• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comparing the Combat Arms (Inf vs. Engr vs. Armd vs. Arty)

-Skeletor- said:
Basic Mountain Ops,  if your unit runs it,  very good chance you can get on the course.  Otherwise you will have to wait if another unit in the area is running it and offers positions to the unit.

IIRC this is run out of CFLAWC in Trenton.....

NFLD Sapper said:
IIRC this is run out of CFLAWC in Trenton.....

Advanced Mountain Ops is CFLAWC course, BMO is listed on the CFLAWC website but I haven't heard/seen  anyone sent on it as the battalions(PPCLI at least) run their own course, as well as some reserve units.

http://www.army.gc.ca/iaol/143000440001170/143000440001188/index-Eng.html

-Skeletor- said:
For courses like Basic Para, don't get your hopes up and expect it.  There is limited number of positions on the course that will be givin to the Brigades and you will be competing against others.  You could get on that course, but you may not.  With a lot of the courses that are run out of area, it really comes down to right place, right time, being in good standing with the unit, and being fit.  Also, you don't need to be Infantry to get this course,  it is open to all trades.

Basic Mountain Ops,  if your unit runs it,  very good chance you can get on the course.  Otherwise you will have to wait if another unit in the area is running it and offers positions to the unit.

For right now,  just focus on the short term, ie getting into the Reserves, then doing BMQ and DP1, everything after that is far away for you at this point.

Thanks for the info. "Focus on the short term" seems like solid advice right now. However, for good measure.... from this LINK you provided, it looks like 10/12 of the BMO candidates were Infantry Reservists and then Arty and Armour Reservists each had one candidate on the course. That's not bad at all.

This forum has already helped me so much (espeicially Skeletor), but I have yet another question. I've been browsing/lurking everywhere on the forums the past few days and I came across this thread regarding Armoured Reservists and problems with deploying. Will I have greater oppurtunity for deployments if I wait for infantry to open up? Am I once again getting ahead of myself?

That thread is 6 years old,  things changed quite a bit from then.    From what I saw during my tour in Afghanistan,  and what I heard from some friends who are Armour Recce Reservists..

Majority of Armour Recce Reservists were placed in the NSE Force Protection Platoons to provide security on Combat Logistics Patrols(Convoys).

Some also worked in positions like CIMIC/PRT, during 1-08 2x Armour Recce Reservists were put in the BG Signals Platoon as Bison Drivers.  During tour one went to do Paving Project Security at Ma'Shum Ghar and the other did stay with Sigs as a TCCC/RRB Member.  If wondering, he spent a considerable amount of time away from KAF going on out RRB tasks(FOB and COP).  I know one dude who was a LAVIII Driver(OC Driver?) for the LdSH Sqn that was over during TF 3-07, and another Reservist who was working with B Ech(?) as a ARV Driver during 1-08.  As well,  I know of another Armour Recce Reservist(SALH I believe) who was a Leopard driver during 1-08.  There was another SALH(?) Soldier who was on 1-08, and I'm pretty sure he was also a Leopard crewman

As for how things are going now,  you missed out on Afghanistan.  I'm not sure how many Armour Recce Reservists are overseas now for Op Attention.  As for how things will work on any possible/future Operations,  just have to wait and see.

I'm slightly biased but I would recommend joining The Eddies, great unit with a lot of solid, committed members. Definitely show up on Wednesday night you can pick brains of guys from both units and get to see some training possibly (could be really informative, or just a cleaning/organizational night).

Also on a side note towards courses/training. We (LER) are managing to run more and more courses in house, we've got a decent amount of guys qualified as instructors for several courses.

sharp_85 said:
I'm slightly biased but I would recommend joining The Eddies, great unit with a lot of solid, committed members. Definitely show up on Wednesday night you can pick brains of guys from both units and get to see some training possibly (could be really informative, or just a cleaning/organizational night).

Also on a side note towards courses/training. We (LER) are managing to run more and more courses in house, we've got a decent amount of guys qualified as instructors for several courses.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping to go in next Wednesday, as I just finished my exams. At the moment, the LER is my first choice.
Unfortunately, I was told that the LER wasn't accepting new applicants, and I want to be in as soon as possible.
Maybe talking to people will convince me that the infantry is worth the wait, however.

Would you know approximately what time is the best time to come in?

Well then I might see you there! I've been away for a while for work but should be back this Wednesday. We start at 1900 but it should be a CO's parade which means inspection and some updates so if you're there by about 1930 - 2000 everyone should be getting on with the business for the night and the recruiting staff should be in their office. Those will be the best people to talk to about whether we are accepting new applicants or not.

I'm not sure who the recruiting staff are anymore, but the clerks at the office as you come in will be able to help you. Or at the least find someone who can! Good luck.

Yeah, well I have a shirt that says:

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger;

Except the Royal Canadian Armour Corp,
They will kill you and then sing songs about it.

Speed and violence, all the way!

I've been considering Armoured for quite some time now, but my biggest issue is relying on a giant machine instead of my own mind and body. Also, ive been trying to find a diffinitive answer on which rifle crewman carry, if any. Some say C8s, which make sense being shorter than the C7. I also am a fairly restless guy, always bouncing my leg and looking around. I love the idea of being Infantry, hiking and clearing buildings. But Im not looking forward too being around a bunch of meathead guys whose biggest issue is how tough they are because I got enough of that playing rugby. I was honours all through highschool, my dad doesnt want me to be in the army but he would prefer if I became a signal opperator or work in an intelligence based field. Are my assumptions about both trades wrong or is there a better trade for me to go into? Thankyou.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Denty618 said:
I've been considering Armoured for quite some time now, but my biggest issue is relying on a giant machine instead of my own mind and body. Also, ive been trying to find a diffinitive answer on which rifle crewman carry, if any. Some say C8s, which make sense being shorter than the C7. I also am a fairly restless guy, always bouncing my leg and looking around. I love the idea of being Infantry, hiking and clearing buildings. But Im not looking forward too being around a bunch of meathead guys whose biggest issue is how tough they are because I got enough of that playing rugby. I was honours all through highschool, my dad doesnt want me to be in the army but he would prefer if I became a signal opperator or work in an intelligence based field. Are my assumptions about both trades wrong or is there a better trade for me to go into? Thankyou.

See also,

OP: Denty618
Denty618 said:
I've been considering Armoured for quite some time now, but my biggest issue is relying on a giant machine instead of my own mind and body. Also, ive been trying to find a definitive answer on which rifle crewman carry, if any. Most say C8s, which make sense being shorter than the C7. I also am a fairly restless guy, always bouncing my leg and looking around. I love the idea of being Infantry, hiking and clearing buildings. But Im not looking forward too being around a bunch of meathead guys whose biggest issue is how tough they are because I got enough of that playing rugby. I was honours all through highschool, my dad doesnt want me to be in the army but he would prefer if I became a signal opperator or work in an intelligence based field. Are my assumptions about both trades wrong or is there a better trade for me to go into? Thankyou.

Denty618 said:

That's a pretty high opinion you've got of yourself there, along with a pretty low one of people you think you may want to serve with. Maybe you need to educate yourself a little before you start spouting off about "meatheads" and whatever else.

Kat Stevens said:
That's a pretty high opinion you've got of yourself there, along with a pretty low one of people you think you may want to serve with. Maybe you need to educate yourself a little before you start spouting off about "meatheads" and whatever else.
I can see how that would come across arrogant. I meant to ask if that is the kind of guys that are in infantry as Ive heard. I didnt mean to accuse all Infantry men as being meatheads. It was an error on my part, thankyou for pointing it out.

Back