• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cooks ( merged )

• Thread starter RebornXmetalhead
  • Start date
Hi there I was wondering if any cooks could tell me how a usual day is? Do you do PT every morning or do you go straight to the kitchen to cook a meal. How much time in the field do cooks get? Do you get any infantry training for example do you ever go the ranges.
What would the percentage to civilian to military cooks be.
As anyone known of any cooks being able to switch trades during training? Also I would like to know is after having some training would you be able to get a tour. How often does a cook get a tour?

Another thing is my questions would be more directed to a Army cook (Combat cook) Can a cook do any special training besides just cook stuff. For example the pistol team or something.

Oh and another question. For a highly fit person how tough would it be to get Para Wings. Is this offered to a cook often?

Is it tough to go up the ranks in the Profession?

Thank you very much :salute:

Derek said:
Hi there I was wondering if any cooks could tell me how a usual day is? Do you do PT every morning or do you go straight to the kitchen to cook a meal. How much time in the field do cooks get? Do you get any infantry training for example do you ever go the ranges.
What you the percentage to civilian to military cooks be.
As anyone known of any cooks being able to switch trades during training? Also I would like to know is after having some training would you be able to get a tour. How often does a cook get a tour?

Another thing is my questions would be more directed to a Army cook (Combat cook) Can a cook do any special training besides just cook stuff. For example the pistol team or something.

Oh and another question. For a highly fit person how tough would it be to get Para Wings. Is this offered to a cook often?

Is it tough to go up the ranks in the Profession?

Thank you very much :salute:

God bless you Derek.  Although I was not a Cook, I've always held fast to my belief that this trade was/is one of the hardest working, most maligned, and often ignored in the entire pantheon of Military Trades.  Thanks for showing an interest in it.

I cannot answer your questions, as I don't have the requisite background - however, I'm sure a Cook will be along shortly.

Retired CC said:
I've always held fast to my belief that this trade was/is one of the hardest working, most maligned, and often ignored in the entire pantheon of Military Trades.  

Agreed...also quite influential....a nice cook who's quick with a joke or a smile can make your day,

a surly one can kill it

I'm not a cook either, although it was my first choice when I joined (ended up in the boring old infantry instead). Let me tell you that anyone who malignes or scoffs at a cook is almost guaranteed to be a reservist who's never been overseas. I'm not exaggerating one little bit when I say that the head KO is one of the most important and crucial positions in the camp, and rightly so. During operations the work of a cook is very demanding, starting the day early to prepare breakfast, and often working late into the night to ensure that soldiers coming back from long patrols and night operations don't hit the sack hungry. I can't speak for everyone but in my circle it was generally agreed that if any "perks" showed up, like extra air-conditioning units, the cooks should have the first pick, because happy and well rested cooks == happy, un-foodpoisoned troops. 

Agreed...also quite influential....a nice cook who's quick with a joke or a smile can make your day,

a surly one can kill it

You've got it completely backwards. If you like your food, then YOU better be the one who shows up at the meal line with hat in hand and head bowed in deference, paying the good cook every courtesey he/she deserves.  We had a grizzled old KO who never ceased to jeer and frazzel at the young troops (like me) at every meal, would bellow and curse at you if you had a split second of indecision, and thought nothing of pressganging off-duty troops for menial tasks which were beneith his dignity. We ate like kings and loved him like a father. 

That's quite a mouthful for someone who isn't actually a cook, but I do take my culinary delights seriously.

Sounds like a cook is a well liked fellow! Anyways can anyone answer my questions? Is there any cooks around this forum?

Derek said:
Sounds like a cook is a well liked fellow! Anyways can anyone answer my questions? Is there any cooks around this forum?

Son, I'm sorry - I really thought there'd be a Cook along - there still may be.

For what it's worth, I've sent a couple of email messages to old Cook friends of mine - let's wait for replies before we give up hope.

And you're right - Cooks are usually well liked fellows!

In the meantime - I'll do a little research regarding your original questions, and I'll post them tomorrow night - they won't be right from the "Horse's Mouth", but perhaps the "Horse's Ass" might be able to steer you into at least the right direction!!

Thanks alot Retired CC :salute:

And if any cooks come around please try to answer some of these questions.

Derek,

Look below on the threads, there is a similar inquiry about cooks - there is poster called caper861 who is a cook - he was last active in July 20 - send him a PM - that might help,

cheers, mdh

mdh said:
Derek,

Look below on the threads, there is a similar inquiry about cooks - there is poster called caper861 who is a cook - he was last active in July 20 - send him a PM - that might help,

cheers, mdh

Derek,

I'm going to assume that you took the above advice and got GOOD information from caper861.  Anything I might offer would be hearsay only (not to mention mixed up with my own opinions - of which I have too many).

Please let us know how you make out, and what you eventually decide.

Good luck.

Retired CC

Cooks work hard and for long hours. They don't have time to be dinking around the internet.

That's why you haven't heard anything.

:salute: to Eagle Beak (EB) and Bernie (3 PPCLI C Coy c1982): on ex up at 0430 and finished work at 2030 (or later if the troops were out on a night ex). Always hot food, always good, always fresh baked goods overnight. They set the standard I applied to all cooks I encountered through my career. Most met it.

Acorn

from what  i remember of watching the cooks at various bases
up at early hours,  we would go pick up the breakfast rations at 0dark30 and the cooks would already have them ready and be making the breakfast for the rest of the mess hall. so i would have to say  they are up very early if they are on breakfast details.

long hours are the normal day for them.
there is not a lot of time to do much between meal hours,  guessing 0530 would be the morning shift for a cook,  mess hours 0630 till 0800 for breakfast, then clean up and get ready for the lunch , 1130 till 1300 , then clean up and prepare for supper , 1630 till 1800
then clean up and go home.
so depending on your mess duties you do have long days , especially when it is hot and humid out, i do not wish to be in a hot kitchen in the heat.

courses I think most courses would be open to you besides cooking courses. just have to earn your way on the course like any other CSS person.

People here may or may  not know  but the Cook at the GG's house in Ottawa is CF chef,  a very  good one  at that. So you have the chance to aspire to cooking at levels that  most chefs cannot dream of. There are international cooking contests just for army  cooks,  one navy  guy from Base Toronto entered one year I was there, he went to France I think for the contest, did not win but had fun.

Yeah most cooks do tend to become over weight a little but that  is not because they are lazy, think there is too much good food around to try.

Physical fitness on the one base where I spent most of my time was a personal thing and guess for cooks you woud have to do at strange hours and not expect a lot of group PT outside of course time.

Cooking courses are not all how to cook,  but as you go up the ranks, expect budgeting classes, food prep, storage, health codes, fieild operations, meaning setting up and operating int he field, including saftey and army stuff like how to defend yourself and the camp. how to order food,  how to cook for large groups, etc.

I have never had any  serious complaints about army  food cooked in a kitchen, field kitchens are the best, nothing beats the smell of fresh food in the morning.

if your going in as a cook good luck and enjoy it, because your cooking fr your friends and they count on your for good hot food, and a good joke to begin their day

The cooks, when not being tasked out in the field (depending of the unit) ,are working in the messes on base. So ,they're doing their job all the time. I figure that is a good point for them.
Be good with them and they'll be good with you. If you get crappy food for some reason, it is NOT the cooks fault! They do their best to feed you with what's available and the money they have.

I've been on taskings where the cooks had control on the budget and, needless to say, they fed us with the good stuff!

You get the first smile of the day from them guys! Can't beat it!

Hello, from Caper861 a girl!!  The one thing about being a good cook is you got to get along with people and leave the cranky's home.  The two things I learned through all of my years as a cook is 1: remember that the people you are serving are out there in the cold and working their a$$ off, they are having a meal but at the same time having a break so it won't kill you to smile it makes their day and 2: wear a watch and learn to use it since timings are the most important thing but don't pantic since this is something you learn to manage throughout your life.  I started in kitchens when I was 8 and joined the military in 1993 and served until 2004 when I was released on a 3b medical.  I thought of changing trades once and got the change from a chief clerk to go work a a clerk for 6 months.  Clerk is good but not for me.  As a cook, you have to like to be up on your feet and busy.  Socializing is another big one since everyone comes to the kitchen at one time or another.  We do work early and stay late, have people tell us that it doesn't taste like moms, drive trucks, play solider when in the field, and listen to people's stories.  I loved being a cook.  Where ever I went my glass was never empty and I always had a friend.  Just enjoy your job and try to get out and spend a day in the life of some other trades so you know what they need for there day, and give them their rations.  Plus it never hurts to through a few juice boxes or cookies over the side of the trailer to the "boys".  I you need any more info then please get back to me and I will do my best to answer all of your questions.  Good luck.

whats the usual promotion rate for Cooks?

Edit: I very much do want to join the Army as a Cook and just want a bit of extra info

Derek said:
What would the percentage to civilian to military cooks be.

Whoa, I knew I should have been online here a little more often! As a retired cook, it sure is great to hear so many kind words about our CF Cooks. I can echo & return those remarks about the proud units & soldiers I had the privilege & honour of serving, and serving with. Which included the 2PPCLI (79-84), 3RCR (84-86), and PPCLI Battle School (86-90) in Wainwright.

I did however initially start out as a Patricia in 79 and shortly after 031 training I was standing on the parade square at Kapyong Barracks volunteering in the slave trade for what was supposed to be a 6 months stint as a "cook's helper" and ended up remustering 3 years later!

For those who might remember, these were the days of (God bless his sole) Sgt/WO Jerry "Hippy" Hipson and WO Joe Short, KO.

The slave trade in the early 80's was a dangerous gamble the battalion took in helping support trades when short staffed. I believe the infantry lost a few good soldiers to MSE Op's, Mil Police, Sup Techs, and 2 cooks I know at that time who eventually remustered. What was I thinking?

As for some of your questions, I can answer from what was the past, but doubtful it's changed much. We always had the opportunity to be part of the Airborne, JTF, Naval Boarding Party (it's actually encouraged!) and CF Sports. PT was normally carried out before late shirt after early shift in Army Units. I never did see a day of PT during my 3 year stint with the Navy, unless you count what they call now-a-days Express Test. Although limited with the Navy & Air Force, I do recall with the Army, rifle training/re-qualifying was carried out twice a year. I'm sure done much more with today's current climate of deployment. It used to be you were required to be TQ (QL) 5 qualified to go on a tour, but I went to Cyprus (82/83) as an OJT Cook, still an Infantryman. We currently take (and encourage) newly trained Ordinary Seaman to the Persian Gulf on OP APOLLO for 6 month deployments. As for promotions, just the same as most other trades. We have our slumps too.

The only downfall, if you want to call it that, as a cook (as with all support trades) you're likely at one time or another to be posted to Sea! Although I thoroughly enjoyed my transition/tour with the Navy, as Chief Cook of HMCS Ottawa in 96, a few cooks have had difficulty with the unique culture and vice-versa of course. I was very fortunate to also get time with the Air Force in Edmonton and Communications in Masset, BC (Queen Charlotte Islands). So it helps to be diversified. My heart however still belongs with the Army. Never before have I been treated so well, as I did with the Patricia's. I of course returned the gratitude.

If you really do enjoy cooking and the service, then I highly recommend the trade. You won't be disappointed, but it does help to have think skin.. The rewards far outweigh the means. For more resources, feel free to visit the web site I've set up for CF Cooks. You'll find a lot of currently serving cooks with the Army who will be more than happy to answer more of your questions. Be patient though, they can be a shy bunch. As you'll notice from our own message board, there is not much action! Go to http://members.shaw.ca/cfcooks/

Cheers, and good luck!

Michael Greer, CFM (ret'd)

for spelling..

Thanks for that post, I thought it would be dead by now. I am going to go reserves as a cook. Eventually I might go reg.

Hey Micheal did you get any other courses while being with all of the different units. I was kind of hoping to maybe get a few infantry course and I would like to get some jump wings. Probably doesnt happen often, if at all.

Anyways thanks for the Great post.

Take care.

Hello Derek,

Thanks, you're welcome, and best wishes with your employment as a Cook with the Reserves.  I started as an Infanteer, so I didn't seek further training in the combat arms once I re-mustered to Cook.  However, I do know that in some regiments cooks are required to maintain weapons training, etc. I do believe you can request jump training in some units as well.  Not sure if this applies to Reserve Units or not.

Hope this helps.  Cheers,

Michael

Since this thread is also a peon to the cooks - may I add my.. guess it should be two loonies here - I always made it a point to peel spuds for the cooks, and when transport corporal, to deliver the necessary propane, fuel their trucks and lend a spare truck for them to get away to shower or what-ever. You can't go wrong looking after the cooks! Nothing but respect for them - the field ones that is and those at the remote bases - Alert (1976), Egypt and Cyprus in my case. Please pass on these wishes to all the old and current cooks! One thing.... it's been 22 years... What is the recipe for those western omelets? Honestly - I still dream of those!

I have to say.. the cook trade is a thankless job at times. But when is comes to a hot soup on a cold day.. it sure makes you day bright. BTW.. people should make friends with a cook.. they are usally good at helping you out. And I tell ya..a crash course on potatoe preparing, armed with a NATO 45332-654578-1224 Kitchen knife... there is A LOT of potatoes to cut up for breakfast in the field kitchen. Trust me...I don't mind working on there MLVW truck when it comes to hauling the trailer around.

JackD said:
One thing.... it's been 22 years... What is the recipe for those western omelets? Honestly - I still dream of those!

Jack, I can assure you, that respect goes both ways.  Nothing is more appreciative than the support received from guys like you.  More often than not, there was someone there to put cam up on my Flying Kitchen, or dig my slit trench for me, while I'd be getting things on the go.  Mind you, they were also the ones gratefully receiving an extra serving of choice.

Did you want that recipe for a Western Omelet for a couple 100?  ;D

Here it is for 1, I figure you'll know how to increase the recipe;

2  eggs           
    2 tbsp / 30 ml  fresh milk
    Salt and pepper, to taste   
    1 tsp / 5 ml  butter   
    1/4 cup / 50 ml  finely chopped ham   
    2 tbsp  / 30 ml  chopped red and/or green pepper   
    2 tbsp  / 30 ml  finely chopped onion 

Beat together eggs and water; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Heat butter over medium heat in an 8-inch (20 cm) non-stick omelet pan. Saute (fry) ham, red and/or green pepper and onion until tender, about 2 minutes. Pour in egg mixture. As mixture sets at the edges, with spatula, gently lift cooked portion to allow uncooked egg to flow underneath. Cook until bottom is set and top is almost set.

Slip spatula underneath the omelet and fold in half. Slide onto a warm plate.

Alternately, you can remove filling from pan, then add egg mixture and placing filling on one 1/2 the egg/pan, folding over the filling when botton is set.  Cook approx 1 min,  then flipping egg onto other 1/2 and cook until centre is done, approx another minute.  Enjoy.

Cheers,

Mike

Back