• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Controversial contractors paid $2.4M by Canadian Forces

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
We are the people of Canada too. We didn't give up our citizenship when we signed on.

"But I don't trust the People of Canada. "

I understadand that you may be bitter. Thank you and your kin for their service.

I wish you well.

I served in the 70's not a pleasent time. I was about as gung-ho as its would be possible to be.

I hope that you can also see my concern about the - tail wagging the dog?

Jim Seggie said:
How do we make these posters? I feel artistic today.

"The CBC - trashing the military effort for half a century!"

Not a demotivational poster, and the subject is not the military, but it fits the bill I think.  ;)

Swingline1984 said:
Not a demotivational poster, and the subject is not the military, but it fits the bill I think.  ;)

BAhahahahahaha :rofl:

Oops... For a minute there I thought that it was a joke  ;)

TN said:
One thing that blows my mind is the "Taliban Propaganda Watch" topic on this forum. Who's side are we on? NATO or Al-Qaeda? Any "reporter" can go on this site, and "research" our forum. Bringing more fuel to the fire.
Happy to take this one, since I populate that thread. 

When you read the statements of Taliban spokespersons in the media, some sound like they're just giving their side of the story.  If you see more of the Taliban's material, you realize just how much they exaggerate. 

One example:  overall, the Taliban was reporting 14 Canadians killed for every one actually killed (see attached).  See that in any mainstream media?  Not so much. 

Another example:  how about the Taliban claiming a Red Cross report says their dead don't rot?  I'm still waiting for media to pick that howler up.

If this is how much they're exaggerating on their web page, could they be doing that when they make other statements to the media?  I'm guessing yes.  But if folks don't see what the bad guys are saying in general, they can't compare, can they?

TN said:
Hey Jim, I thought we were soldiers. "To close with and destroy the enemy"  ;D
Although not Canadian, a quote from George Washington applies here to some extent:  "When we assumed the Soldier, we did not lay aside the Citizen."  That's inscribed in one of the main structures at Arlington National Cemetery in Washington, D.C.

TN said:
Remember this is all my opinion. I am very bitter these days.
More than entitled - also good to share it here.

milnews.ca said:
When you read the statements of Taliban spokespersons in the media, some sound like they're just giving their side of the story.  If you see more of the Taliban's material, you realize just how much they exaggerate.

Yes, and YOU bring it to the English table and let every Canadian Anti War supporter fight their case against the Harper government. Now who this the enemy?

Regards,
An Afghan Veteran

TN said:
Now who this the enemy?

Not him.

You need to calm down dude. Honestly.

I know you got much of your mind but your focusing on the wrong targets.

TN said:
Yes, and YOU bring it to the English table and let every Canadian Anti War supporter fight their case against the Harper government. Now who this the enemy?

Maybe you haven't heard of the right to free speech, or freedom of the press?

We live in a democracy,  not  a dictatorship. Frankly, I find your bitterness towards Canada disturbing.

CDN Aviator said:
Not him.

You need to calm down dude. Honestly.

I know you got much of your mind but your focusing on the wrong targets.

May be I am, Pat.. who knows. Hints why I'm getting help.

Postmedia News' version of the story:
An American private security firm whose employees have been implicated in the killing of civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan was paid nearly $2.4 million to train Canadian soldiers last year.

Documents tabled in the House of Commons show Xe Services, formerly known as Blackwater, was providing select troops specialized training in precision shooting and defensive driving at the company's North Carolina facilities.

Other soldiers were trained in bodyguard and close-quarter combat skills.

Not all of the training was done by the company's staff, the documents say. In many instances, the Canadian Forces supplied its own instructors or simply used the company's extensive training complex ....

It appears the NDP read Postmedia News - this from Question Period yesterday
Ms. Christine Moore (Abitibi—Témiscamingue, NDP): Mr. Speaker, the Conservatives often use a company that is known for having killed many civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan for training our troops. Blackwater's past was so dark and its image so bad that it had to change its name to Xe. Xe has become the Conservatives' company of choice for training our soldiers. The government uses its services regularly on untendered contracts. Why is there no call for tenders when the government hires a foreign private company to train our troops?

Hon. Peter MacKay (Minister of National Defence, CPC): As always, Mr. Speaker, that is not true. Academi has facilities in North Carolina that offer a number of technical ranges that we do not have here in Canada. We contract facilities for short periods of time as a most cost-effective means of investing in our troops for training, as opposed to building fixed expensive infrastructure here in Canada. We use these technical ranges for specialized skill enhancement, such as defensive driving. We continue to invest in ensuring that we have the best trained forces in the world ....
  A bit more of the same on the link.

Some Liberals need to do more homework re:  company names - highlights mine from QP yesterday:
Hon. John McKay (Scarborough—Guildwood, Lib.):  Mr. Speaker, our military has the justified reputation as a smart, ethical and effective force. It is therefore disheartening to see the Minister of National Defence issue a contract to BlackBerry, formerly Xe Services, now Academi. Changing names does not change a vigilante culture.

The world's largest mercenary army has been accused of murdering Afghanis and Iraqis with impunity and immunity and lying to Congress. That is hardly the way to win the hearts and minds of civilians.

Why would the minister sign any contract with this appalling Blackwater company.

Hon. Peter MacKay (Minister of National Defence, CPC):  Mr. Speaker, we do not have a contract with BlackBerry or Blackwater at the Canadian Forces. We do in fact contract out for very specific purposes involving training. At certain times of the year, when facilities in Canada are not suitable for the type of training required, we invest in that. We invest in the training. We invest in the equipment.

I would hope that the member opposite in the third party in the third row would be a little more forthcoming in his support for the men and women in uniform.

"...Mr. Speaker, we do not have a contract with BlackBerry or Blackwater at the Canadian Forces."

Actually, we do have a contract with BlackBerry. It is the "smartphone" of choice for the CF after all.

These quotes from both parties are disheartening. Are they really that clueless?

Teeps74 said:
Actually, we do have a contract with BlackBerry. It is the "smartphone" of choice for the CF after all.

These quotes from both parties are disheartening. Are they really that clueless?

Yes.

And so are their supporters.

Jim Seggie said:
Demotivational poster material here, can any one make it?

"The good old CBC. Undermining military efforts for fifty years!"
To Mr. Seggie I couldn't quite find a picture to suit your caption, but I hope this one works
KW
motivator758c0c0abb3b1d6dfe2400151ca9a6e014bed4ab.jpg

I vote for pressing the politicians to divert that extra taxpayer money pissed away on CBC extravagance to be used to make relevant posters highlighting the history of CBC trashing the Military for the past 50 years. This is a very relevant part of our Canadian Heritage that has not been taught in our education systems.  ;)

Teeps74 said:

Still technically correct though isn't it? We have a contract with RIM, or other carrier, who supplies us with Blackberries. Not a contract with Blackberry ;)

Back