• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Couple of Questions

InfantrySoldier18

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey,

I am new to this forum (Signed up today). I came here to ask a couple of questions, because I researched google a lot ... and couldn't find the answers.

I am currently 16 years old, and plan to join the CF reg. forces at 17 next year, after graduation.
I wanted to know ;

- When do you start accumulating leave ? ( Does basic training count for the 2 days / months ? )
- How much total training does a Infantry member undergo before being "qualified" ? ( I know there is 2-3 months basic training, 20 days SQ, but don't know if there is more. )
- How much time before joining should I go see a recruiter ?
- How much waiting time before Aptitude test and Basic training ?

Also, I have a trip planed to Europe since a while for next year. I would like to know if I could use leave to go to this hockey trip.
I want to join the CF on July 18 next year (15/07/18) , and would like to leave to Europe in April for Easter 11 days. So about April 9 in 2016. (16/04/09).

According to what I understand, (Not sure), Reg.Forces accumulate 2 days leave per month is service, so I would have served about 8 months in the military, for a total of 16 day leave.

This is my main problem joining the CF, don't know if I will be able to go to this trip. ( Already paid .. )

Thanks.

-Future Infantry !

Most of your answer have been answered many times on this forum use the search feature, As for joining on July 18, I wouldn't count on it it doesn't make sense you don't choose when you start with the Canadian force you haven't read anything about the recruiting process did you ? The process is a lengthy one and the times it takes from application to job offer fluctuate A LOT, you could be in 3 months after you sent your application or it could take you a year and a half no one knows and with barely the minimum requirement I would say the latter is more likely but that is just my guess. Good luck with the process and don't plan your life based on your little plan with everything set in stone because it wont happen.

InfantrySoldier18 said:
- How much total training does a Infantry member undergo before being "qualified" ? ( I know there is 2-3 months basic training, 20 days SQ, but don't know if there is more. )

If you join as Infantry, you will go on BMQ, following that your next course would be DP1. Infantry recruits do not attend SQ/BMQ-Land. Also, between finishing BMQ and starting DP1 you will be in PAT Platoon waiting for the next available course to start.

InfantrySoldier18 said:
- How much waiting time before Aptitude test and Basic training ?
There are other things you must complete in the recruiting process than just your CFAT.  Also, the time from completing your CFAT(and finishing everything else) to starting BMQ varies greatly, some people have waited a long time, others not as much.

InfantrySoldier18 said:
Also, I have a trip planed to Europe since a while for next year. I would like to know if I could use leave to go to this hockey trip.
I want to join the CF on July 18 next year (15/07/18) , and would like to leave to Europe in April for Easter 11 days. So about April 9 in 2016. (16/04/09).

Don't expect to join the CF on the day that suits you. You will get into the CF when it happens(provided you meet all requirements, spot is open, etc).

Also, even if you have accumulated enough days for your trip, you may not be allowed to go. Generally, you will only go on leave during leave blocks(winter, spring and summer), and some long weekends(eg Easter long weekend) during the year. You can request leave for the dates of your trip, but your unit may deny it as there could be a exercise, or other training planned that you are required to be on.

InfantrySoldier18 said:
This is my main problem joining the CF, don't know if I will be able to go to this trip. ( Already paid .. )

Even if you apply sometime this year, you may still be waiting to finish the recruiting process/waiting for your phone call to go and able to go on your trip. The process can be quite long to get through(some have waited over a year to get in).

Well, happy about answers I got.
I said I was planning on entering July 18, but I meant around that time I want to sign the papers to go to screening etc.

I guess I'll have to push the military away a bit longer to make sure I can go on that trip, kind of mad about it. Is there a minimum time after signing the papers and going to your first military event (Bmq) ? I could sign the papers before going to gain a bit time ... I really want to join.

I have read about the application process but couldn't find any precise answer.

Well, thanks sir.

The reason you didn't find any answer is because there is no set timeframe for application process, what I would do if I were you is fill the application and send it and do cfat before going to the trip. You will most likely be able to take it fairly quickly after you send your application. The way the system works now is pretty much anyone who apply will get scheduled for the cfat, then the strength of your application will determine if you will be able to get to the medical/interview, you may be in for a pretty long wait for that part so try to do the cfat, do the trip, anyway when you will be back chances are you will have some waiting to do before you get the call for interview/medical.

InfantrySoldier18 said:
- When do you start accumulating leave ? ( Does basic training count for the 2 days / months ? )

You join and you are entitled to 20d/yr right from the get-go. As a new recruit, there is very little say you have on when and where you spend this (ie. "I want to burn 5d annual leave so I can go to Florida during the college 'Spring Break'"). Your CoC will essentially tell you how to burn your days up as the leave schedule is made up so all 20d are used. Usually that will entail 2-3wks at Christmas, 2-3wks in the summer and 1-2wks at the end of the fiscal season, or what we end up calling 'Spring Break'.

You should notice that the times I gave far exceed 20d and I am not saying that this is the final word of leave breakdown. Perhaps you are on course for when summer break normally happens, then you won't get one or have it delayed; you need to use days to go home and see your sister's new baby, then it takes time from the other portions of yearly vacation.

A common fallacy for even serving members is the 2d/mon. Those are called 'Short Days' and you are not entitled to them. They are designed to be grace days your CO can give you as a reward for hard work. Some units enforce that you use your 2d/mon and others deny them altogether. My unit usually uses them as time off after an exercise.

I would encourage you, since you are new to the site, to sit back and read. Read a lot. There is a wealth of information here. Read the infantry board and specifically the pinned posts (ie. Life as an Infantry Solider'). Some threads may be huge and quite daunting but read them from start to finish.

If you have any questions about the infantry, feel free to PM me.

InfantrySoldier18 said:
Well, happy about answers I got.
I said I was planning on entering July 18, but I meant around that time I want to sign the papers to go to screening etc.

I guess I'll have to push the military away a bit longer to make sure I can go on that trip, kind of mad about it. Is there a minimum time after signing the papers and going to your first military event (Bmq) ? I could sign the papers before going to gain a bit time ... I really want to join.

I have read about the application process but couldn't find any precise answer.

Well, thanks sir.

As I understand what you are saying you want to go into the Recruiting Center around that time but it can and will take you months, if not longer, before you are actually IN the CAF and start earning leave.  For some around here the recruiting process has take up to two years so, go into the recruiting center when you planned but, you will most likely be gone and back from your trip well before you get hired.  "Signing the papers" as you call it and being sent for training is at the end of the recruiting process after everything else is done.

I'll read the post-its this week.

I wanted to know when I need to go to the recruiting office so I wouldn't have to wait 2years after my trip, earlier I go, earlier in the CF

Got good answers, thanks

InfantrySoldier18 said:
I'll read the post-its this week.

I wanted to know when I need to go to the recruiting office so I wouldn't have to wait 2years after my trip, earlier I go, earlier in the CF

Got good answers, thanks

Ahhh, such youthful exuberance and naivete.  Remember what it feels like as you move through the recruiting process and get more jaded and frustrated.  lol. Other then to answer some questions the recruiting center wont do anything until you are at least 17 and then you may find yourself competative for a position by age 18 or later.  If you collect a pay cheque from the CF before you are 19 I'll be surprised.  I'm not trying to pi** on your dreams but the reality of the situation is what it is and to be calculating leave entitlements,  training times for courses not even scheduled yet for a trade you arent even old enough to apply for is pretty premature.  Focus on high school, then your trip then the rest of your life.

Yes, I am planning ahead. This is what I want to do, and why not ? I want to gather the information I will need to know to make good impression on the interview etc when the time comes. Yes, this is in a long time, but this is what I really want.

Anyways, thanks for the income. I'll be submitting my application at 17ish. In about a year.

Thanks.

Please make sure you finish high school first.
Despite the fact that the website says a minimum of Grade 10 is acceptable, know that you will be competing against many, many people, some of which may have university degrees, or more life experience, which will make them more desirable candidates.
Volunteer work, sporting activities, and a high school degree with good grades will go a long way for a 17 year old applicant.
Good luck!

Yep, planning to finish high school with decent grades. I play a lot of teqm sports as hockey for 10 years, team captain 8 years. Very physically fit, can do 15-20 pull ups and still working on them
Thanks,

Thought of a couple other questions while reading the post its.

Is the application process to join the VanDoos the same length ? (Since they are french, must have less applicants (?) )
Do you get to choose if you want to be Mech' or Light ?
Except LavIIIs, what other difference is there between Mech' and Light ?

InfantrySoldier18 said:
Do you get to choose if you want to be Mech' or Light ?
Except LavIIIs, what other difference is there between Mech' and Light ?

You don't get a choice to go to a Mech BN or a Light BN.  The Regiments will send you to whatever unit has the priority of new soldiers.  The initial training for all Reg force soldiers is the same no matter if they go to a Mech or Light BN.  The Maj difference between a Mech and Light BN is the vehicles, Mech BN use the LAV III and LAV 6 to get to the objective while Light BN use other methods of insertion (Walking, Jumping or Air Mobile).  However just because you are in a Mech BN does not mean that you will not do Light Infantry training and vice versa a Light BN still trains people on Mech warfare. 

Far too much info, most of which is not relevant at this point in time.

The basic facts.......you apply to the CF as an "Infantryman", after that, it's out of your hands.  If you happen to get a job offer and accept, you then go to BMQ in St Jean.  After that, you go to which ever unit you were assigned to at the time of enrolment and then your actual "infantry" training progresses from that point on.

You do not apply for specific "Battalions/Regiments/Units", all that is assigned well before you join.

So if you want to do some "advance" planning?  Start studying..........  If you don't score well on the CFAT/TSD, you can forget about the CF all together.

When you say forget about the CF all together, does that essentially mean that a score not deemed competitive on the CFAT/TSD closes the door on your chance in the CF forever? Is there no way that one could go about reapplying?

snasd17 said:
When you say forget about the CF all together, does that essentially mean that a score not deemed competitive on the CFAT/TSD closes the door on your chance in the CF forever? Is there no way that one could go about reapplying?

The term "competitive" is subjective and truthfully, means nothing what so ever to anyone, other than your CFRC who just wants you to leave happy and satisfied.  So your Recruiter says "Your test scores are competitive!"  But if you asked "competitive" compared to what or "competitive" compared to who?, I highly doubt you would get an answer which has any real meaning or substance behind it, other than "Compared to the Anglophone/Francophone applicant population".

So, CFAT and TSD are only a couple of parts to the big puzzle and there is still more to be added to that, so consider those two items alone, as the "building blocks" from which a possible career in the CF is built from.

At the present time, the only thing that could possibly be rebuilt, is the CFAT portion and doing that, probably isn't worth the effort and would have limited impact.

Thanks for the answers,

Both Mech and Light seem great ! :)

@DAA: Yes, I know, studying and school blablabla military wannabe. I know that I want and will join the military when I can, I am studying hard in school to get good grades and I am preparing myself physically also. Nothing wrong with looking up some more info on the military vocation.

I just have to say, the most recent part of this thread makes me smile.

As a more "mature" applicant (read: "old", I have teenagers myself!), I am finding the Q & A very telling about the generation that is coming up behind us.

They ask questions, but they don't really want to hear what the answers are... after all, they know all about getting good grades and 'blah-blah-blah'.. A little BMQ might be a bit of an eye-opener for the average 18 y/o I bet!  ::)

:2c:

Back