF2 :).  From I read from various news outlets, and from their own site, thier activities are confined to inside the borders of Cananda (for the moment), and the don't carry guns.  Have fun.

Actually, there is quite a lot info on JTF2 to be able to make an informative choice on whether to join it or not... unlike CSIS. Thanks anyway.

P.S. equating communism to slavery, fascism and nazism...   ^-^   ::)

Lex;

Sir or madam,

I trust you have read through this page at the CSIS web-site which addresses the joining process for people wishing to become Intelligence Officers in the Service. Regarding the job,
An Intelligence Officer is required to conduct investigations, perform research, analyse information, and must be able to prepare clear and concise reports on national security-related matters

There are two basic parts of the trade, collection, and analysis.

Regarding the process,
Application for Employment - Assessment

Your potential to become an Intelligence Officer is initially based on a review of your Application for Employment submitted.

Information Session

Candidates found to have potential will be invited to an information session focussing on the mandate and the role of CSIS, the duties of an Intelligence Officer, hiring criteria and conditions of employment.

Regarding educational requirements,
To be considered for employment as an Intelligence Officer, you must:

* be a Canadian citizen with a university degree, and possess a valid driver's licence;

All that is required is that you possess a university degree, any university degree.

CSIS representatives are often present at University job fairs. If you are currently attending universtity  I suggest you drop by the next employment fair and check them out. They will be more than willing to talk to you about the job. They can be easily recognized as they are the only ones in tuxedos  ;D.

Yes, true. I just haven't seen them around lately.

An Intelligence Officer is required to conduct investigations, perform research, analyse information, and must be able to prepare clear and concise reports on national security-related matters
You see, that can be interpreted so many ways... Thank you, though. I also wonder about the pay and ranking system... whatever... I suppose, it's the Canadian way - applying for a job that you know nothing about, because this phenomena is not limited to CSIS only.

The only thing good about US is that they have so many opportunities for careers related to military and law-enforcement and their HR doesn't seem to be very shy in providing all the necessary information for potential recruits.

From what I gather, you want to know if CSIS is some cloak and dagger kind of operation. Well, in my experiance, they do things like security checks, and background checks, and general HUMINT. Though, with everything, you just never know.

I also wonder about the pay and ranking system...

From the same page I referenced earlier;
Intelligence Officers are on probation for an initial period of five years as part of their Career Progression program. The starting salary is $40,440 progressing to $65,080 during the probationary period, based on successful completion of training, attaining the required experience and on performance.

Are you sure you have thoroughly explored their recruiting web-site?

That's not information I am interested in. I want seniority based pay grade like in military if they have that. Or, at least, to know that there is a progressive increase in pay based on experience after the probationary period is over. They can't expect people working for 65Ks all their lives, can they?

foerestedwarrior said:
From what I gather, you want to know if CSIS is some cloak and dagger kind of operation. Well, in my experiance, they do things like security checks, and background checks, and general HUMINT. Though, with everything, you just never know.

I was actually wondering if it's more of an equivalentl to FBI... I know RCMP is, but I'd rather choose regular police them RCMP considering there is no much difference except for a few service opportunities. I still can't decided whether they have nothing to hide and that's why they are trying to pretend that they do by blowing all this smoke around them in the most obvious ways or actually pretend to be this almsot irrelevant organization by letting the media tell us that they do nothing special. 

ibucephalus said:
CSIS representatives are often present at University job fairs. If you are currently attending universtity   I suggest you drop by the next employment fair and check them out. They will be more than willing to talk to you about the job. They can be easily recognized as they are the only ones in tuxedos   ;D.

Just to be clear, so there's no confusion: is that a dandy tuxedo or just a regular James Bond tuxedo? I gotsta know.

Lex said:
That's not information I am interested in. I want seniority based pay grade like in military if they have that. Or, at least, to know that there is a progressive increase in pay based on experience after the probationary period is over. They can't expect people working for 65Ks all their lives, can they?

You dont work for CSIS for money, you do it for the life-style.  You do it for your country, just like most people join the military to server there country regardless of pay and benifets.  My suggestion to any one interested in working for CSIS is to call the HR dept or visit the application office.  Those that work for CSIS would know best.

Lex said:

I was actually wondering if it's more of an equivalentl to FBI... I know RCMP is, but I'd rather choose regular police them RCMP considering there is no much difference except for a few service opportunities. I still can't decided whether they have nothing to hide and that's why they are trying to pretend that they do by blowing all this smoke around them in the most obvious ways or actually pretend to be this almsot irrelevant organization by letting the media tell us that they do nothing special. 

Lex,

You aren't asking your questions well, and the ones you do ask are being answered.  Read what you type before you click post.  As for the payscale for CSIS, have you thought of asking them, instead of posting on an army.ca website?  CSIS is more closely affiliated with the RCMP than the CF.  You're starting to sound like a bit of a ninja sniper, and I can tell you from experience it's not a good way to be interpreted...

As for CSIS blowing smoke, why would any intelligence sector release that information?  Why shouldn't they hide that?  If you want to work for CSIS, (as in the military) you don't do it for monetary gain, and it doesn't appear to me that you have any other motivation than that.  As such, you shouldn't go near any sort of governmental job, as your materialistic ideals will not be accommodated.  Back to CSIS, given that much of their recruiting is done through the regular police forces in Canada, if you're serious about joining, you might want to re-focus on that as a career choice, should you be able to overcome the focus you have on the remuneration such jobs entail.  As has been clearly stated to you before, you may wish to re-read the CSIS website, as you've missed some blatantly obvious information.  To make it easier on you, this is the link.  http://www.csis-scrs.gc.ca/eng/employ/io_e.html  Good luck, I think you may need it.

T

Lex said:
. They can't expect people working for 65Ks all their lives, can they?
CSIS is teeming full of lawyers and MBA's, so no, they don't get capped at 65 G's. They have to compete with other levels of government, foreign governments, private law firms and large corporations. You recover from CSIS what you bring to the job, so if you have a better than average degree, with professional qualifications and are a proven competent in your field, and perhaps [hopefully] speak multiple languages besides English  and French, and you know what toes not to step on, it could be a good career for bright young patriotic people like yourself. But, if you are on some sort of Superman good vs. evil mission, they won't give you the time of day.

I was actually wondering if it's more of an equivalentl to FBI...

Ah, so at this point, I have to conclude you haven't read anything on the CSIS web-site, especially not the operational programs pages or the FAQ. I can only advise you to do some internet-based research, consider it informal training for your future career as a spy.

is that a dandy tuxedo or just a regular James Bond tuxedo?
To the best of my knowledge, probationary members are issued regular James Bond-type tuxedos; single-breasted, shawl collar, etc. After the 5 year probationary period, intelligence officers are allowed to accessorize creatively; fancy cumberbunds, velvet slippers, etc. ;)

Edited to add: Wha? 3 Posts while I was composing this message? What are you people, ninjas? ;)

whiskey 601 said:
Just to be clear, so there's no confusion: is that a dandy tuxedo or just a regular James Bond tuxedo? I gotsta know.

OMG....... I just pissed myself laughing  :crybaby:

How about this..... maybe the suit is a "raffish 3-piece suits made of cloth grown in Mongolia, spun in Italy and cut in London".  ;D ;D ;D

All in good fun chap  ;D

ibucephalus said:
To the best of my knowledge, probationary members are issued regular James Bond-type tuxedos; single-breasted, shawl collar, etc. After the 5 year probationary period, intelligence officers are allowed to accessorize creatively; fancy cumberbunds, velvet slippers, etc. ;)

That explains a lot. I thought once I saw a bunch of penguins in smoking jackets, turns out it was the watchers.

ibucephalus said:

When do they get those super-cool bond chicks?  Are they part of the "perks"  Maybe the guys in CSIS get bond girls in lieu of high pay, and the girls get [insert desired male sex icon here].  ::)

T

Back