• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

Servicing is a just in time process
When I mentioned servicing, I meant utilities like roads, sewage, water and power. All of which has to be in place before shovels go in the ground.

Electricity and gas (so long as it is still allowed) is relatively easy. However, some suburban areas in southern Ontario are water deficient and need to lay long pipelines so as to not deplete the aquifers. Sewage is probably the biggest one. When all the bruhaha was going on about Ontario opening up greenbelt land, it was highlighted (I can no longer find the article) that it would take about a decade to upgrade the wastewater treatment system that service most of York and Durham regions.

When I mentioned servicing, I meant utilities like roads, sewage, water and power. All of which has to be in place before shovels go in the ground.

Electricity and gas (so long as it is still allowed) is relatively easy. However, some suburban areas in southern Ontario are water deficient and need to lay long pipelines so as to not deplete the aquifers. Sewage is probably the biggest one. When all the bruhaha was going on about Ontario opening up greenbelt land, it was highlighted (I can no longer find the article) that it would take about a decade to upgrade the wastewater treatment system that service most of York and Durham regions.
Goes without saying but who pays for it? If it is the building consortium's bailiwick, they won't spend a dime until they are ready to take the lots to market: thus the just in time comment. The municipality has to put it in the budget for their obligations and that can be a year or two down the road. Folks tend to vote out Councillors who vote for large tax increases. All in all, it is a fine balancing act. If Ottawa were to front the entire bill for all the pipes and roads required and provide the money directly to the municipalities then you might see builders moving ahead but there are always strings attached to their funds and their normal approach is to provide only a portion. With a normal grant of 20%or so, the municipality is still looking at a large outlay. With all the good intentions in the world there is a finite amount of cash available to the town. Unlike OW they have to balance the books.

Northern Ont. town considers selling land for $10 to boost housing

Bonus,

The incentive program would also offer to waive property taxes on new homes for a certain period of time.

Somewhat related, but also covers immigrants’ dissatisfaction with the job market, affordability, our health and education systems and even lack of political accountability for corruption are leading many to give up on the Canadian dream and go elsewhere or even back to their home countries.

Northern Ont. town considers selling land for $10 to boost housing

Bonus,
Would it surprise anyone that this land gets bought up by friends of council, developers, and investors who then flip it for a profit or hold it to drive up demand?

Would it surprise anyone that this land gets bought up by friends of council, developers, and investors who then flip it for a profit or hold it to drive up demand?
Have you been to Cochrane?

Is the “danger” that the price of lots is going to get “driven up“ from $10.00 each to $100.00 each?

I grew up in Northern NB, where 20 years ago most people would have signed over the land to you to take it off their hands to save having to pay the property taxes. Now those lots are going for $200K-300K. It is sometimes about the long game.

I grew up in Northern NB, where 20 years ago most people would have signed over the land to you to take it off their hands to save having to pay the property taxes. Now those lots are going for $200K-300K. It is sometimes about the long game.
I was posted to that neck of the woods, once upon a time. While, undoubtedly there are some nice properties, a lot of it was rock or swamp (so. much. Swamp). It is unfathomable that some of it could now be netting the kind of money.

Have you been to Cochrane?

Is the “danger” that the price of lots is going to get “driven up“ from $10.00 each to $100.00 each?

Underappreciated.

How come the mosquitoes get all the glory? 😁

This may, or may not, be of interest to buyers and sellers across Canada.
8 Nov., 2023

Here’s Where You Can Buy a Single-Family Home Below the National Average in Fall 2023

Somewhat related, but also covers immigrants’ dissatisfaction with the job market, affordability, our health and education systems and even lack of political accountability for corruption are leading many to give up on the Canadian dream and go elsewhere or even back to their home countries.

They’re just not experiencing it the way they should.

And then there's this...

So they lived there for 9 years, on their own property, and now it's an issue.

Without knowing all the details, this comes across as an RM that is being vindictive. Particularly in light of him just barely losing the election... Nothing is more vicious and petty than local politics.

So they lived there for 9 years, on their own property, and now it's an issue.

Without knowing all the details, this comes across as an RM that is being vindictive. Particularly in light of him just barely losing the election... Nothing is more vicious and petty than local politics.
Evicting early in the school year/ start of winter is nigh on indefensible, and the kids should not have to bear the brunt of this, but I'd have to say that "what comes across" the most out of that article is how well it was written to evoke sympathy and how little effort went in to researching and accurately depicting what is almost certainly a messy conflict in which McDermot-Fouts' hands are considerably less clean than portrayed.

10 minutes in the Whitehead site council minutes would have shown the the reporter that council denied the application for Hydro service to be added to the property in 2014 right around the same time that the permit/mobile home application was denied. 2016 a hydro service was approved- expressly for agricultural livestock use. It also would have let them see council statements about the order. So they applied, got denied (reasons not given, neither in this article or another I found), went ahead did it anyway, got found out years later, multi-year legal fight begins.

This looks a lot more like 9 years of thumbing their nose at the RM living in an unpermitted dwelling with a hydro service they lied about to get finally came to a head vs. "9 years later now it's an issue."

Edit- story from 2014

Last edited:
Kicking people out of their homes, in this housing crisis is bad press and won't with the RM and supporters.

I'm willing to bet there is historic bad blood between this family and the RM.

Interestingly, apparently the power corp will hook up your power without a permit... Who knew ?

Interestingly, apparently the power corp will hook up your power without a permit... Who knew ?
But it looks like the hook-up was approved, but for the cattle outbuilding only. I wonder who MacGuyver’d the mains into the mobile home? 🤔

Back