• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Concern about posting in the CF

mysteriousmind

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
hey people,

this thread is perhaps more for more experience member of the CF.

I presently am a Pres member awaiting to do my supply QL3 this summer and now I'm seriously considering resquesting a component transfer to the reg force as Ammo tech (Red trade). My only concern is the posting.

My wife as a career in Quebec, I own a house and I'm happy with it. I know after talking about it with her that she would not follow me around if I was transferred elsewhere. and I'm looking to know what is exactly the posting policies in the forces... Is it possible to stay in Valcartier, is there a minimum of posting I have to live...etc...etc..

Thanks for helping me out.

While the CF is certainly more accommodating to such circumstances than it once was, you cannot have any expectation that you can influence selection of your geographical location throughout, or for any significant part of, your career.  Especially in a small trade with manning issues, the flexibility to keep you in a certain area can be very limited.  Also keep in mind that there could be others, with equally valid reasons, who also wish those same few positions near "home" or other perceived benefits/requirements for selves or families.  Be prepared for long periods of separation.

You are not ready to join the Regular Force.

Good luck on your Supply tech this summer.

mysteriousmind said:
My wife as a career in Quebec, I own a house and I'm happy with it. I know after talking about it with her that she would not follow me around if I was transferred elsewhere. and I'm looking to know what is exactly the posting policies in the forces... Is it possible to stay in Valcartier, is there a minimum of posting I have to live...etc...etc..

Thanks for helping me out.

Stay in the ResF. It is the best place for you given the circumstances that you've outlined above.

Were you to CT to the RegF, you may find yourself posted to Valcartier, but it would certainly not be guaranteed nor would it be permanent. Most Ammo Techs can be guaranteed a posting or two to CFADs and I see no reason why you'd be any exception.

If you want to keep your wife happy, keep your house that you like etc ... the only way you can be guaranteed that during CF service ... is as a Res, especially given that she has stated that she will not be following you around. There's a LOT of that "following around" in the Reg F, and a lot of marriages that don't survive it.

Veronica

Well it sums it up,

Thanks Vern for your wisdom and experience, and knowledge
Thanks Hfxcrow for you honesty
Thanks Micheal for your more general point of view.

Ill stick to the Pres.

Back