• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commitment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

naudet55

Inactive
Reaction score
Howdy all!

I have a quick question about our contract/commitment once we have been signed on.

I am currently on the merit list as a Med Tech, I am hoping to get an offer once the fiscal year info is finalized(this weeek sometime I think). I was told that as a Med Tech. the minimum commitment is 6 yrs.  I have every intention of making this a career til they don't allow me to work anymore, but I am curious about something. Here's my question.  At what point do they start to count towards your time due, is it as soon as you start BMQ or is it later at some point?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
thanks

It counts from the day you sign on the dotted line at the Recruiting Centre.

naudet55 said:
the minimum commitment is 6 yrs.

Mhmmm, unless of course your Recruiting Officer comes into work right out of it and accidentally gives you a 4 year contract to sign instead.  Not saying that happens or anything...**cough**

Good luck at BMQ

Your contract begins to tick down the first day you begin receiving pay.  Typically, this is one or two days before you begin basic -- travel time to your place of duty is considered duty.  You can request a release at any time and not incur any financial penalty, but that release may not be instantaneously granted.

Since you mentioned med tech, I think you will undergo subsidized education.  During subsidized education, you incur obligatory service.  Once you have completed your subsidized education, you will begin to pay down that obligatory service; for officers, the period of obligatory service is 2 months service for every month of subsidy to a maximum of five years.  Should you voluntarily release before your obligatory service is complete, you will be required to pay back all or some of your service in cash.  Your obligatory service can end before your contract does.  In which case, you will still be held to your terms of service, you will just be able to request release without financial penalty.

Shamrock said:
Your contract begins to tick down the first day you begin receiving pay.  Typically, this is one or two days before you begin basic -- travel time to your place of duty is considered duty.  You can request a release at any time and not incur any financial penalty, but that release may not be instantaneously granted.

Since you mentioned med tech, I think you will undergo subsidized education.  During subsidized education, you incur obligatory service.  Once you have completed your subsidized education, you will begin to pay down that obligatory service; for officers, the period of obligatory service is 2 months service for every month of subsidy to a maximum of five years.  Should you voluntarily release before your obligatory service is complete, you will be required to pay back all or some of your service in cash.  Your obligatory service can end before your contract does.  In which case, you will still be held to your terms of service, you will just be able to request release without financial penalty.

Since I am applying for Med Tech as well, I just want to ask for clarification purposes:  Yes there is subsidized education we will be going through, but does the 6 year contract we sign start at the end of all the education they put us through? Or does the mandatory 6 years start just before we start BMQ as stated above? 

I too plan on going career so this does not make a big difference but I would like to know the duration of my initial contract.  But it does make a difference to the initial time of serivce, as in for some unlucky few individuals I've read about in these forums, it can take up to 2 years to complete all the training (because of time in PAT waiting for courses to begin, placement at the JIBC, etc) meaning they would only be actually working in their trade for the remaining 4? 

I was under the impression by the recruiters I've been dealing with that the 6 years does in fact include training but the above post made me second guess... 

Your six years service includes the time you will spend in training.  Your six years is based on how much time the Army has to spend sending you on course.

That is why the contract is longer for Medics than other trades that only require a 3 year contract.
cn said:
as in for some unlucky few individuals I've read about in these forums, it can take up to 2 years to complete all the training (because of time in PAT waiting for courses to begin, placement at the JIBC, etc)

Mhmm, why do you think I'm so unbothered by my waiting period?  All pensionable time.  :)  Retiring at 40 something sounds good to me.

MedKAWD said:
Your six years service includes the time you will spend in training.  Your six years is based on how much time the Army has to spend sending you on course.

That is why the contract is longer for Medics than other trades that only require a 3 year contract.
Mhmm, why do you think I'm so unbothered by my waiting period?  All pensionable time.  :)  Retiring at 40 something sounds good to me.

That's what I was thinking.. Thanks for clearing that up!

And yeah, a full pension and retirement (in my case before I'm 49) sounds excellent!  ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back