• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Constructive Criticism

UnwiseCritic

Inactive
Reaction score
With my short time in the cCF I saw a recession in professionalism, often in places where need professionals the most. There are professionals  unfortunately they are few and far between.(My opinion of a professional is how one conducts themselves on a personal level and what they dedicate to their job)  And something has to change and Canada has too fill its role on the world stage. As being small but punching way above it's weight class.
I saw our PT levels drop, leaders lead by rank and right not by leading. I saw our training have nothing to do with the upcoming deployment and everything to do with getting officers promoted (check in the box training). And even then setting sub-standard training curriculums, one of repetition and never pushing new boundaries, staying within the comfort zone due to a fear of failure that the system produces. I have also witnessed the "drag your feet attitude towards everything" I could argue that this stems from the inability of leaders to be innovative. This though could be in kind too certain units poaching certain individuals from the ranks, as they should. I have seen units because of poor leadership hold back extremely capable people from trying out for these units because they felt it would be better for them in the long run. The effect of this takes the wind out of people's sails, not just too the applicants of those units. But the people around those people and future applicants. And then the worst of all is the sense of entitlement I see from people. I'm talking about the people who have been in such and such longer than another individual and they feel that they are entitled to the good go. Even though the other guy conducts himself on a way more professional level and his motivation is much higher. So, let’s call person A Mr. Entitlement. He always falls back on his time in  to "prove" his worth and  that he deserves that spot on course. And usually some incompetent "leader" or let's say person with rank believes he's right. So now person B,  Mr. Motivated realises that hard work gets him nowhere and starts to slack off (waiting for his turn). As he should...Some may say, usually the guy that is lazier of the two. Others see this happen and fall into the same rut. I know I did and I allowed others lack of professionalism to affect my levels of professionalism. Which I can only blame myself for.

I will now touch on some of these topics on a more personal/in depth level.
        The fear of failure created by the system causes leaders to have an approach of incrementalism and leads them to never try new things. I have witnessed this time and time again in my brief period in the 3rd battalion. We always start at the lowest level, pwt, pairs, group, section, etc. And then we peak out. It's a great way of doing things. As bullets are none too kind. But once we have achieved that no one knows how to progress. And we revert back to IBTS and thus there is no room for improvement or growth. Or even to experiment with new things. This is because a lack of vision that the leadership has and if they have vision it is because of who they are not the level of education they have . And they are not sure how to achieve their desired end state and in the worst cases even where to start. So they opt for normalcy because it is safe. When in reality we should get to point where we fail. Because then we will know what our limits are. So there should be bold moves to try new things in training.

As for work up training, it wasn't geared towards preparing the troops
for overseas. There was a severe lack of training for an operational
capacity. I felt it was designed for officers to practice/get a check in
the box so they could be on their way to their next promotion. We did
weeks of attacks in open fields. We never shook out in a patrol or came
up with sop's or gained any sort of cohesion in that capacity. We also did very
little convoy ops all it was, was a 15 min drive with one ied on a
bridge. And there was no room for teaching there was just an aar at the
end of it. Never once did we get to make adjustments for our errors. It
was all theory.
      However at the time I believed we would receive more training as that
was just desert ram. Maybe it was just too shake out and work as a
company and the little things that would help soldiers out on a day to
day basis would come later. So on maple guardian I was expecting that.
But my platoon was the only ones who deployed on it and we only deployed
in support of it. We were to be ANA soldiers (actors). And the other members of
3VP were guys who would not be deploying, and they were going to be the
men actually receiving some training.
      It was a good exercise but there was no time to teach and allow people
to practice skills. Maple Guardian was more of a test than it was to
develop or hone any existing skills. As you can only get so much out of
an AAR. Because of this lack of room too practice/experiment prior to
the ex. Soldiers did not get as much out of the ex as they could. So it
was more time and money spent without the best results. And I found that
there was hesitation, a lack of decisiveness and confidence by some
members of other units. Luckily the 3rd sent mostly men who had
previously been overseas so we faired out pretty good.
As for the leadership I don't think it is up to a standard it should be
at. There is plenty of people in leadership positions that aren't
leaders. It is not the individual’s fault it is the systems way of
selecting people to be in charge. They are leaders by title not
personality or experience.
Somewhere in my training it was  said "leaders are the people selected by a
group of people with a common goal and he knows the best way of getting
there" (It's not 100% the same quote but same idea) Because they are
expected to make the best decisions with the group in mind and therefore
should not have personal interests in mind. That being said there cannot
be a complete lack of ambition.
The system does not allow the group too select their leaders. And the
followers should select their leaders because it can be dangerous when
leaders select fellow leaders. As there may be a tendency to pick people
with weak personalities because they won't oppose the person above them
and may not have the groups best interest in mind so decisions will be
made for personal gain.
In my personal opinion a leader should be picked by the group. He should
be someone that others strive to be. And the said person should have vision
and a strong personality. With experience to back up the decisions they
make. So they should be hand picked from the ranks and should be
silently rated by their associates. That way the people picking them will have
a better understanding of them and know that these are the leaders the
followers are picking. Because what good is a leader if he has no
followers, could you even call him a leader? The chosen leader should be able to enable others to do
things they would not have been able to do without said leader. That is what I saw the army lacking in.

If you look at the history of leaders and followers in armies it was
based on a gap. That gap at first was based on family name and what came
with that name. Then it was based on wealth,  only when people realised
that being someone's ancestor (being of blue blood) did not make you a better leader. So
people started buying their commission. But that didn't work either
because people realised it was stupid. How could wealth make someone fit
too lead? So in essence it has always been the haves and have nots. I
would argue that during those periods those were the two groups of
people who were educated and time to worry about things other than the next meal. So in modern times we based leaders on
previous education. But currently I believe we are passed that as the
gap between an NCM  and commissioned member is getting smaller every day.
So as I have mentioned personalities previously I would go as far too
say that leaders should be based solely on personality. Take Lord Nelson, Chruchill, Rommel, or my favourite TE Lawrence (only because he managed to lead a foreign people and practically invented modern guerrilla warfare). What separated them from others? Was it their education? Wealth? Family? Probably all of them too some extent. As these would have shaped their personalities. They personalities polished by certain factors from the previously mentioned made them good leaders.
So I could now argue that one of the only discernible gaps between the two groups (commissioned and non-commissioned)  in our army is an individuals personality.
Some examples of poor leadership, all because of weak personalities; on
a mountain ex in Kamloops we had the privilege of being accompanied by
our OC and CO. At one halt we had a guy pass out and CO decided to have
a nap on the side of the mountain and our OC felt that the best thing to
do was jack the guy up. Even though he was pretty much having heat
stroke and couldn't do anything about it. And the whole time we were out
there the OC was telling our nav team what to do and on multiple
occasions sent us in the completely wrong direction.
On desert ram we had our day company attack. Our OC sent us over the top
before H-hour. Honest mistake, somewhat understandable. So we opened up
on the enemy. But then a ceasefire came over the radio because we were
supposedly out of range. But my section had M203s landing on target. The
weapon that had the least amount of range. We didn't listen, we kept
firing after a brief 3 seconds of looking at each other with dumbfounded
looks on our faces. So during our AAR our CO says the troops didn't know
the max effective range of their weapons and that is why we opened up.
He was just trying to save face for our officer. Also understandable.
But if our OC had a strong personality he would have admitted his
mistakes there and told us good job. And we only would have thought more of him. He was a decent officer though.
As for the low standards set all you have to do is look at jump company,
our supposed "elite". The minimum standards makes it so most everybody can
make it. So how can one take pride in what they do if they have one of
the worst and least fit soldiers in battalion beside them doing the same
thing as him. Because what good is gold if it is tainted with led?
On the last coopers test I bombed it on purpose. I got 8/100 just to
see if  anything would happen, nothing happened. Aside from the small
jacking I received for my sideburns being half a centimetre too long. So
why do the coopers test if the results don't matter. At minimum
they should be posted up and spur on some competition.
And when we train we should train not just do things for the sake of
doing things. An example of this is jumping for the sake of jumping.
What's the point of taking a bunch of guys that just got back from an
airborne exercise and jumping them out of a sky van and all they do is
pack their kit and walk off the drop zone? The time and money spent
versus training value is way out of proportion. If your going to jump,
jump them tactically and have a couple hour ex out of it where they
either hit an objective or seize an objective. Also I believe you
shouldn't strive for the minimum standards set by your unit. You should
look at the people who are better than you and try to get as close as
possible to achieving their standard and do things that they do to get
there. This is at unit level and as small as something as mountain man.
I did the training program last year and it injured and beat up most
guys and none that did the program even did extremely well. The people
who did the best in out battalion didn't even train with us one bit. So
why not look at the winners and train like they train. I think it to be
rather obvious but this unit seems to be going backwards rather than
forwards.

Let the fireworks begin

I had to go back and check the date of this post a couple of times as I thought I was back in 1981 for a minute

Thank you for a thought provoking first post.

First: it would have benefitted from a few minutes of formatting work on your part, making it easier to read.

Second: I will address just one of your points. You said:

In my personal opinion a leader should be picked by the group. He should be someone that others strive to be. And the said person should have vision and a strong personality. With experience to back up the decisions they make. So they should be hand picked from the ranks and should be silently rated by their associates. That way the people picking them will have a better understanding of them and know that these are the leaders the followers are picking. Because what good is a leader if he has no followers, could you even call him a leader? The chosen leader should be able to enable others to do things they would not have been able to do without said leader. That is what I saw the army lacking in.

This topic is debated again and again in both civil and military circles. Situational leadership, which is one popular form of it, is not well regarded in the military, primarily because it is situational. The best leader for task A might not be the most suitable leader for task B and so on. It makes organization and administration, sometimes called management, very, very difficult. But, interestingly enough, we have, traditionally, used just that technique to select potential leaders ~ many "selection board" tests employ situations that test for the "emerging leader." So, we they (the CF) ('m long retired) recognize that you are, probably, right: it would be ideal to have the best leader for each situation ~ best but not practical.

I just want to emphasize a different way of thinking, the military has it's reasons. I have seen lots of good officers and thus a good investment for the CF. It's just too bad that a lot of officers come along that can't do their job aka a bad investment. It's money wasted and potentially dangerous. And I have seen these officers promoted time and again just too get rid of them. But I only got one view of system, the recieving end. I just don't like always thinking inside the box. Innovation wins wars. Though I'm out now so I guess it doesnt matter. But I'm hoping this forum gets people thinking. Identifying problem areas in the CF and coming up with ways too solve them. But take what I say with a grain of salt as I only attained the lowly rank of Pte.

Not slagging you for being a "lowly Pte", but your appreciation of a good officer and mine are likely to be entirely different. I think a grain of salt may be several metric tonnes short of the requirement.

Yes that is a valid point as there is a lot more to being an officer/nco than what I always saw. But I came to a conclusion that a leader is there too serve the troops and the troops are in turn there to obey them. Obviously this balance can't always happen or we wouldn't battles, but I have had people in charge of me who I wouldn't trust at all to lead me in any real situation. Which is ultimately what leaders are for, at least in the infantry. But once again I never got too see the whole picture.

Strangely enough, as a leader, I have had troops who I didn't trust would follow orders in any real situation as well.  It's a two way street.

What is your impression of a good officer, unwisecritic ?

Officers do not necessarily have to be such great leaders of men
but, by reason of their accountability to the crown, they must be able to make an appropiate decision based on information coming from their NCMs,
such as Section Commanders, Sgts, WOs. etc.
That is to say that leadership abilities are so much more important within the ranks than they are for officers.

Yes it's definetly a two way street, just some people have a higher level of accountability and responsibility..

A good officer to me is someone with extremely good judgement, listens to his warrants, sgts, mcpls and even here's out a pte from time to time. He puts his mens need before his own, yet not before the mission. Though there is that balance of is the mission more important than the man, and what good is the mission without the man. He/she pushes there troops asks a lot of them but not more than they themselves can give. As I said before they enable their troops to accomplish more than they thought. They mentor future leaders. They don't use an extremely authorative approach. They don't put themselves above the people below them, if that makes sense.

There is a lot to a good leader. I can give examples of people but through this website that is impossible. It's just that too many times I've seen potentially good officers use there troops to advance their own careers. Sometimes just to get a better pension and that is not only my opinion but one that was shared by a lot of my old bn. I am glad too say that things changed as I left. I'm not entirely slagging them off as they did a lot of good with the bad. I may just expect too much from people. I know people on these forums see problems with the cf everyday but never do anything to change it. I guess it's kind of like the genovese syndrome. I myself am guilty of it.

I'd like to point out that inovation and outside the box thinking has likely killed a lot of people as well.

I'm not sure I get what your gripe is.  It seems it might be the training and or the leadership.  Or both? 

As far as leadership goes not every officer is going to be Alexander the Great.  And frankly it would be a disaster if they all were.  imagine every platoon commander or OC coming up with their own unique way of thinking outside the box.  What a goat rodeo that would be.  What the CF needs are solid leaders that can follow orders, make solid sound timely decisions and get the job done.  We have doctrine and ways of doing business.  We do the mundane training like open field company attacks and craptacular defensive position exercises because it is part of the basics.  Solid soldier skills.  Skills that unfortunately are perishable if not practiced. Skills that will let you undertake any kind of task that is asked of you.  If and when a situation arises that an officer (or any leader) has to think outside the box and do something unconventional it is precisely because of the mundane, repetitive soldier skills that we instill in our soldiers that will allow a leader to be successful in whatever rare gamble he may have to make.

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to say.  What sort of out of the box thinking would you like to see in our leaders?

Yes outside the box thinking has inevitably got people killed, failing to keep up in tactics has too.

I don't mean individual pl commanders coming up with completely new ways of doing things. But every attack I ever did was a frontal. I have done company night live with compounds and then 2 weeks later I was doing dry fire pairs and working my way up again. There just seemed to be nothing beyond company night live frontal. So we immediately went back to what we knew. So by outside the box I mean progression.We should be exposed to things in training, rolling firebase, change of direction in section attacks. Or do those attacks in c-can village after having done so in open fields. The last time I was exposed to that was in dp1. The more exposure in training the better. So things arent off the cuff in real time. Becuase that has got a lot of people killed as well. Knowing what happens if you do this or that is good training. And we do produce a lot of good leaders. Say a leadership course produces 65% good officers and 35% bad. I would just like to see it become 75 vs 25. I don't have a particular gripe, as we do a lot of things well but there is a lot of room for improvement.

UnwiseCritic said:
... It's just too bad that a lot of officers come along that can't do their job aka a bad investment. It's money wasted and potentially dangerous. And I have seen these officers promoted time and again just too get rid of them.... But take what I say with a grain of salt as I only attained the lowly rank of Pte.
I don't know why I'm bothering with this other than feeling compelled to throw in my  :2c:

We do not promote officers (or NCOs for that matter) "just to get rid of them." Our system works on observing their performance and attempting to predict their potential to succeed at the next higher rank. We then compare them to their peers and choose the ones that are the best.

Do we make mistakes in this process? Undoubtedly. Its not perfect because assessing potential is ethereal at best. Some individuals are perfect examples of the "Peter Principle" and will be promoted beyond the level of their competence because the system recognized that they performed very well at their last rank but failed to accurately assess the individual's potential at the next. Its a human system filled with human errors.

That said, any corporate structure which promotes on the basis of achievement and merit has this failing and at some point individuals will not be as competent in the jobs that they have been promoted to as their superiors predicted they would be. It's not just a failing of the CF but one in most large organizations.

Once you mature a little and become a little more tolerant of others maybe you'll begin to understand that not every human being is as perfect as you are and that sometimes, just sometimes some of us see things from a different viewpoint.

Best of luck in your future endeavours. I hope you find the bosses you're looking for.

UnwiseCritic said:
  It's just that too many times I've seen potentially good officers use there troops to advance their own careers.

Too many times? 

I gather that you are now out, and that you achieved the rank of Private.  That means you did a single BE, of which no more than 2 years was spent in a Battalion. 

I wonder if that is a long enough observation period to come to such a dire conclusion.

I have the distinct notion that you are holding something back,
like the reasons you are no longer in the forces.

Something you should realize about a good leader is that he will always hold you accountable for your actions,
and in doing so, he is not only accountable for his own, but sets the example of the high standard required
of his subodinates.

I think your moniker speaks volumes, and your argument is all over the place, not to mention the word soup of your original post.  Word of advice for the future.  If you have a complex point or question, it is better to break it down into digestable chunks, solve them individually and then reassemble later.

You do seem sincere though, and that is why I care enough to entertain your thread.

If you want to get all philosophical, here you go.  Outside the box thinking deserves attention, and I believe myself to be a practitioner, but remember this.  In order to think outside the box effectively, you must understand the inside of the box first.  It takes many years for that, and if you think the answers to problems are simple and obvious, then you haven't done your homework or you don't understand the problem yet.

I never claimed to be perfect just trying understand why things are the way they are. I am hoping to get shot down and set straight becuase then I will see clearer picture at the end of the day. And even get people thinking. Yes I know you already do, maybe I just want to poison your minds with some of my thinking.

Yes I may only have just over 2 years experience but I had the privilege to attend mod 6 and get a chance to gain some insight on future jr leadership. I saw some things I liked and didn't like. (I was not on the course by own merit, just circumstances)

As for the original post being soup and all over the place. Correct, but it was an almagamation of notes and word was not cooperating with me. Should I have refined it, yes.

UnwiseCritic said:
..... maybe I just want to poison your minds with some of my thinking.
I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing any particular "thinking."  I'm seeing bucket-loads of bemoaning that the world hasn't played out the way you'd like, but "thinking" suggests you could come up with at least a few potential solutions.

Go on, give it a shot.

Sounds like a case of reality not being like it is in the movies. You have the right to form your opinions about the CF, right or wrong, and you are correct, there are some truly disappointing and self serving leaders in all elements of the CF, but with that said, it's on the member to conform and accept the CF, not the other way around. Your OC being covered by the CO may not be all that you perceive, there is always more that happens behind closed doors and the CO would be wrong to tear a leader apart in front of subordinates. You can learn from mistakes and bring change when the chance arrives or you can complain in public.

Back