• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]

Afrer compiling all the scores from all your tests, you've been put on a list of people from which they'll pick those who get offered a job.

There is definitely a ranking system. That's why competitiveness matters, and if you really want your position, keep updating your education/leadership experience/volunteering and tell the recruiting center staff so they can update your file and potentially move you up higher on the list.

RectorCR said:
I was wondering if anyone knew the significance of being merit listed.

Asked and answered many times.

What is merit list?? 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/110337.0

JM2345 said:
There is definitely a ranking system. That's why competitiveness matters, and if you really want your position, keep updating your education/leadership experience/volunteering and tell the recruiting center staff so they can update your file and potentially move you up higher on the list.

When I called and found out that I've been merit listed I also asked to update my resume and he said it didn't matter...

RectorCR said:
When I called and found out that I've been merit listed I also asked to update my resume and he said it didn't matter...

Well updating resume and updating qualifications/application are very different things to different people. If I was him, I would assume you mean to tell them where you are currently employed or something like that, and he probably wouldn't care where you are currently employed. So, I can't say why you got that answer, but I am sure competitiveness counts. The person who told you that may also know something that we don't know about your file.

RectorCR said:
I was wondering if anyone knew the significance of being merit listed. I found out last week I've been merit listed (DEO Infantry Officer). I've read a variety of different things on the forum of what it means. Some saying that everyone is ranked equally and it's a matter of when you were put on the list and positions being open. Some saying that there is a ranking system. Anyone want to clarify?

RectorCR said:

The "ranking system," as you mentioned, refers to one's total applicant score. All applicants are not ranked equally.  After all of your application components have been completed the individual receives an overall score, which then determines their placement on the merit list for that trade.

It's important to note that place/type of employment can have a definite impact on one's applicant score depending on the applicable trade.  There are several trades where current/active placements coupled with previous employment experience count highly towards that portion of your score.  If you feel you'd like to update something since your interview that will be beneficial towards your competitiveness, speak directly to your MCC/file manager. If the update requires additional steps (i.e. occasionally changes require an applicant meeting in person, rather than simply a telephone update) then you'll be informed.  On the other hand, if the new updates don't affect your score, you'll be told also.

Hello everyone, it's been a few weeks that I have been merit listed for a Med Tech position but I haven't received a call or email about starting basic and I know the next BMQ starts on July 8th. I was wondering if anyone has gotten any calls or emails for a job offer, I'm just trying to see where I stand because they won't tell me where I am on the list. I would appreciate any answers people could give. Thank you. (I do know people can be merit listed for years and thats my worry haha)

Secord91 said:
I'm just trying to see where I stand because they won't tell me where I am on the list.

From two months ago.

"Merit List Position

Your recruiter really can't provide you with any valuable information when they are asked this question.  If you asked the question on Monday and the recruiter said "Your 10th on the list" and we are hiring 20, then that answer is only good for "Monday".

Two weeks later, your position may or may not change as they are "adding" applicants to the Merit List daily.  Which is why they will normally only say that you are "competitive". 

Think about how you would feel if your recruiter gave you that information, got your hopes up and then you never got a job offer?";

Reply #6
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/110092/post-1222363#msg1222363

Alright thanks guys, mainly wanted to post this to see if people had started getting calls for basic or to see if no one started getting calls. Thanks a bunch

Go check out the application process samples thread. It will give you some idea of how long people wait on the merit list before being offered a job.

I was merit listed on May 17th and got my offer for Infantry on June 6th. Mine was quick but everyone is different and every trade is different

If you are wondering if people got the call, check this thread called BMQ July 8th.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/110653.0.html

Thank you that helps alot! Also is there a minimum time that they have to give you before basic to prepare? Like a minimum of 2 weeks or something?

You have 10 days as per www.forces.ca to make your decision after getting the offer. You could be leaving right away or given a date in the near future. Every case from what I've read is different.

My RC has been out of commission for awhile now due to a move, so I haven't been able to contact them directly but I called another RC to find out if I'm been Merit Listed or not.  Turns out I am Merit Listed, and the recruiter said I should hear from them soon.  He rushed me off the phone before I could ask what exactly he meant by that... does anyone know if they would call if I wasn't selected, or only if I was? Also, since my RC is out of commission, does anyone know if another RC will call or am I waiting until they are up again to hear anything? It's been a little frustrating being in the dark without being able to communicate with my file manager, any input would be appreciated! 

You can't really get a different answer than you will hear from them soon regarding being merit listed. They can't give you an exact date, so that's a pretty awesome response. I would call back maybe in a couple weeks. This is all my opinion of course, but I've read on this site people that have waited a while after being merit listed.

Locked.

This has all been hashed out before.

Good day staff and members,
I have officially been merit listed for my reserve unit and was told that they sent my file to the unit but need some paper work back from them. I am abit confused on that part as I was nervous to go more in depth with the recruiter afraid of annoying him. How long am i expecting to get a call to swear in from this point?

DarkInfantry232 said:
How long am i expecting to get a call to swear in from this point?

"The merit listing works as per the post below.

How long it takes depends upon where you end up on that list, how many applicants there are for your chosen trade, and how many positions are "open" to be filled in that trade.

There is no set answer."

Merit List?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12776/post-706881.html#msg706881
Reply #90

Hello,
this may or may not be a silly question however, I was told by a friend of mine who did the application process a few years back that, once merit listed you are on the waiting list for your trade. He then went on to tell me however, that if I do not get chosen during the summer months to start basic I have to wait another year before they begin selection again.
This caught me a bit off guard only because the Lieutenant who did my interview told me selection happens year round for Regular Force applicants.
I was just hoping someone could clarify for me. I hope what I wrote makes sense and someone can put my mind at ease.
Thank you

Back