• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Engineer or Infantry

Heh.... Engineers
The guys & gals that have the "big toys for big boys (and girls) ;D

Thumper/Bubbleheads all the way.....

And I'm not the slightest bit biased  ;D

Chimo

Okay, I'm not actually in YET, but my husband is an infantry NCM, and all he does is complain that it is REALLY boring on a standard day - you don't do nearly as much as you do in training, and especially now coming up to summer, there isn't much training or anything going on.

That said, he generally has PT sometime between 07:00 and 07:30 (could be a run, time in the gym, or as on some days, didly squat), then has a 10:00 timing for which they may have a class, do some sort of PT-style training (rappelling, hand-to-hand, rock climbing, etc.) Lunnch usually by 11:30ish, then back for 13:00 and again training of some sort, and off some time between 15:00 and 17:00. There are time when they'll head out to do field training, in which none of the timings are relevant, and depending on what's happening elsewhere on base, they may have other specific tasks or possibly nothing to do (after their last EX they spent several days cleaning the LAVs, whereas this week he has had days where they've been released early because of a lack of work, like today.) And at other times, he may be out overnight for field training.

Now, this isn't indicative of all infantry, nor of even every company in the battalion (2RCR). It just happens to be an average day for him. Things change, and honestly, we pretty much believe that no day is really "average" since he can be doing so many different things at so many different times. But I hope it helps a little bit.

Yawn  :boring: - Is that all the Infantry do ???
That explains a lot about why I'm always soo tired.... Opening the way for the Infantry and carrying everyone on my back    :p

geo said:
Yawn  :boring: - Is that all the Infantry do ???
That explains a lot about why I'm always soo tired.... Opening the way for the Infantry and carrying everyone on my back    :p

Please good sir, tell us of all the opening of ways and carrying you've done for us boring infantrymen :)

TheHead said:
Please good sir, tell us of all the opening of ways and carrying you've done for us boring infantrymen :)

Where would you like us thumperheads to start???

As a Combat Engineer, I would have to say go Infantry. Not that I don't like being a Combat Engineer but our secondary role is much more exciting than our primary role. Neither job requires anyone to be rocket scientists and that being said, show me a Infantry Sect Comd or Pl WO who has to carry around a battle box full of pubs in order to do his job?

Chimo/Pro-Patria!!!!

2023 said:
As a Combat Engineer, I would have to say go Infantry. Not that I don't like being a Combat Engineer but our secondary role is much more exciting than our primary role. Neither job requires anyone to be rocket scientists and that being said, show me a Infantry Sect Comd or Pl WO who has to carry around a battle box full of pubs in order to do his job?

Chimo/Pro-Patria!!!!

Very true unfortunately, the part about the battle box that is. While we are not "rocket scientists" our math skills must be above average. For the most part though the Engineers are utilized in the secondary role only as a last resort by the battle commander. Or at least it used to be that way.

Chimo

.... funny - In training, infantry leaders find that we are too methodical when it comes time to solve a problem.
Those notional mine fields they throw up on a map....  We start going thru our procedures to get them across & they blow a gasket cause it's taking too long (in their mind)... so they bypass us - declare the minefield breached & carry on the ex....

Then we get to somewhere where we have the real deal.... take your time they tell us - take your time

Rodahn said:
Very true unfortunately, the part about the battle box that is. While we are not "rocket scientists" our math skills must be above average. For the most part though the Engineers are utilized in the secondary role only as a last resort by the battle commander. Or at least it used to be that way.

Chimo

You aged yourself quite a bit........math skills? In the day of MS Excell there is no requirement for math skills. Everything is tables now. And even our Infantry brethern learn Exp Breaching. And I would disagree with your comment on being the last resort.....that's not true anymore at all. Ask any LAV Gnr from an Engr Sqn. In order to do our Primary role, we are often (8/10 times) called upon to do our Secondary role first.

Chimo/Pro-Patria!!!!

2023 said:
You aged yourself quite a bit........math skills? In the day of MS Excell there is no requirement for math skills. Everything is tables now. And even our Infantry brethern learn Exp Breaching. And I would disagree with your comment on being the last resort.....that's not true anymore at all. Ask any LAV Gnr from an Engr Sqn. In order to do our Primary role, we are often (8/10 times) called upon to do our Secondary role first.

Chimo/Pro-Patria!!!!

Fair enough, many moons ago when I was still a thumperhead, that is the way it was. Time has a way of changing things.

Chimo

Edited to correct grammar

Wow at least im not alone. I been strongly thinking of changing my MOC from Infantry to Combat Engineer. I still haven't decided. What type of math do Combat Enginee's do?

Back