• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl. Matthew McCully - 2 CMBG HQ & Signals - 25 May 07

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Just heard on CFRA, but can't find any links yet....will update ASAP

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070525/taliban_offensive_070525/20070525?hub=TopStories

:salute:  :cdn: RIP

My condolences to the family and friends of this soldier. Also a quick recovery to any injured.

Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan
Updated Fri. May. 25 2007 8:42 AM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

A Canadian soldier was killed today at the start of a large offensive against the Taliban in the Zhari district of southern Afghanistan.

"At approximately 8 a.m. Kandahar time today, one Canadian soldier, a member of our Operational Mentoring and Liaison Team was killed when an improvised explosive device detonated near a combined Afghan-Canadian patrol," Col. Mike Cessford, deputy commander of Canadian forces in Afghanistan, confirmed Friday.

The incident occurred approximately 35 kilometres west of Kandahar City, said Cessford.

One other Canadian soldier, also a member of the mentoring team, and an Afghan interpreter were wounded in the incident.

The Canadian soldier was evacuated by helicopter to Kandahar Air Field.
More on link

Darn!

Soldier, stand easy, your work is done

My heartfelt condolences to family and friends

At the going down of the sun
and in the morn'
We will remember them!

CHIMO!

My condolences to the family and his comrades.

Maggie

For I hold as a simple faith there's no denying:
The trade of a soldier's the only trade worth plying;
The death of a soldier's the only death worth dying.

We will Remember

The Song of the Soldier-born by Robert Service , 1916

This never gets any easier. Each time I hear news like this, I relive my own nightmare. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family as they start their nightmare journey. Stand easy soldier. Your job is done. Speedy recovery to the wounded.

Charmaine

Condolences to family, colleagues & friends, speedy recovery to the injured   :salute:

- edit to add link to map of approx. location of Nalgham -

Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan
CEFCOM NR-07.014 - May 25, 2007
News release

OTTAWA – A Canadian soldier was killed today by an improvised explosive device, while conducting a joint Afghan-Canadian foot patrol close to the village of Nalgham, approximately 35 km west of Kandahar City.  The incident occurred at approximately 8:00 a.m. Kandahar time.  One other Canadian soldier and an Afghan interpreter were also wounded in the incident.  The wounded soldier was evacuated by helicopter to the Canadian-led multinational hospital at Kandahar Airfield for treatment and is assessed as stable.  The Afghan interpreter was slightly wounded and chose to remain in Nalgham and continue supporting the ongoing operations.

The name of the deceased soldier is being temporarily withheld at the request of the family.

The incident occurred as Canadian soldiers with the Canadian Operational Mentor Liaison Teams (OMLT) were participating in Operation HOOVER, an effort involving Canadian soldiers, elements from the Afghan National Army (ANA), and other ISAF forces to consolidate security in the Zharey District.  The OMLT advises, mentors and assists the leadership of the ANA.  This professional development initiative enables the ANA to help secure peace and stability in Afghanistan and extend the legitimate authority of the Government of Afghanistan.

This incident will not deter Canadian troops from continuing their work with the Government and the people of Afghanistan.  Incidents like this one prove that, along with our Afghan National Security Force partners, Canadians need to continue working to bring about peace and security in the region.

-30-

Canadian soldier killed in massive offensive in Afghanistan
Canadian Press, 25 May 07
Article link

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - A Canadian soldier was killed Friday when an improvised explosive device detonated in Afghanistan's volatile Zhari district.

One other soldier has suffered non-life-threatening injuries and an Afghan interpreter has also been wounded, said Col. Mike Cessford, deputy commander of Joint Task Force Afghanistan.

The wounded soldier has injuries describe by Cessford as non-life threatening. The interpreter remained in the field.

The dead soldier, whose identity is being withheld pending notification of next of kin, is the 55th Canadian serviceman to die in Afghanistan.

"As this soldier was moving forward, with other Canadians and other Afghan soldiers, an ID was triggered and he was killed," Cessford said.

"We lost a good kid today. We're thinking about him and our thoughts are going out to the family.

"It's a pretty sad day. But he was doing what he needed to do, what he wanted to do."

The Canadian forces are taking part in Operation Hoover, being billed as the largest and most ambitious anti-Taliban offensive in more than six weeks.

Portuguese and Afghan troops, backed by British air power, are also part of the operation.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper visited Canadian troops in the Kandahar area this week.

This is always sad to hear this. Stand easy, your job is done!

RIP Soldier :salute:

Rest In Peace, great defender.

My condolences to the family and friends.  A quick recovery wished to any others injured.

IED's really make me angry.

Working with the ANA, when he apparently stepped on a bomb/mine, sad to lose another one.  :cdn: :salute:

Deepest sympathies to the family and friends...terrible news.

RIP, soldier.  My condolences to the friends and family of the fallen, and a speedy recovery for the two wounded

:salute:

Back