• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl. Anthony Joseph Boneca - LSSR - 09 July 2006

Rest In Peace, Joseph.
Downed while on his second tour...a Soldier to the End.
:salute:
:cdn:

My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and all those who are continuing to serve overseas. 

Rest in Peace!

Stand easy, soldier.........our thoughts and prayers are with your family and friends.

Ubique

As a current serving member of the LSSR, I can say that Tony Boneca was a highly valued and respected member of the Reg't.

My condolences to all of his family and friends, as I know he had many of both. 

It was an honour and a privilege to serve with you Tony.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/July2006/09/c8820.html

Message from her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaelle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the death of Corporal Anthony Joseph Boneca
Canada News Wire, 9 Jul 06

"It was with deep emotion that my husband Jean-Daniel Lafond and I learned, during our first regional visit to Newfoundland-and-Labrador, of the death of Corporal Anthony Joseph Boneca, a reservist from the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment of Thunder Bay, Ontario.  Corporal Boneca succumbed to his injuries in Afghanistan. I encourage my fellow citizens to pause and reflect on this tragic loss for our Canadian Forces.
    Corporal Boneca's death serves as a further reminder of the dangers faced by our Canadian Forces every day in Afghanistan and also of the steadfastness of our members who each day try to make that country a better place to live.  Today, we honour his memory as a hero who fought for what he believed in. On behalf of all Canadians, our thoughts and condolences are with Corporal Boneca's family and friends, as well as his extended military family during this difficult time. Know that we share your grief."

Michaelle Jean

Another sad day, RIP soldier, My thoughts are with the family, his brothers in arms and his regimental family. :salute: :cdn:

You have done your duty,
The day is done,
We can all rest safer for your actions,
Thankyou Cpl Boneca you will not be forgotten.

http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?category=3&id=1240

Statement by the Prime Minister on the passing of Corporal Anthony Joseph Boneca
9 July 2006
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement on the passing of Corporal Anthony Joseph Boneca.

“On behalf of the Government of Canada, it is with deep sadness that I send my sincere condolences to the family, friends, and comrades of Corporal Anthony Joseph Boneca who was killed this morning in Afghanistan during a combined Afghan National Army and Coalition security operation.

“Our prayers are with the loved-ones of Corporal Boneca in these difficult times and we stand proudly as a nation knowing that his sacrifice was not in vain; that he laid down his life for the safety of citizens in both Canada and Afghanistan.

“On behalf of Canadians, I praise Corporal Boneca's courage and self-sacrifice and I take comfort knowing that his memory will live on in the spirit of fellow CF soldiers serving around the world, and in the hearts of his countrymen who pray for their safe return.

“As this tragic moment has illustrated, there are risks to our mission in Afghanistan and I want to thank the men and women still serving there for their unwavering commitment to their mission in spite of these risks. As a country we stand proudly behind you.”

I had the privilege of being Cpl Boneca's CO from the time he joined the unit as a young and very keen recruit, until his first deployment to SW Asia in 2004.  I watched him grow from a boyish newbie into a smart, competent and well-liked soldier, respected among by his peers and superiors alike.  I had no doubt whatsoever that this young man would grow into a fine leader, whether as an NCM or, if he chose, as an officer.

Among my many memories of Cpl Boneca was seeing him off at Thunder Bay airport for his first tour in 2004, literally only days before I handed over command of the Regiment and deployed to Bosnia.  He must have had a dozen family members there to see him off, including parents, aunts, uncles and cousins.  Clearly, his was a close and loving family.  The current CO phoned me this a.m. and told me about the horrific task of visiting his parents at 3 a.m. today to break the news.  I can only begin to imagine how they feel.

I will ensure I carry the thoughts and wishes of the Army.ca family to the funeral.  Likewise, on behalf of the CO and members of the Regiment, my thanks to you fine Army.ca folks for your thoughts and wishes.

Dave Laderoute
LCol
CO LSSR 2001-2004

B Coy 19 Pl 3 Sec at LFCA TC Meaford, all send their thoughts and prayers to Cpl Boneca's family and friends.

Rest In Peace Soldier, and may prayers of support and strength be with his family and friends

Rest in Peace.

The taliban must be wondering if the lads in kilts are distant relatives of the British soldiers they fought so long a go.
The post from his former CO sent chills up me.
sorry for his family's loss and his units loss.
may it be a better world where he is ends up

May the Gods roll thunder across the fields of Afganistan for your sacrifice, dedication and service. You will be missed be all and never forgotten. RIP.

Back