• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coyotes in reserve regiments and the Leopard in A'stan

cameron

Inactive
Reaction score
Pleasant good morning to all

I have two queries, for the first I already checked all the reserve armoured regiments but many of them do not have up to date info on their websites; for example, they still list the Cougar as the vehicle they use.  I would like to know which reserve regiments in the RCAC use the Coyote.  Second, concerning the deployment of Leopards to A'stan, i've been reading and hearing conflicting reports in the media.

Some reports say that it is the Leopard C1 that is being deployed, others the Leopard C2, which is it? 
Also could someone give me some insight as to the current combat readiness and effectiveness of the C2, in other words is it still one of the best tanks or is it obsolescent?  Cheers!

No Armour Reserve Units have Cougar or Coyote. 

There are no Leopard C1 in Service in Canada.  The only C1's left are monuments or targets on a Range.

Reserve units are equipped with the Gwagon & the Milcot

Upgraded Leo1's are being deployed

::)  Sorry....I didn't think it had to be 'spelled out' for anyone after saying that there are NO C1 in Service.......We are deploying Leopard 1 C2's to Afghanistan.

Clear?

I thought the BCDs here in Kelowna still had their cougars?

You thought? 

Cougars were taken away so long ago, most of us forget how long.  Feel free to go out to their compound and see if they have a Troop or two horded away.  ;D

MedTech said:
I thought the BCDs here in Kelowna still had their cougars?

In common with all other Reserve armoured Regiments, the BCD lost their Cougars in Sep 2004.

George Wallace said:
You thought? 

lol well sorry  :p I thought they still had it...it keeps showing up on their unit web site  ::) pretty misleading dont you think??

most unit web sites are not kept up to date.
They are not intended for individuals to glean intelligence from...........

geo said:
most unit web sites are not kept up to date.
They are not intended for individuals to glean intelligence from...........

Sure....tell the world of our Secret Deception Plan.  We'll now have to come up with an more devious plan for 'World Domination'.

hehe.... yeah - we'll come out with a plan on Halloween & do a review on April fools!

Well, from the front page of the unit's website:

This may well have been the Regiment’s last time firing the Cougar’s 76 mm cannon because as of September 2004 we are converting the reconnaissance role.

Pretty clear, no?

To clarify on the original point about the leopard.
Canada purchased Leopard 1A3s in 1978-79. These were designated Leopard C1s.
Later Canada upgraded its entire fleet with new turrets (designed for Leopard 1A5) and electronics packages in 2000. These Leopard 1A3s were then classified by Canada as Leopard C2s. On a related note, the tank uses the original chassis so it remains a leopard 1. The Leopard C2 therefor should not be confused with a Leopard 2. A leopard 2 has a 120 mm barrel compared to the 105 mm Leopard 1s have.

Uh... I thought we already made that clear......

Back