• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CP Gear Patrol Medical Pack

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
Mark Wheeler, Matt, and crew have done it again.

He and a crew of medical experts have produced a well designed, practical med bag for all front line medics. I got my hands on one courtesy of Matt and gave it a go the last week or so. Here it is on the CP Gear website:

http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=611

First, the outside:

The bag is small. Its only about 16 x 12 x 5 inches (41cm tall x 31cm wide x 12cm deep) in size. The straps are adjustable and work well with almost any armour/LBV rig you can possibly have on. And its got 6x 2 rows of MOLLE weave on the edges, and bottom and 6 x 6 rows along the front, allowing you to add on modular pouches to kit out whatever. The MOLLE loops at the bottom will allow you to slide a couple straps through it to carry a light stretcher (like a Foxtrot) or a compression sack of your own gear. The rigorous double zipper is covered over by a flap protecting it from wet or dust. The best thing about this nice small bag is that it can fit smoothly into the Small Pack or be strapped on the outside. I carried it easily inside a 3 day patrol pack style backpack. It will also seamless fit inside most rucks and without any problem between the valise and ruck of the 64 pattern. I also had no trouble fitting it comfortably to my back. The adjustable shoulder straps allow you to go from bare back to full armour with plates without any fuss. And the best thing about the shoulder straps is that they are also completely removeable. To top it off, there are 2 grab handles on top of the bag for those times when you are working and have to run in a hurry.

With the MOLLE on the front and sides, its easy to attach a Nalgene bottle holder, hydration pouch, mag pouches or what ever your heart desires. I am sure Matt can set you up with what they sell.

edit- the ruler is 18 inches long.

Now the creme de la creme...the inside:

Its not got a whole bunch of room...But then again, I don't need it. If I am carrying it on my back all day, or for just one attack, I don't need to carry allot on my back if I have more resources in a veh close by.

The whole inside is backed by Velcro and all 4 pouches are interchangeable both top and bottom, or switch sides as you see fit. Better yet, if you got a system of bags, where these 4 pouches are the basics, then take them out completely and throw them into a bigger bag, or into your ruck or whatever it is you are carrying your gear in.

Of the 4 pouches, 2 are just open rectangular (see pic 6) with a 3/4 zipper allowing the pouch to be opened completely. What you see there is my partially full hemorrhage pouch. There are at least 3 tourniquets, 4 ER dsgs, and 3 packed gauze in there with room for much more. In my bag, that pouch sits at the top of the front, so that once I but through the 2 zippers I can fish out the TK's and gauze to stop the bleeds.

The other two pouches have loops and pockets inside for either airway, needle decomp, IV and/or inj kits as you see fit. I carry only 500-1000 ml of fluids but carry enough IV start kits to start 4. There is sufficient loops for most of your needs. Each of those specific bag have a quick release buttoned loop for your tape roll.

All the interior pouches are double zippered with large ends with were real easy to grab and manipulate at night with my gloves on. When opened, every pouch exposed its contents well and nothing wasn't where I had put it before. The outside labels made it easy for my assistants to grab the right pouch. And once we were done, the bag packed back up quick and smoothly, and without delay I was into the next phase of care.

My feel is that is THE med bag for medics, dismounted or not. Its not too big, and allows you to carry only what you actually need for military medicine (no c-collar required if you don't have a board). It being a compatible attachment to the outside of the issued Small pack will allow medics to carry everything for a summer overnight patrol and not give up space for their med gear.

Any questions about it...fire them up. I'll answer them if I can.

SMMT gave me the "grand tour" of his new pack today. I was very impressed!

MedTech said:
That IS cool :D I want one  ;D
Talk nice to Matt. And a couple hundred $$$ won't hurt in your persuasions either.

Remember our conversation in Jan about med bags....

Roger on the conversation ;D

And I will talk nice to Matt, oh Matt!!

SMMT,

Thanks for the review.  Took me far too long to get you the pack though.

Cheers,

Matt

Back