• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commentary "Why No One Should Join the Canadian Forces"

Schindler's Lift said:
A private members bill would get him, maybe, a page 2 headline in his hometown newspaper and wouldn't get past first reading.  It won't set any precedent other then confirm most private members bills are a waste of time unless they are in lockstep with the flavour of the day minor subject.
y

If he is sincere about his beliefs he should present his bill anyways.  It is called put up or shut up.  When it fails, and it will, interview with the local radio station regarding his failure and why, make changes to his bill and then present it again and again.  Far more likely to have an affect than the mouthing off that passes for politics now and at least it will demonstrate that he believes what he is saying.  That is good for votes too.  A sincere polit. is a rare commodity these days.

For the record, I personally know Bruce. I've stood beside him on parades and drank with him on occasion. I am part of the organization he founded, the Afghanistan Veterans Association of Canada. Do I agree with his politics? Anyone who has read my opinions here knows the obvious answer to that. However, politics aside, Bruce is a genuine and sincere individual. He does not make things up.

Bruce had part of his brain shot away in Afghanistan and VAC fucked him. Period. Gave him a five figure cheque in the low thirties, IIRC, and told him to hit the road. There's no support for us in Windsor. Harper closed our office. Now we deal with London, by phone, if you can get through. The only people that reached out to help him were Joe Comartin and Brian Masse, both NDP MPs in Windsor. Personally, I don't care for either of them. However, if they were able to give Bruce a national voice so he can advocate on our behalf, I congratulate them.

Slightly off topic, I have also seen more than enough times where there was only enough ammo to qualify the actual PWT 3 scenario. The only reason we had extra was because not everyone showed for the shoot. That is not bullshit, as some would imply, but a fact.

Bruce does not deserve some of the derision that's been stated or implied here.

I'll slightly modify the old saw. Unless you've walked a mile in his shoes and know the man's circumstances personally, you should STFU.

My  :2c:

Michael O'Leary said:
Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI)
The Royal Canadian Regiment (The RCR)
The Essex and Kent Scottish (EK Scot)

He could have at least tried to get the names right, it's not like we keep those secret from anyone.

You mean the press should have tried to get the names right. Trust me, he knows the actual full names of those Regiments.

daftandbarmy said:
Based on this article, I'm pretty sure he'd make a lousy MP for any party...

And that's how most Canadians vote. From biased media articles and sheer ignorance of the personal qualities of the candidate and what they stand for.

Sorry RG, but that does not fly. Bruce was not interviewed- he claims authorship of the op-Ed piece. Therefore, he is responsible for accuracy of the information within the article.  He has some valid points that are buried under a mountain of junk statements that even basic research would have fixed.

I am sorry that he was both wounded and treated badly by VAC. Perhaps, he should have spoke about what he knows- which is to say what happened to him personally. That would have made a compelling article.

SeaKingTacco said:
Sorry RG, but that does not fly. Bruce was not interviewed- he claims authorship of the op-Ed piece. Therefore, he is responsible for accuracy of the information within the article.  He has some valid points that are buried under a mountain of junk statements that even basic research would have fixed.

I am sorry that he was both wounded and treated badly by VAC. Perhaps, he should have spoke about what he knows- which is to say what happened to him personally. That would have made a compelling article.

This article sounds more like a ***** fest at the junior ranks mess than a serious opinion piece.  Too bad, it had potential.

ModlrMike said:
The simple truth is that the Government, any government, gives the CF only so much real support as the pubic wants. I'm not talking the flashy commercials and rah-rah speeches. I mean real dollars and cents support. The true blame for underfunding accrues not to the government, but rather to the governed.
I agree and disagree to this comment.
The current government works off public sentiment in order to keep its popular support - concur.
The current government is not supporting veterans as shown by the current VA administration, policies and funding.  There is popular support for Vets but the government is ignoring this.  The new Minister, DM and COS have not made any announcements for positive change.

BorisK said:
Exactly what I needed to read on the day I completed my swearing in ceremony. 

I'm looking at it this way... Even if it my experience in the CF does prove to be less than enjoyable due to the reasons outlined in the article, someone has to do it, so I will do my best to do so with pride regardless of the difficulties.

I must say though, how we spend less than Spain... I am confused. 

Oh well, let the journey begin.

Agree with Eye, I had a great go the first  3/4 of my Career, Time and place, some people have great rides, some dont, its how the cards play for you.

For what it's worth, I have troops OTing, not renewing their contract, or outright VRing to my left right and centre, and this article states almost word for word what they have said, and what my current troops are saying.

And I can tell you one thing that is not fiction, that 1 RCR indeed had no LAVs at one point and were doing all training dismounted, and 2 RCR has been in the same boat on a few occasions. In fact, I would argue we have been in that boat for about 1.5 years, less a few occasions.

Personally, I think some of the people in this thread are drinking way too much of the Kool-aid to automatically attack the author.

As someone intending to go Regular Force Infantry I'm still willing to take my years of life and work experience into the CAF. I feel that the author of the article is essentially telling others to give up on the military, whereas I believe now is when the best and brightest this country has to offer should be filling the ranks. I am worried that those who have experience aren't all gonna be there to pass that on to NCM and Junior Officer's

FortYorkRifleman said:
As someone intending to go Regular Force Infantry I'm still willing to take my years of life and work experience into the CAF. I feel that the author of the article is essentially telling others to give up on the military, whereas I believe now is when the best and brightest this country has to offer should be filling the ranks. I am worried that those who have experience aren't all gonna be there to pass that on to NCM and Junior Officer's

The military is like any other job.  There will be high points and low points.  There are always those who will think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, and often leave to find out it is not.  One thing that the military, especially the Combat Arms, provides more than any other occupation is lifelong camaraderie.  Like any career, it will be what YOU make it.

ballz said:
For what it's worth, I have troops OTing, not renewing their contract, or outright VRing to my left right and centre, and this article states almost word for word what they have said, and what my current troops are saying.

And I can tell you one thing that is not fiction, that 1 RCR indeed had no LAVs at one point and were doing all training dismounted, and 2 RCR has been in the same boat on a few occasions. In fact, I would argue we have been in that boat for about 1.5 years, less a few occasions.

Personally, I think some of the people in this thread are drinking way too much of the Kool-aid to automatically attack the author.

Like I said, the article had potential but buddy blew it with his partisan political BS.

George Wallace said:
The military is like any other job.  There will be high points and low points.  There are always those who will think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, and often leave to find out it is not.  One thing that the military, especially the Combat Arms, provides more than any other occupation is lifelong camaraderie.  Like any career, it will be what YOU make it.

Definitely and with Suncor cutting 1000+ jobs along with the continuing drop in oil prices I suspect plenty of former CF members will want to return. I do take issue with the author saying joining the CAF should be a last resort; myself and many others I have met have work experience and life experience and are willing to give up the benefits of a civilian job to join. I like to think its the people in the CAF, not the equipment, that make this organization what it is

SeaKingTacco said:

Editors change stuff all the time without asking the author.  It could have been the case here?

RoyalDrew said:
Like I said, the article had potential but buddy blew it with his partisan political BS.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/bruce-moncur/remembrance-day-veterans_b_4220830.html

You have to admit, after going through that, and then getting treated the way he did - do you know anyone who wouldn't be partisan by then?

Occam said:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/bruce-moncur/remembrance-day-veterans_b_4220830.html

You have to admit, after going through that, and then getting treated the way he did - do you know anyone who wouldn't be partisan by then?

A valid point; however, he let his emotions get in the way of his argument.  He also alienated a large portion of his peers that probably would have substantiated his claims had he used a different tone.  He won't last long in politics behaving like that.

RoyalDrew said:
A valid point; however, he let his emotions get in the way of his argument.  He also alienated a large portion of his peers that probably would have substantiated his claims had he used a different tone.  He won't last long in politics behaving like that.

Who of his peers has he alienated ? 

It depends - raw emotions or passion can draw people to your side if done correctly.  Judging from what he has written about his injuries and the terrible response from Veteran Affairs I think that I would have acted the same.  I doubt that many people would be able distance themselves from their emotions after this.
Moral outrage is what he wants to solicit from the public in order to fuel support for his campaign.  I feel sorry for what has happened to him and I support his fight against Veterans Affairs but I do not subscribe to NDP's policies.

RoyalDrew said:
The best propaganda political statements are always based on a kernel of truth  >:D

What he's been through does suck - big time - but if he wants to be part of any party political machine (and it's openly disclosed in the op-ed piece), then anything he writes is going to be seen through that lens.

Halifax Tar said:
Who of his peers has he alienated ?

Read some of the comments on Huffpost, bunch of folks calling him out for inaccuracies.  Of course he also had the usual suspects supporting him.  He had the potential to be seen as an actual advocate for veterans, instead he will be seen as an NDP stooge.  He is a reservist corporal with extremely limited knowledge of the inner workings of the institution.  In other words, he is a faux expert and an even worse one than Scott Taylor, who at least has built up some shred of credibility.

What do I think is funny about this?  Is this really the best the NDP can muster?  Liberals hired the former Commander of the Canadian Army and this is what they give us?

Back