• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Construction Engineers (Formerly Airfield Engineers)

I was just wondering how many AF ENG positions are currenty available.  Is AF ENG a popular choice for officer applications?  How competitive is it?  I read somewhere that one of the reasons for the recent name change from airfield engineer to construction engineer is because airfield engineer does not describe the actual job very well.  Consequently, they changed to name to attract more recruits to the trade.  If that is the case, then I would imagine that positions probably aren't filling up for AF ENG? 

The Constr Engrs (formerly known as AF Engr) is always looking for more. The change was also driven by the fact they can be involved in Ops across all elements, land, air and sea, not just on an airfield.

Thank you for the quick reply.  I have done my medical and interview a couple of weeks ago so I suppose I'll just have to sit tight and wait for my call. 

where do AF ENG get posted after occupational training?  I did the search and came up with Cold lake, AB and Trenton, ON.  Are those the only two bases we are stationed in or do we get to stay on the reserve base too?

AF Engr no longer exist.  They are now Construction Engineers.  You will find them in any of the old airfield engineer flights & squadrons, in 1 Engineer Support Unit (Moncton NB), and potentially any base CE organization (though the Army types often have those jobs on Army oriented bases).

Correct , we are in fact now Construction Engineers.
postings can be to any base navel, Army, Air.
We have both Land DEU and Air DEU in all the CER Regts, same as for all the Air bases, Land bases, and Navel Construction Troops. 

Abram Tank said:

Correct , we are in fact now Construction Engineers.
postings can be to any base navel, Army, Air.
We have both Land DEU and Air DEU in all the CER Regts, same as for all the Air bases, Land bases, and Navel Construction Troops. 

I knew things were strange in the Navy, but this takes the cake...... :eek:

CDN Aviator said:
I've been checking my belly for a construction troop for the last 10 minutes........

I have lint but no troops....oh wait there is some, nope false alarm, that was a chocolate chip. :D

Are there any Construction Engineer Officers floating around this forum?

I'm thinking about commissioning when I graduate (civil engineering, 2011). I'm interested in joining the Construction engineers but am unsure about whether or not I'll be able to get my P.Eng in a few years or if that is something worth doing. I'm also wondering if anyone could give me a 'day in the life' of a CE.
Much appreciated
Chimo

CE is an air force trade (formerly known as Airfield Engineers), so you might have more success on the air force boards.

What I can tell you since I'm hanging around CEs-in-training all the time, is that you don't need your P.Eng. to be a CE, but it's always a good idea for extra credibility with civilian contractors or for a "plan B" if you leave the Forces. You can use your time in the Forces to get your P.Eng., but it's a bit more of a juggling act since not that many CE officers are accredited. So it's a possibility, but not guarantied. Anyway, if you really want it, you should be able to find a way (I'm working on that myself!).

From what can I see, it's a good trade! There's different types of jobs, one of them being the base CE, which is pretty much the municipal engineer of the base. There are deployable positions as well. Once again, you should talk to air force types.

Chimo!

MCG said:
NAME CHANGE OF AIRFIELD ENGINEERING (AF ENGR)
TO CONSTRUCTION ENGINEERING (CONST ENGR)

Refs: A. 4500-3 (D Air PPD 2) 24 January 2007
B. UNCLASS DGPR 026/07 121519Z December 2007

1. The CF recruiting establishment continues to face challenges in attracting candidates for the Airfield Engineering occupation (AF ENGR - MOSID 00189). Clearly, the current name is not reflective of the jobs performed by members of this occupation, is not aligned with the NCM Construction Engineering occupations, and is not conducive to recruiting.

2. Following considerable analysis and discussions at many different forums, CAS/DG Air Pers submitted a formal request (ref A) to rename MOSID 00189 from the current Airfield Engineering to Construction Engineering (CONST ENGR) and the request was recently approved by CMP/DGMP (ref B) to be effective on 01 January 2008. The new name more appropriately describes the jobs performed by its officers, is better aligned with its NCM Construction Engineering occupations, and will help in the recruitment of quality applicants.

3. In November 2007, renaming MOSID 00189 AF ENGR to CONST ENGR was endorsed by the CME Branch Council and it advised that this name change does not imply a name change for MOSID 00181 ENGR.

agc said:
MCG said:
NAME CHANGE OF AIRFIELD ENGINEERING (AF ENGR)
TO CONSTRUCTION ENGINEERING (CONST ENGR)

Refs: A. 4500-3 (D Air PPD 2) 24 January 2007
B. UNCLASS DGPR 026/07 121519Z December 2007

1. The CF recruiting establishment continues to face challenges in attracting candidates for the Airfield Engineering occupation (AF ENGR - MOSID 00189). Clearly, the current name is not reflective of the jobs performed by members of this occupation, is not aligned with the NCM Construction Engineering occupations, and is not conducive to recruiting.

2. Following considerable analysis and discussions at many different forums, CAS/DG Air Pers submitted a formal request (ref A) to rename MOSID 00189 from the current Airfield Engineering to Construction Engineering (CONST ENGR) and the request was recently approved by CMP/DGMP (ref B) to be effective on 01 January 2008. The new name more appropriately describes the jobs performed by its officers, is better aligned with its NCM Construction Engineering occupations, and will help in the recruitment of quality applicants.

3. In November 2007, renaming MOSID 00189 AF ENGR to CONST ENGR was endorsed by the CME Branch Council and it advised that this name change does not imply a name change for MOSID 00181 ENGR.

Construction Engineer Officers existed well before 2007.  Even with your above quote by MCG, you have failed to follow up with the fol:

MCG said:
Yes

4. There will be no structural change to the newly named Construction Engineering occupation and career management remains the same as for the Airfield Engineering occupation. In addition, there will be no conversion training required and the training documents will be updated to reflect the new name. Construction Engineers will remain part of the Canadian Military Engineering branch with CAS as the career field/occupation manager and the DEU for all new officers will remain air environmental.

5. In addition to the name change from the current Airfield Engineering to Construction Engineering, several other title and designation changes will be required, mainly within 1 Canadian Air Division HQ but also at the wing/unit level.  As a general rule, the word “Airfield” will be simply replaced by “Construction”.

This is the last text of any value.  There are some charts included in the doc, but I'm not cutting those over.

This states that all NEW "Construction" Engineer Officers will wear the Air DEU.  It does not state that this is an Air Force Trade.  For the most part members of the Canadian Military Engineer Branch wear the Land DEU.  What does this mean?  It means that the CE Officers are not an Air Force Trade, only that they will wear Air DEU.  It is the same as other Trades such as MP or Medic, who may wear different Element DEUs, but it does not mean that their Trade is specific to one Element.

Seen.  Misunderstood your previous post, sorry.

George Wallace said:
It is the same as other Trades such as MP or Medic, who may wear different Element DEUs, but it does not mean that their Trade is specific to one Element.
The MA for Construction Engineers is in the Air Force.  It is an air occupation.

Back