• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comm Research

Puck, is that confirmed that the course won't be happening? I'm guessing the feb one will be zero loaded too since the two courses are only a month apart and I doubt they'll be able to get the clearances within a month. Should I be planning for the May course?

Any of you guys know if there will be a course phase 1 (just out of BMQ) in January? or is it in 2011?

There`s a Phase 1 scheduled for 11 Jan 10, now will they have enough people to run is a different story. The october phase 1 course was zero loaded probably due to not having enough candidates.

Would you happen to know how many candidates are required and if they are every 3 months or yearly?

Minimum is 16, at least that`s what the CFSCE course calendar states. Course after January is in March so it looks like they run 4 serials a year.

If you're still on BMQ, I wouldn't worry too much about when the next phase 1 course starts. You'll have to do your BMQ(land) - what used to be called SQ - before they will course load you on your phase 1 anyhow. At least this week. Requirements seem to change in random ways at random times.

Ditto for course dates,  they're subject to change right up until the start date, and in at least one case, several days after the start date.

None of which matters, because you'll be sitting around for a year or two or three waiting for your security clearance anyhow. More than enough  time  to fit in all your required courses.

Start cultivating patience now, you'll need it.

A quick update on Part 2, it looks like the Jan course is zero loaded, going off the CFSCE calendar. I`ll venture a guess that the same thing will happen to the February course as well.

Gawd, I'm really starting to wonder if I made the right choice... I love the fact that I'll be doing SQ and possibly naval training in the future, but is Comm Rsch worth the wait (courses+security clearance)?

I keep hearing it's a great job, but how can my career make any progress if I'll be waiting years to complete my QL3?!

Anyone can enlighten me on this, what is there to do when you wait for your trade school? (I know it's unit's decision for most options, but any personal experiences?)

P.S.: Comm Rsch wasn't in my choices, was my last choice because of my vision (V4) and in the navy element. (Thus this reflection)

meni0n said:
A quick update on Part 2, it looks like the Jan course is zero loaded, going off the CFSCE calendar. I`ll venture a guess that the same thing will happen to the February course as well.

...at least we're not sig ops any more!

Amen to that GDawg.

To freakerz, I understand how you feel as myself and probably most of the guys who are waiting for the part 2 are feeling exactly the same. Stuck in the grey area where there is no information on when you will be on course or even when your clearance will come in. Me and GD already got our level 3 but we're waiting for our SA right now, I think GD has been waiting for his since October and mine got submitted just this month due to being in a black hole of CFSCE admin. What's also frustrating is not knowing when you'll be on course even when you get your clearance. They keep zero loading part 2s, at this rate they might run one or two this year again. So even if you  got your clearance, you might be waiting half a year to get on course. I am lucky than most as I got to stay with my unit because I was an OT and I'm basically doing the same jobs before, and will be here until I get on course.

I have a buddy in Ottawa and I hear the same thing, that it's worth the wait and it's a great trade. I know he'll never lie to me about things like that so that is why I am still waiting. The only thing I can recommend to you is to get an ILP and take some college/university courses or some OPME courses. This will keep you busy, get you extra points on a PER later on.

freakerz said:
Gawd, I'm really starting to wonder if I made the right choice... I love the fact that I'll be doing SQ and possibly naval training in the future, but is Comm Rsch worth the wait (courses+security clearance)?

I keep hearing it's a great job, but how can my career make any progress if I'll be waiting years to complete my QL3?!

Anyone can enlighten me on this, what is there to do when you wait for your trade school? (I know it's unit's decision for most options, but any personal experiences?)

P.S.: Comm Rsch wasn't in my choices, was my last choice because of my vision (V4) and in the navy element. (Thus this reflection)

You'll do BMQ-L (what used to be called SQ), and getting on the QL3 part I is a sure thing. During the QL3 part I you will submit your security clearance paperwork and then the waiting game for part II begins. Things get a bit depressing at that point as you will be in the CFSCE PAT Pl. Things are getting better, CFSCE is starting to re-realize that Comm Rsch PATs are different from the other PATs. There will be general duties tasks around CFB Kingston to keep you busy, and hopefully you'll land a "long term" tasking to keep you busy while you wait for a course.

Its a shame that the system is so bunged up, but its a good trade and if you can keep a positive attitude you can do some self improvement while at CFSCE, like meni0n said.

meni0n said:
The only thing I can recommend to you is to get an ILP and take some college/university courses or some OPME courses. This will keep you busy, get you extra points on a PER later on.

+1

This is really good advice to ANYONE that has some time to kill.

psssst...sorry guys, quick hi-jack here.  Does anyone know which OPME courses count as full university credits?  Just starting to really consider the UTPNCM.
  Thanks  :cdn:

http://www.rmc.ca/aca/dcs-dep/ftl/rmctcg-tcacmr.pdf

or

http://www.rmc.ca/aca/dcs-dep/ftl/rmcbmas-cmrbasm-eng.asp

CallOfDuty said:
psssst...sorry guys, quick hi-jack here.  Does anyone know which OPME courses count as full university credits?  Just starting to really consider the UTPNCM.
  Thanks  :cdn:

Intro to Defense Management & Intro to Mil Law do not count.  The rest are good to go.

Yeah, I guess I would have time and money to do a university degree (one-two course at a time) ...

So the security clearance they made me fill on week X of BMQ for "top secret" clearance is not being processed yet, they took prints and references NOW, but I'll have to submit new ones in Kingston?  :-X (lady told me it would get processed "right away" ... lol)

Your MOSID is wrong. There is no "0"291. It's 00120.
No one's clearance gets processed right away. Get yourself ready for a few months on PAT Platoon when you get to Kingston.

freakerz said:
Yeah, I guess I would have time and money to do a university degree (one-two course at a time) ...

So the security clearance they made me fill on week X of BMQ for "top secret" clearance is not being processed yet, they took prints and references NOW, but I'll have to submit new ones in Kingston?  :-X (lady told me it would get processed "right away" ... lol)

Frorm my experience (and I can only speak for mine), my paperwork that was filled out at St. Jean was sufficient, and was entered into the system while I was doing BMQ. That being said, every case may be different, and you will be given further information when you do your Phase I course.

I am currently in the training system at CFSCE,  I also did the apparent "top secret" clearance paper work in st jean. However I had to get another set of prints and photos done here. And it has now started the process

Back