• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Engineers

anacondatmz said:
My only question about this trade is do all combat engineers spend time disarming, and clearing landmines/IED's?
All Cbt Engr are trained in mine and counter-mine warfare.  All are also trained in EOD - but only the sub-set of EOD that is known as Conventional Munitions Disposal (CMD).  This is a very narrow focus that is worried about the identification and in-place destruction of the sorts of conventional munitions that one can find littered on former battlefields.

Some Cbt Engr (as stated above) can go on to more advanced EOD training that involves render-safe procedures, destruction of chemical weapons, and IEDD (IED Disposal).  Most Cbt Engr will not do this - some cannot do it, some don't want to do it, and others just don't get the opportunity. 

MCG said:
Most Cbt Engr will not do this - some cannot do it, some don't want to do it, and others just don't get the opportunity. 

Alternatively, some can do it but don't want to, some shouldn't do it but do, and others seem to never leave the CIED world, and do nothing but geek out with the robots!

Capt. Happy said:
Sure seems to be a lot of prospective Engrs this time of year  ???

They're all hoping the trade opens up for recruiting in the New Year.

MCG said:
Most Cbt Engr will not do this - some cannot do it, some don't want to do it, and others just don't get the opportunity.

Sorry but what do you mean by some don't get the opportunity? Don't all Combat Engineers have the same courses and training available? Also the "some cannot do it" ? Could you please explain why?

Thanks !  :salute:

naks said:
Sorry but what do you mean by some don't get the opportunity?

Not all soldiers get to do every course there is. Its not because you want to take a specific course that you will get that course. Your chain of command decides who gets what.

naks said:
Also the "some cannot do it" ? Could you please explain why?

It means two things: some people simply never get the chance to get on the courses required to do CIED. They will however still do CMD and mine warfare.

Also, despite the best efforts of our recruiting and initial training folks, some people arrive at their units with a barely developed ability to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. These are not the types you would send on a course like IED Disposal.

Towards_the_gap said:
... some people simply never get the chance to get on the courses required to do CIED.
Be carefull not to confuse your terminology.  C-IED is not an EOD thing.  C-IED is an all-arms thing in which attack the network and all-arms drills should be a bigger part than the EOD element of IEDD.

naks said:
Sorry but what do you mean by some don't get the opportunity? Don't all Combat Engineers have the same courses and training available? Also the "some cannot do it" ? Could you please explain why?

Thanks !  :salute:

IEDD is a very demanding specialty that currently has somewhere in the vicinity of a 75 - 80% course failure rate. As it can be an extremely dangerous job that requires one to be on their toes continuously and have a certain aptitude, not everyone is selected to attempt the course, and even those that are, sometimes are unsuccessful.

To borrow Toward the Gap's analogy, "some don't get the opportunity" sometimes boils down to if a soldier cannot walk and chew bubble gum at the same time, there is no way in hell that their Chain of Command will even consider allowing that soldier to take a highly coveted spot on a course and waste everyone's time. By "some cannot do it" - I've seen guys that are wizards when it comes to figuring out how things work, and think outside the box continuously get stumped and shit the bed - so-to-speak - when it came down to conducting the IED task alloted to them because they don't have "it".

When it comes to IEDD, some got "it", most don't. CMD on the other hand, is another core Engr responsibility that all Engr NCMs are trained in. And even though it is a core training subject, the failure rate there is pretty high as well. Most of the time, a young Spr or Cpl can be taught almost all of the skills required to conduct basic CMD, but to get anywhere past that, it mostly is something that one is "good at" right from the get go....

MCG said:
Be carefull not to confuse your terminology.  C-IED is not an EOD thing.  C-IED is an all-arms thing in which attack the network and all-arms drills should be a bigger part than the EOD element of IEDD.

Quite... I meant IEDD.

awesome you guys are so full of information, thank you very much for the info! :)

So, I did a search and couldn't find a thread on it. I'm (hopefully) doing my military co-op next year for Combat Engineer, and hope to make a long lived career out of it. I was wondering, what the common duties of a Combat Engineer are? (I know the basics, construction of roads, etc, clearing minefields, constructing barriers). I would like to get into EOD, and was also wondering what they'd look for to get into EOD?

Kingoflaughter said:
So, I did a search and couldn't find a thread on it. I'm (hopefully) doing my military co-op next year for Combat Engineer, and hope to make a long lived career out of it. I was wondering, what the common duties of a Combat Engineer are? (I know the basics, construction of roads, etc, clearing minefields, constructing barriers). I would like to get into EOD, and was also wondering what they'd look for to get into EOD?

So, absolutely nothing in here;  http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,5.0.html  has any useful information for you?

Sapplicant said:
. At 6ft 170/180lbs, I'm not exactly the biggest lad out there. Conversely, I'm not the smallest.
I've seen a few "lady" soldiers/sappers at 5ft f@#k-all and 101lbs-and-a-bit kick a$$ all around - putting guys 6ft + to shame...
These "girls" could do all the sapper tasks and do the BFT in under 1:45 to give you an idea.
So,  size does not matter if you have the heart - mental toughness makes up for a lot of apparent physical shortcomings.

CHIMO!

I am wondering what the waiting list for being accepted as a combat engineer is currently? I was also wondering if it would be better to apply now and be put on a waiting list or to wait for it to become in demand?

Jordan0425 said:
I am wondering what the waiting list for being accepted as a combat engineer is currently? I was also wondering if it would be better to apply now and be put on a waiting list or to wait for it to become in demand?

It is better to apply now and wait. As long as you are competitive candidate, your application is better off completed and waiting for an offer. If you wait until the trade is "in demand" before you apply, then someone else who applied now will likely get an offer before your application is complete. And the trade may no longer be in demand by the time your process is complete and you are merited.

Michael O'Leary said:
It is better to apply now and wait. As long as you are competitive candidate, your application is better off completed and waiting for an offer. If you wait until the trade is "in demand" before you apply, then someone else who applied now will likely get an offer before your application is complete. And the trade may no longer be in demand by the time your process is complete and you are merited.

Michael definitely speaks the truth. It wasn't on purpose but I was in this exact situation.

Combat engineer was in demand when I decided to apply back in April 2010. By May 2010 it was full and I waited until March 2011 before I could do any processing. Then I was merit listed just after the last selections of 2011 so now I'm waiting until 2012 for, hopefully, my Job offer.

As you can see (even though it totally wasn't on purpose, I just happened to decide to apply when I did) waiting until CE is "In Demand" is going to make your application longer than it needs to be. Though it could still take a long time. No two applicants are the same.

Hello,

I applied back in September of 2011 and I recently passed my interview and got Merit Listed. I was just wondering how life is as a Combat Engineer.

How was the 5 month course in Gagetown?

How is Gagetown specifically?

How do you like your posting?

Whats your typical day like?

How often are you out of the country (USA?) training?

What do you like the most about the trade? What do you like the least?

I'm just looking for some insight as I am very excited to finally be apart of the CF.

Thanks,
Jon.

mmmjon said:
Hello,

I applied back in September of 2011 and I recently passed my interview and got Merit Listed. I was just wondering how life is as a Combat Engineer.

Skilled entrant, didn't do it

How is Gagetown specifically?

It is a place to say you have been to and gotten drunk in. That is my personal opinion, but nothing about the place really drew me to it.

How do you like your posting?

Meh. It is a job.

Whats your typical day like?

There is no typical day, at least at my rank level. However for the young sappers in the sqn, life in a field troop consists of PT from 0730-0930, then either training, maintenance, tasks and on wednesday afternoons organised sports.

How often are you out of the country (USA?) training?

Depends on the squadron you get posted to. Right now 2 CER has a squadron in Norway and a squadron in California.

What do you like the most about the trade? What do you like the least?

Most? The variety and amount of responsibilty and independence given to a section on ops or exercise. Least? Hopefully you will never have to know.

I'm just looking for some insight as I am very excited to finally be apart of the CF.

Thanks,
Jon.

Thanks,  Towards_the_gap.

Much appreciated. 6 years in the British military eh?

If anyone else would like to answer the questions as well, go for it. Its safe to say that myself and the other candidates wouldn't mind the info. It might also prevent other threads  :p

I've only been at regiment for a year now, but I'd be happy to share some of my opinions.

1.)How was the 5 month course in Gagetown?

-It was the hardest thing I've done in my career thus far. Mind you I've yet to be deployed overseas. It gets pretty miserable at times, however
you also get a chance to do some very cool things many trades are jealous of. The harder your course, the better that feeling of accomplishment afterwards.

2.) How is Gagetown specifically?

-I wasn't a fan. Towards_the_gap hit the nail on the head. I was happy to get there from basic, and I was much, much happier to get out.
Mind you you'll get some good stories out of it.

3.) How do you like your posting?

-As an anglophone posted to a french regiment it was challenging when I first arrived, although there are a good number of us here now. I was lucky enough
to be provided with some french language training. This upcoming year is loaded with exercises, which I personally prefer over being in a building all day. The ladies
here are something ;)

4.) Whats your typical day like?

-At the sapper level we generally do PT in the mornings, followed by some small task, lunch, wait to be tasked out doing some other random job that needs to be done.
We are given a pretty high level of autonomy.

5.) How often are you out of the country (USA?) training?

I've yet to be out, but I've got some friends who have gotten a course or two down south, maybe an attachment to another regiment on an exercise.

6.) What do you like the most about the trade? What do you like the least?

I enjoy the variety of tasks we get while on ex.
I hate sweeping.

Back