• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]

Hello All,

I am still waiting for my security check and references to be called but I was wondering if anyone knows how long the merit lists are for Infantry, Armoured and Artillery soldier?

Once/if I am merit listed could the recruitment centre tell me where I stand on the merit list?

I am just trying to figure out what the likelihood of me attending BMQ for any of the above listed trades may be for this coming July or August.

The Combat Arms are overborne; it might be a long wait.

Ducam said:
Hello All,

I am still waiting for my security check and references to be called but I was wondering if anyone knows how long the merit lists are for Infantry, Armoured and Artillery soldier?

Once/if I am merit listed could the recruitment centre tell me where I stand on the merit list?

I am just trying to figure out what the likelihood of me attending BMQ for any of the above listed trades may be for this coming July or August.

Your best bet would be just to ask your recruiter. I know that response gets said a lot and I am applying for avn and avs but after my interview we went over the positions available, the merit list and where I will sit on the list when my application is finished.

I figured that my best bet would be to ask my recruiter.

I was just thinking that maybe someone on this forum might have an answer before I go bugging my recruiter again.

Thanks

Additionally, during my interview I was informed of how many people they were hiring for each position I am applying for and it seemed high but I have no idea where I may sit on the merit list, I was told I am competitive though.

For Infantry it was something like 170 people being hired this year. I can't remember how many for the other trades but I know it was in the 100's.

Hurry up and wait. Get used to hearing that ;) anyways I know that my platoon and its two sister platoons had about 80+ artillery. Either way goodluck.

Your recruiter really can't provide you with any valuable information when they are asked this question.  If you asked the question on Monday and the recruiter said "Your 10th on the list" and we are hiring 20, then that answer is only good for "Monday".

Two weeks later, your position may or may not change as they are "adding" applicants to the Merit List daily.  Which is why they will normally only say that you are "competitive". 

Think about how you would feel if your recruiter gave you that information, got your hopes up and then you never got a job offer?

I see what you mean. My recruiter did tell me to just be patient as they do not hire everyone at once.

I am not very interested in getting in for Artillery as I am for Infantry or Armoured.

I'm thinking that since, as you said DAA, the selection for my trades isn't till mid - late May that my references will be contacted before selection and I will be merit listed then.

Still would be nice to be in BMQ by July as I see they have listed two dates so far and I'm sure that once they update the site further it will show 2 more BMQ start dates in July.

I'm going down to the RC with a friend next week so she can hand in her paperwork so maybe I can get some more information at that time.

For anyone wondering I was informed by Toronto RC that they do not contact you to let you know you have been merit listed.

Just an FYI if you are expecting a call that you have been listed.

Ducam said:
For anyone wondering I was informed by Toronto RC that they do not contact you to let you know you have been merit listed.

However, they will tell you if you are merit listed if you call and ask.

Ducam said:
I see what you mean. My recruiter did tell me to just be patient as they do not hire everyone at once.

I am not very interested in getting in for Artillery as I am for Infantry or Armoured.

I'm thinking that since, as you said DAA, the selection for my trades isn't till mid - late May that my references will be contacted before selection and I will be merit listed then.

Still would be nice to be in BMQ by July as I see they have listed two dates so far and I'm sure that once they update the site further it will show 2 more BMQ start dates in July.

I'm going down to the RC with a friend next week so she can hand in her paperwork so maybe I can get some more information at that time.

You Ref's will be contacted whenever the file manager responsible for submitting files to GARDA, submits your file to them and they call your references.

Ducam said:

That applies for pretty much every recruiting centre.  I explained why in another post.

Hey guys,

Today was my interview which was the last step left to do in my application process. It went quite well and im very happy with my results. After the interview i was told that i was not on the "merit list". What does this mean exactly??

Thx.

P.S. im joining the Reg infantry
P.P.S sorry if this question has been asked efore, i looked in the prior posts and got tired after 3 pages

Newly retired (7 months ago) Cpl from the RCR and in the re-enlistment phase. I tried getting a hold of the National headquarters recruiting centre but they seem to be harder to get in touch with than someone dodging collections.

I recently applied to re-enlist to my old occupation and received the go ahead. I completed the entire process(application, interview,medical,etc) and was told they had to do the PLAR and that would take some time. I called friday and the recruiter in charge of the processing department asked me a couple questions and thought it was weird that I was not put on the merit list yet and did so that very moment.

My questions are: Now being placed on the merit list, would this mean the PLAR has been completed?
                            Having completed 6 years in with specialty courses,medals and such, does that apply to the meriting of my re-enlistment and seen more than just skilled or am I being processed/ranked as a regular application competitor?(interview,medical,aptitude,education)

thank you for any insight given.

You will need to have the PLAR complete prior to being on the merit list.
Your plar will take eons to have completed, mine took from August 2012-February 2013 and I was told I could not be merit listed until my PLAR was complete as the clerk would have their "knuckles rapped" if they did.

It took a VERY VERY VERY nice person on this board(I'll let them chime in if they want too) to even get my PLAR back in that time frame since it wasn't initially sent and had to be re-sent I think 3 times in total. I had a lot of different information supplied to me from my CFRC, to the point where I almost gave up the hope of serving once again.

FYI:
I was reserves and released to Sup-R list and enrolled in RegF.  Applied for RegF in Dec-2011, JUST being sworn in this coming May.

Well I guess the recruiter on my end is going to get his knucks rapped because he said he added me to the merit list that very moment

I don't know how the process goes for reserves to reg but I can only assume it would be slightly more simple to re-enlist to my old job especially it being under a year.

now I know Infantry is in the closed occupation phase and an intelligent Mcpl at the national headquarters level inquired about my application which received approval months ago I would think the PLAR would just be looking at my MPRR, seeing that my courses are up to date and passing it along.

Overmorrow said:
Well I guess the recruiter on my end is going to get his knucks rapped because he said he added me to the merit list that very moment      :rofl:

I don't know how the process goes for reserves to reg but I can only assume it would be slightly more simple to re-enlist to my old job especially it being under a year.

now I know Infantry is in the closed occupation phase and an intelligent Mcpl at the national headquarters level inquired about my application which received approval months ago I would think the PLAR would just be looking at my MPRR, seeing that my courses are up to date and passing it along.

Now that's funny!  Your trying to get back in after being out for only a short period of time.  If your recruiter adds you to the Merit List, that now means, that you are back in competition with all the other CF applicants applying for Infmn.

They only needed to contact the Infmn CM (RCR) and request a Posn #.  The RCR CM would review your files and it is entirely up to them to decide.  If it is a favourable response then, you have to wait for the PLAR results to come back and I can only assume that the reason behind the PLAR is because when you released you transferred over to the Supp Reserve.  And like SentryMan says, it may take sometime and you need to watch that process like a hawk!!!

So in a sense, your Recruiter didn't do you any favours....other than possibly getting their knuckles wrapped and delaying your return to the CF!

I didn't join/transfer to the reserves.

I was only going off what the recruiter had told me.

but thanks for the info
cheers

Overmorrow said:
I didn't join/transfer to the reserves.
I was only going off what the recruiter had told me.
but thanks for the info
cheers

Read my post again.  It is in response to what YOU posted based on the information you provided.  I think I am pretty good at reading posts, so when I replied, it was based on "your" situation.

If I had  :2c:  for everytime I heard or seen the statement of "what the recruiter had told me", I would be rich and so would everyone else!

Had nothing to do with Reserves, etc.....had everything to do with "return to Reg F Svc after being out for less than 5 years"...

Edit -  I almost forgot....if you did NOT transfer to the Supp Res when you released, then there is NO requirement for a PLAR.  Being on the Supp Res automatically triggers a PLAR while releasing outright doesn't.

I was wondering if anyone knew the significance of being merit listed. I found out last week I've been merit listed (DEO Infantry Officer). I've read a variety of different things on the forum of what it means. Some saying that everyone is ranked equally and it's a matter of when you were put on the list and positions being open. Some saying that there is a ranking system. Anyone want to clarify?

Back