• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Engineer Kit?

geo said:
Reservists could always be loaded onto Regular courses.... BUT how many units could afford to do that.... cause course loadings were on their nickle

In 2001, 44 FES had one guy on the same PBO course i was on. In 2003 i was the course NCO for the PBO and 44 FES sent 2 pers to the course.

Was talking mainly about trades courses and not the speciality courses.

On my ADV WSO course there were 6 Reg Force (4 from 5 RGC and 2 from 1 CER) and 8 Res Force on it.

geo said:
Reservists could always be loaded onto Regular courses.... BUT how many units could afford to do that.... cause course loadings were on their nickle

I know still trying to get the full Reg Force HE course.

I would like to thank everyone here for their comments and responses.

Regards,

Smarts

Sapper740 said:
I got out in 2000 so some of my comments might be outdated.  We were issued Leatherman's which were handy to have for most tasks when the proper tool wasn't available, if they don't issue them anymore, buy one..  Ditch the FE knife and buy a good quality folder with a 5" blade, don't waste your money on a stupid Rambo knife, they're too big to carry handily and are useless except for gutting Talibans, something you probably won't ever do. I found an excellent knife at an Electrical Supply store made by Klein and and convinced our supply Sargeant to buy for us.  And get a stone for it as dull knives are useless...Cambodian, sorry, Canadian Tire sells a small, handy, and cheap stone.  Get issued, buy, borrow or steal a high intensity chem light amd tie a short length of paracord to it.  When F16's start dropping bombs on you or you're being strafed by an A10, swing it vigorously in circles above your head.  The <MOD EDIT> don't carry them and you might save you and your fellow Engineer's asses.  On a more mundane issue, grab all the instant coffee packets you can get from you and your buddies IMP's 'cause the coffee they make in the field is way too weak and there aren't a lot of Tim Hortons outside of Canada.  Some of us...and I plead the 5th, bought the small plastic hip flasks from U.S. surplus stores to carry various liquids for those cold nights when you're doing fire piquet or starting the immersion heaters...a wee "Dram" of "buie" helps keep the cold out and the spirits up...just don't get caught or get drunk or you'll have two choices:  Court Martial or accept the RSM's punishments.  Important note...don't allow too much gas to drip into the bottom of the immersion heater as it sounds amazing similar to a mortar round being fired when it ignites and you don't know where the stove pipe will land.  Both will can and will get you into a lot of trouble.
     Now here's the most important advice I can give someone who's young, dumb, and full of cum...slow down and listen to the experienced guys.  Don't try to lift that bridge panel all by yourself.  Most tasks you'll be given are for a section, not an individual.  Don't try to be a hero, you'll just get you and other people injured or killed.  Souvenirs are cool and we all try to collect some but the goblins know that too and will booby trap them.  Don't fall asleep during theIED recognition lecture and remember SANDI.
     Glad you're joining the CF and I salute you :salute:

Thanks for the great comments and input Sapper.

Sapper740,

Welcome to the site.  Watch the tone - we don't mind foul language from time to time, but racial slurs will not be tolerated.

Other than that, enjoy.

MILNET.CA Staff

Smarts said:
I would like to thank everyone here for their comments and responses.
No problem. Welcome to the Branch - good luck on your courses.

CHIMO!

Frank

Back