• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cooks ( merged )

• Thread starter RebornXmetalhead
  • Start date
Start your application NOW. It will take sometime to get your Prior Learning Assesment done. You can apply unskilled now and once your chefs course is done you MIGHT be upgraded to semi skilled. You can be selected as unskilled and go to BMQ without your semi skilled status confirmed. That puts you through BMQ and your PLAR will settle out hopefully before you start your occupational training. 

Thank you everyone for information. Just a few more questions..how many days a week does a cook work in regular and in reserve?
Are you required to work wherever and whenever asked? Is the work very stressful?

LoneSoldier said:
Thank you everyone for information. Just a few more questions..how many days a week does a cook work in regular and in reserve?
Are you required to work wherever and whenever asked? Is the work very stressful?

I'm not a cook, but I'll offer some general answers for now.

If you're working on a base you'll work something like a normal work week -- with shifts as necessary to cover the kitchen's hours (breakfast starts early so the cooks are at work before what you'd think of as normal working hours in the civilian world, for example).  If you're at sea in a ship you should plan on working every day.

In the regular force, you will work wherever and whenever you are told, doing whatever kind of work you are told (which may from time to time include work that has little or nothing to do with your trade).  In the reserve force you'll attend regular, part-time training with your unit and may have the opportunity to apply for periods of full-time work, but would not normally be required to do that.

Keep in mind that although military cooks can work in some pretty whacked-out places and times, we are cognizant of the fact that you need to have time off and get some sleep.  If you start the early shift, for example, you will likely get off early and vice versa.  Even at sea, you will have a chance to sit down and relax from time to time.  By and large, military cooks generally work better hours than their civilian counterparts and the environment, although demanding, is less stressful than in some restaurant kitchens (if Gordon Ramsey is an example of a typical kitchen).

Hi there,
I have reviewed all the jobs available with the Canadian Forces and I honestly feel like I would do well as a cook. I hear a lot of people feel like this is a lower class job for people who dont do well on the CFAT however, this is about enjoyment in my career. I have also heard that cooks work from 6 am to 9 pm at night. Does anyone know if this is true? Any other information is welcomed :)

Thanks,
Sarah

Cooks can work earlier then 6am.  But you won't have the same people working a 15 hour day,  it would be broken up into shifts.  I'm sure someone that is a cook or knows more about their employment can enlighten you with more info.

'lower class job"??  We loved our unit cooks way back when...........

Like any job in the military, you start out as a cook learning basic skills.  As you progress, you'll get more into planning menus, purchasing supplies, and supervision of junior cooks - including giving the same lectures and one-way conversations that you received when you were young (and promised that you'd be different).

Cooks are well respected and one of the hardest working trades in the navy. They do work in shifts onboard some guys early for breakfast and some guys late for dinner etc. in my opinion they do work much harder than some of the other trades onboard.

There are some amazing cooks and terrible cooks. If you are an amazing one, nobody sees you as lower class at all!

Thanks everyone for your comments! I absolutely love cooking so I know I would enjoy this......however I forgot to mention that last spring I did my cfat, passed with flying colours, did my medical and was supposed to go in for my interview but instead was told that even though I have my highschool diploma, I did not have grade 12 math so I couldn't finish the process. I was devistated. Is this still true?

Grade 12 math may be required for some trades,  but it isn't required for all trades.

When you applied before was it for cook,  or another trade?

Single most important people on board ship after the triad. Morale depends a lot on the quality of the food on board. Cooks should feel they are important and that their job is a gratifying one for sure.

sjeadie said:
I hear a lot of people feel like this is a lower class job for people who dont do well on the CFAT however
Sarah
You hear wrong I'm afraid.

...If Connaught Ranges ever gets invaded, I'm going to rescue the cooks before anyone.

;D

Hornblower said:
Single most important people on board ship after the triad. Morale depends a lot on the quality of the food on board. Cooks should feel they are important and that their job is a gratifying one for sure.
Agreed. Every time on BMQ our platoon gets in ****, we always know the mess makes up for everything.

I was fortunate enough to work with a retired Army cook, Civvy side. He was doing the job of 3 people in the kitchen, with more accuracy, precision, and flair than anyone else. What a great guy to work with!

Get Nautical said:
Depends on your instructor, but it was not ridiculous like BMQ, You will be issued only three sets of cooks whites, (one you wear & one set ready in your locker for inspection) for which is not a biggie except at the end of the day when your all fighting for like one or two washers. Make it a habit to check your pockets for markers etc.

Do order an extra pair of parade boots before your course (So you dont screw up your nice boots from boot camp as you are expected to wear those in the kitchen, once you get posted you will wear a Steel toe boots or re-inforced toe combat boots (the Gortex style re-enforced boot) until then PIA

You will march every morning to CFSAL FS&S bldg. In Cadpat or NCD's
Change into whites have an inspection, they are looking for clean pressed whites (dont worry if there not 100% because it is impossible after a certain amount of use and bleach (and the staff should understand this), clean fingernails, silly paper wedge and name tag that hangs on centre top button, polished boots, haircuts, second set of whites (Pants/Shirt/Apron) hanging on hanger that you hold out for inspection.

After inspection hang 2nd set back in locker (expect to change if you get the set your wearing to dirty)

Small Quantity Cooking in units similar to high school cooking (you have your own Stove, knives, mixing bowls etc
(they show you, you make it) as well as theory mixed in.

Large Quantity will have like 5 or so students (under supervision of an instructor) in Salads, Bakeshop, Mains, Sauces and soups etc, also do time in pots, front of house (a week in each department)

Field Phase in Cadpat or NCD (Stores might of issued Cadpat to Navy pers for that)
When I did it was a week, done in a parking lot during the winter) learn about how too set up, tear down field kitchen, Imersion heater, Gasoline powered stove that looks like it was leftover from Korea

Taking turns serving the steam line, running things as you would a real kitchen, feeding Staff, Visitors, yourselves QL5 students and Stewards

All shifts are about 8hrs, sometimes more
Small quantity 7am - 4pm I think (Breakfast eaten at mess hall before class)
and Large Quantity and Field phase is alternating shifts (so a E-shift and L-shift) Early Shift 5am-2pm Late shift 10am to 7pm or so
but if your late shift you will usually have to get up for PT as a course at 8am or inspections etc

There are differences between other bases
allowed an internet connection/laptop in room!
allowed alcohol in our shacks fridge at the time! remember its a privilege that can get taken away
Some course members were allowed to stay in PMQ's if they had family (not sure the details on that) but my friend going through SQ in Wainwright I'm pretty sure was not allowed those conveniences.
No revile, except your buddy's might throw a pillow at you, no lights out like there is at boot camp, just get a good decent amount of sleep and work as a team.

It was 2006 when I did mine so things have most likely have changed and I was only guessing at what the timings were, been too long ago

they also ran military courses out of Georgian college for awhile as well.

also worth checking out
http://members.shaw.ca/cfcooks/ and http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2384782821&ref=ts

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/97860/post-996531.html#msg996531
Above quote from: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/98859/post-1030547.html#msg1030547

More threads
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/103898/post-1106232.html#msg1106232

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/96822/post-1131732.html#msg1131732

Gaara said:
Hey. Yeah there is other trades.I got sucky vision to and they told me I can be a cook, medic, or a clerk.
[/quote

Are those  the only trades you qualified for?

You replied to an eight year old post, from a person who hasn't been active since May 2006....

.....just sayin'......

PMedMoe said:
You replied to an eight year old post, from a person who hasn't been active since May 2006....

.....just sayin'......
My apologies, didn't read the date  ::)

Back