• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Computer Problems & Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fear of the unknown and the hassle of loading it up and tying all your programs to it.

as for free online scanners, I run norton 2k5 on my machine and still run a scan at least monthly at www.trendmicro.com, hands down the best online scanner Ive used, not only for the ease of use but the fact its picked up on stuff others have missed.

I think I finally found my problem.  For some reason my version of AVG Virus Protection wouldn't load properly or update, so I went back to McAfee and reinstalled and updated and found that the computer have several files infected with the W32/Gaobot.worm.  That worm had managed to disable my AVG protection and a couple of other files.  McAffee cleaned out all but one file, which I had to manually remove, and now my machine boots up normally again. 

GW

Quote from ME, ;)
and he found 8!!!!! viruses that were there but had programs that would wipe out the part of the program that should have found them, and the partial programs is what caused the start-up errors

...its not easy being right all the time ya know!!! :D

Was that for XP?  I know that with Sevice Pack 2, there was Virus and Firewall elements for XP, but have not seen anything for Windows 98, SE or ME.

GW

There are viruses out there that will tamper with your installed anti-virus applications.

McAfee came out with it's free downloadable tool that will complete an independent scan.

It is called "Stinger" and is downloadable at: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Anyone using McAfee should from time to time download the latest version of stinger and run it.....especially if you find your system is acting a bit funny.

Some corporate networks will automatically download this program to your local workstation upon bootup and run it in the background every time you log on.

Norton screwed up my computer and it took all day to defragment my harddrive using speed disk.

After I took it off it ran so much faster and smoother and it doesn't freeze up when you download a 500mb+ file as it tries to do a virus scan of the file as its being copied to its destination.

The new microsoft one runs pretty smooth and hasn't caused many hang ups yet.

But if all else fails you can always format the drive and start from square one again and reinstall everything  ::)

I wouldn't trust microsoft if they were the last company on earth! (I'll back that up when I sort through my favorites and find the relivant websites etc)

Here is a list of a few great FREE security programs:
1)I'm sure you've all heard of Ad-Aware, some things slip through the crack, but not much. http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE...045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5
2) AVG anti virus. It is so much better than Norton and the best part about it is that it is free!
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php
3) Zone Alarm firewall. I strongly suggest anyone connecting to the internet use a firewall!
http://www.zonelabs.com
If anyone else wants information on some good apps or anything else, just let me know.

does anyone know how to make a computer childproof? dont want the munchkin doing anything to it that is bad

someguyincanada said:
does anyone know how to make a computer childproof? dont want the munchkin doing anything to it that is bad

If you are running XP or 2k, create a new account as a member of the guest group only.  Then they shouldn't be able to install anything etc.

Yes they can unless you set up attributes in certain folders that you don't want anyone to delete.

i.e. you have a folder called "Work Docs" that you don't want the guest account to be able to access/delete. Then you browse to it using Explorer. Right click and properties the folder. Choose the security tab and add the guest account. Below you will be able to view the attributes for that account. In this case, you would "deny" modify thru write and then apply and then choose "OK".

You shouldn't do this for the WINNT or Program Files folder as it will cause some problems.

another computer question...

FL Inverter Board, what the heck is it cause i have never heard of the thing, its on my toshiba 8100 laptop and thier website says it could be faulty, any thoughts on what it could be? all i know its something to do with the screen but to what extent I dont know and was wondering if any of you guys/gals know something about it

Thanks
Jay

While I was away my wife told me that my pc was acting up, so when I got home I used it for a couple days with no troubles and finally one day during start up it froze and emitted a 2 second beep about every 5 seconds. I'd restart it and sometimes it would boot normally with no problems and other times it would do the same thing. Once in the middle of the night while I had it on it did the same thing and woke me up, needless to say I was pretty pissed off at it. So I did a fresh install(my least favourite solution) and it worked fine for the next week or so. So when I came back overseas my house closed and we moved and when my brother set it up again, it did the same thing, starting smoking and shut down completely. Turned out that the mother board was fried along with my RAM. Anyone know what the heck could cause this? I'm running XP Pro with Service Pack 2, I have updated virus software and haven't installed any new hardware on it for quite some time. I ended up fixing the problem with this:
http://www.apple.com/ca/imac/
and have since turned my back on Windows after years of losing hair over it. Still curious as to why this happened though, anyone?

I had same symptoms as George did -- my travel through the web of fix-it-yourself sites

1st - found this link on Microsoft regarding making a clean boot

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353
- summary - simple and easy - print it out and follow the directions
- I also unloaded my McAffee Security Centre stuff then reloaded it after I went through the above line

then loaded Registry Mechanic http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/ $45 but seems to work well
- it said it detected over 800 errors in the registry

The boot hang that George describes then went away

You can download a demo copy that will attack 6 areas of problems - then buy the key if you so wish

Lots of stuff going on.
If your running a P4 or better you need a 350watt or better power supply make sure you get a good one I have a True Blue Antec.
Great little program called CCleaner, its freeware, you would not believe what this program will find on your system and the amount of junk you can delete, first time I ran it on my laptop I deleted just over 2 gig of junk. My son ran it on his account on my WIN 2000 Desktop he removed 630mb. It can also fix your startup and registry... CCleaner.com
When your hearing beeps from your system your computer is trying to tell you something, every beep means something just depends on the order and amount most techs and some manuals will tell you what they mean. Its just like the code reader on newer cars.
If your opening system make sure your gounded to the frame before you touch anything.

Some of you won't agree with what follows
Norton is a pretty good program but sucks resources, use a router with built in firewall and dump your software firewall.
Microsoft has new anti spyware but only works on WIN 2000 or better.
I've used Norton Anti virus, Adware SE, Adware, SpyBot search and destroy and they have all missed vaious virus/spyware/adware. Checking msconfig or taskmanager to see whats slowing your system down then going online for manual removal instrcutions which means going into the registry.

I don't think i have the manual for my pc anymore, just curious if anyone had a clue off hand as to what it may be.

You can always back up the registry keys yourself, and then you wont have to reinstall windows over and over again, just reset the registry key.

You can also use system restore, found in the help menu in windows, it's solved 90% of my problems Ive had with my comp

Well like I said earlier, I bought a Mac so there's really no need for me to do it. I'm probably going to upgrade my windows machine the same way I upgraded my old 486 - by putting it out on the curb on garbage day. Just curious is all.

GerryCan said:
While I was away my wife told me that my pc was acting up, so when I got home I used it for a couple days with no troubles and finally one day during start up it froze and emitted a 2 second beep about every 5 seconds. I'd restart it and sometimes it would boot normally with no problems and other times it would do the same thing. Once in the middle of the night while I had it on it did the same thing and woke me up, needless to say I was pretty pissed off at it. So I did a fresh install(my least favourite solution) and it worked fine for the next week or so. So when I came back overseas my house closed and we moved and when my brother set it up again, it did the same thing, starting smoking and shut down completely. Turned out that the mother board was fried along with my RAM. Anyone know what the heck could cause this? I'm running XP Pro with Service Pack 2, I have updated virus software and haven't installed any new hardware on it for quite some time. I ended up fixing the problem with this:
http://www.apple.com/ca/imac/
and have since turned my back on Windows after years of losing hair over it. Still curious as to why this happened though, anyone?

My husband did the same thing when our old computer started to screw up. Well, he didn't buy the fancy iMac that you have but he has an iBook G4. My computer was doing the same sort of thing a few months back until we upgraded the mother board, processor and the ram and now it is lighting fast and only cost us $300(PC Medic). Haven't had any issues yet, and as far as PC Medic knew, the original components were not actually compatible. ::)

As my husband says "Once you go mac, you never go back"
If you have any mac questions, feel free to msg me and I will pass the problem onto him...he seems to know a ton about mac's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back