• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cortisone Injection

B

bran

Just a question to everyone. Has any of you ever had a cortisone injection? If so could you tell me your experiences with it. I'm currently deciding whether to have one done or not, and would just like to know if it's helped anyone else out who may have had it done.

Thanks

I had one done in my right hip (for bursitis), just before going to Afghanistan.  The injection itself was painful but it kept my hip from bothering me while I was on tour.  As a matter a fact, it didn't bother me for about a year.

Info

Maybe this should be in the Medical sub forum?

Had one in my knee.  It didn't hurt too much going in, but was totally ineffective.  I was pain free for 3 days.

Had one in shoulder for torn rotator cuff and one in each knee....all seemed to help quite a bit.

And after Recceguy gets done with screwing with my senile old mind I'll probably need one in the temporal lobe also!

tango22a

Thanks for the replies, I've done physio and low level laser for about a month/month 1/2 so far, and for 2 months in March/April and still not a great improvement, so I'm hoping the shot will take care of my tendonitis. If anyone else has had it done please let me know. All the feedback is appreciated.

IIRC the shots (plural) came in a series of three (3) spread over two (2) weeks. Then you had to wait six months before having another series of shots....cortisone is a steroid and they don't want to overdose you.

Sorry, but it has been over fifteen years since I have needed cortisone shots.

Cheers,

tango22a

Had one in my elbow.  The pain of the injection was worse than the pain it was intended to treat. However, the injection did exactly what it was supposed to and my elbow healed up just fine.

Gave a couple, never received.

The shot itself will hurt bad, afterward, you will have 2-4 weeks of pain free movement as the steroids anti-inflammatory effect is at its most effective. Then if you have not healed, the pain will slowly return.

The only real drawbacks...pain and risk of infection immediately. Also if its for tendinitis, there is a risk with repeated injections for the tissue to weaken. But your doctor will explain that to you.

What are you getting the injection for?

Had one - painless for me (great doc), until the freezing that went in with it wore off.  However, no problems with the tendon again until recently, and that was 30+ years ago.  If people are getting repeat injections in the knees over a few weeks, it's likely not steroid but Synvisc or something similar.  For those that had pain, there is relatively large amount of stuff going into a relatively small space - til it absorbs, it'll hurt a bit.  It's often frozen up some to take the edge off or it goes in with the steroid, depending on the person doing the deed.  If physio isn't working, it's a decent option to settle the grief.

MM

SFB said:
Gave a couple, never received.

The shot itself will hurt bad, afterward, you will have 2-4 weeks of pain free movement as the steroids anti-inflammatory effect is at its most effective. Then if you have not healed, the pain will slowly return.

The only real drawbacks...pain and risk of infection immediately. Also if its for tendinitis, there is a risk with repeated injections for the tissue to weaken. But your doctor will explain that to you.

What are you getting the injection for?
It's for tendinitis on my knee. The doctor said that if physio didn't help, then cortisone is the next option. So it looks like I will be going with the injection.

I thought having tendinitis was a disqualification? I think that is what I may have, I have a Dr. appointment 3 days before I ship for BMQ and I will find out then if this is what it is. If it turns out to be tendinitis well I get discharged? or well they help me with it? I am worried that I may fail BMQ because of it although it doesn't hurt unless I jog a lot. More playing on my mind then anything lol. And do you think it would be good for me to get a shot 3 days before BMQ??

Thanks,
Kody

I don't think a cortisone shot 3 days before BMQ is a wise idea - you might just worsen things by training it too early afterwards.  Tendonitis won't disqualify you or get you discharged - however, you may have some problems keeping up during BMQ if it's active when you get there.  Your call.

MM

KodyN202 said:
I thought having tendinitis was a disqualification? I think that is what I may have, I have a Dr. appointment 3 days before I ship for BMQ and I will find out then if this is what it is. If it turns out to be tendinitis well I get discharged? or well they help me with it? I am worried that I may fail BMQ because of it although it doesn't hurt unless I jog a lot. More playing on my mind then anything lol. And do you think it would be good for me to get a shot 3 days before BMQ??

Thanks,
Kody

KodyN202:

I'm NOT locking this, as there are more folks than you involved in the discussion.  You have posted this question on THREE forums (so far).  Stop it.

For an explanation, go here:  http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/89344/post-877728.html#msg877728

Roy Harding
Milnet.ca Staff

Back