• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]

Hopefully they are going to meet soon. It sounds like even if we are selected now, BMQ won't start till the New Year. "Hurry up and wait."

Sappo, I know what you mean. I guess patience is a virtue. So they tell me. lol

25th of sept. boys...hang on to your panties till then ;D

just 7 more days left....im counting them day by day.

hang in there sappo, but be persistent with them

keep at it and it will all work out

Damn I finally go merit listed after waiting about 3 months for my medical to return. The wait wasn't as harsh as it could have been because i was expecting the file to be delayed about 6 months or more. I applied as Reg 031 so when do you think i will be analyzed in borden. My recruiting center wouldn't give me any estimates or any info  :-X so I was wondering if anyone who knows anything about this could give me an estimate, Thx

I've searched up and down the forums and I found 2 different answers. In the past it seemed that to be merit listed you had to have your Aptitude test, Interview, and Medical back from Borden to be listed in the Regular Forces. I read a recent post that states that now your PT has to be done as well to be listed. I just want to know if the policy has changed and the PT has to be done to be merit listed. I've seen previous posts of people getting "the call" then going to do their PT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I'm in Windsor, Ontario; 18 and applied for 411 Vehicle Tech for the regular forces and can't wait to join :)

Effective 01 April 05 or earlier all CFRC/Ds will adopt a standardized processing system and to be merit listed all processing including PT will have to be completed.

I did a search on "merit  list" before posting this and didn't find the answer I was looking for. So here's the questions...

After a candidate has sucessfully completed the interview, CFAT, Medical and Fitness Testing, how long does it usually take to be merit listed and notified of that?

I presume that Merit Listing means you are given some sort of ranking of eligibility - how is the ranking arrived at and can the candidate find out what his ranking is?

If there is a ranking score, is it possible to change it by taking additional courses related to your desired MOC's, increasing fitness level and retesting, etc.?

tikiguy said:
I did a search on "merit   list" before posting this and didn't find the answer I was looking for. So here's the questions...

After a candidate has sucessfully completed the interview, CFAT, Medical and Fitness Testing, how long does it usually take to be merit listed and notified of that?

I presume that Merit Listing means you are given some sort of ranking of eligibility - how is the ranking arrived at and can the candidate find out what his ranking is?

If there is a ranking score, is it possible to change it by taking additional courses related to your desired MOC's, increasing fitness level and retesting, etc.?

Try searching for "merit listed".

Hi -

I called the CFRC today to find the status of my file and was told that I am merit listed and I should have word in a month as to the status of my file.  That's great I guess.  But...

• Would they not have to evaluate all of the candidates in order to have created some kind of meaningful merit list? ..Presumably so.
  • But, I understand that they have already started making calls / offers of employment to other candidates
A couple of offers:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/35145.0.html

• So.. presumably they have evaluated all of the DEO Infantry candidates and I appear on that list somewhere ..#17 ..#16 ..#18?  Who knows..

My question is; where does that leave me?  If we take the above thread at face value (..why should we not?) that leaves 17 DEO infantry positions available for Jan. '05 intake. 

Here is my complication:  I have been offered a meaningful job with a political party with which I sympathize in Ottawa.  A chance to really contribute to my country.  Should I take it?  Should I pass?  The answer has everything to do with what 'merit listed' means ..and exactly when they plan on giving me an answer- one way or the other - with regard to my file.  (Papers submitted Oct. '04  :rage:)

This is not just me being frustrated with the recruitment process.  There are children involved here now.  I need a serious answer from a serious minded recruiting team.  This has really gone long enough. 

OK.. breathing.. breathing.. Rant off.  I am cooling down.. cooling down now..

Look ..please ..can someone ..anyone ..please tell me what it means to be merit listed for DEO Infantry at this point, knowing that there are 17 positions left for January.

Should I expect a call over the next couple of days (like the chaps in the thread above)?  ..should I stall my other employment offer and wait for it?  ..Or should I take the offer knowing that I will not receive the call for at least a month ..and that it could be a 'no', thanks for coming out.'?

I ask here because Lord knows the CFRC isn't any help.

Thanks.  :salute:

Oops.. Already been addressed i guess..

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/35269.0.html

Holy cats!  So is this really it?  What a stupid, backward way of telling you that you did not make this cut, and you will be considered next time around...  Why not just tell me so?

Really, am I misunderstanding this?  I have to ask because it is so counter intuitive.  "Merit listed" really means that your file will be forwarded to the next review board and that you will be merit listed (ie. 'compared') to other candidates and ranked accordingly at that time?

..Which is to say that if I am told I have been merit listed I am not really merit listed ..in the strict definition ..but have been passed by this time around?

Is the language really being abused this way or am I missing something obvious?

Hey, I totally sympathize with you.  I was told the other day that I had been "merit listed".  And despite my attempts to get a straight answer I have really been told nothing by the CFRC.  The last 3 phone calls I have received from the CFRC were from 3 different people telling me 3 totally different stories about my file.  As far as I can tell, if you have been merit listed it means that you just have to wait and they will eventually call you up with either good news or bad news.  Its just typical bureaucratic crap really.  My Military Career Counsellor told me that the whole selection board process is a big administrative machine and it takes a long time.  So really, in the end all we can do is wait.

Oh well.  Can't wait forever right.  If they lose valauble applicants because they keep telling them to wait another 6 months then they have no one to blame but themselves.

I wish you luck and just remember to hang in there.

The system has been in placed for a very long time and has worked fairly well.  There are countless threads on this forum about the DEO entry plan and the merit list and selection system.  Do some more reading before you start complaining again and the next time you are talking to your CFRC/D make sure you understand everything that is happening with your file before you hang up.  I will now break the process down into squads:

Squad 1 - applicant applies and if found competitive they are processed.
Squad 2 - applicant completes processing and is found eligible and suitable.
Squad 3 - applicant is merit listed.
Squad 4 - file is reviewed at a national selection board.
Squad 5 - if applicant is chosen they are given a job offer.
Squad 6 - applicant accepts job offer and is enrolled.
Squad 7 - enrollee arrives at St Jean and is molded into a officer and fighting machine. ;D

Now Squad 3 happens all year long and Squad 4 happens in the spring and fall or when required.  Squad 7 happens in Sept and Jan of each year.  Now if you rather take your chances in finding a meaningful and rewarding career in the civilian world instead of waiting for the best possible job in the world then go for it.  Otherwise wait and shoot and if you are really that good then you will get a job.

There are countless threads on this forum about the DEO entry plan and the merit list and selection system.  Do some more reading before you start complaining again...

...that's fair ball.  Admittedly had a bit of a short fuse last night.

...next time you are talking to your CFRC/D make sure you understand everything that is happening with your file before you hang up.

I really did make that effort but I have had so much contradictory information from them I gave up on that a while ago.  In fact I had taken to just calling them to make sure  whoever answered the phone gave me the same story as the last fellow.  A full picture seemed out of reach ..I was at least hoping for a consistent one.  (not to mention that there is a language barrier in my neck of the woods ..as much my fault as the CFRC's ..but there it is.)

A case in point:  As I mentioned above, I spoke to the CFRC yesterday and they told me that they might have some word for me in a month.  Well today I got the call informing me that if I was still interested they have a job offer for me!  ;D ;D ;D

HOORAH!  See you in St. Jean!!

As for the recruiting process ..all I can say is that I am glad it is behind me.  It really almost drove me away, and to be honest I am not entering the CF having received a good first impression.  But, I know first impressions are just that ..so take that for what it's worth.

Best of luck ReadyAyeReady!  Hang in there.

ahhh a happy ending ;)

Way to hang in there man! And dont worry about the rant...we all get our turn!

Finally been merit listed after a year of waiting and hoping and praying...(Regular Force) Wanted to wait till I was at this point to start posting but Ive had my eye on this site for a year now. I was hoping someone had an idea how long it takes for a job offer? My 3 choices were:
1:SIG op
2:NCI op(navy)
3:vehicle tech
                                                                                   :cdn:

Congratulations to you for being merit listed, be patient in the wait regardless of how short or long it may be take this time to PT yourself into the ground, then when you hit the ground, do some push ups.  :) hope you get selected soon.  :salute:

joseph_almeida said:
Finally been merit listed after a year of waiting and hoping and praying...(Regular Force) Wanted to wait till I was at this point to start posting but Ive had my eye on this site for a year now. I was hoping someone had an idea how long it takes for a job offer? My 3 choices were:
1:SIG op
2:NCI op(navy)
3:vehicle tech
                                                                                   :cdn:

Meritted???  Are you in already or waiting to get in?  Merit list is something different in the regs.

I had my interview and at the end of it the captain told me that he found me suitable for employment in the Canadian Forces. He said I would be merit listed within a few days.
Now Im waiting for a job offer

Back