• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Colourful Change of Command Ceremony in Trenton - Elvis+

Technoviking said:
It's an "army" thing ;)

I think a lot of the wearing of 1As and the length and fanfare was because the Wing Commander was promoted from Col. to BGen shortly before the parade -- they wanted a big party. But I agree -- do the standing at attention stuf, the pennant exchange, the three march pasts and that stuff on parade, and then do the other stuff at the reception.

Sparkplugs said:
I think a lot of the wearing of 1As and the length and fanfare was because the Wing Commander was promoted from Col. to BGen shortly before the parade -- they wanted a big party. But I agree -- do the standing at attention stuf, the pennant exchange, the three march pasts and that stuff on parade, and then do the other stuff at the reception.

I'm sure I'll be crucified by some here, but are 3x march pasts really necessary?  I like the way the Navy does it as Lumber and Pusser (the 2nd example) mentioned previously.  Short, sweet and gets the point across that it's to change commands, not stand around listening to multiple speeches. 

The speeches can be made at the reception.

I find the lack of comments on the Elvis here a bit disturbing.

;)

Dimsum said:
I'm sure I'll be crucified by some here, but are 3x march pasts really necessary?  I like the way the Navy does it as Lumber and Pusser (the 2nd example) mentioned previously.  Short, sweet and gets the point across that it's to change commands, not stand around listening to multiple speeches. 

The speeches can be made at the reception.
From all the parades I've been on, I never once thought we wasted time with march pasts. The biggest time wasters are waiting for reviewing officer, inspections, presentations, and speeches. Everything else flies by, and if rather march past twice (3rd is when you're leaving so doesn't count) to break up all the standing.

PuckChaser said:
From all the parades I've been on, I never once thought we wasted time with march pasts. The biggest time wasters are waiting for reviewing officer, inspections, presentations, and speeches. Everything else flies by, and if rather march past twice (3rd is when you're leaving so doesn't count) to break up all the standing.

Speeches are the worst.  Especially when so and so thanks everyone under the sun.

RoyalDrew said:
Speeches are the worst.  Especially when so and so thanks everyone under the sun.

It's even worse when politicians get involved. They have to thank everyone multiple times.

Last month for the CoC for the CO 76 Comm Gp HQ was probably the best one.

Everyone sitting in a side room at the Army Officer's Mess.  Nice a cool and close to the bar!

The CoC for 764 Comm Sqn tomorrow is the same format!!

Lumber said:
It's even worse when politicians get involved. They have to thank everyone multiple times.
HMCS QUADRA usually invites the local mayors as ROs for one of the summer's grad parades. Chatty characters. Not sure if some of them realize that perhaps half a dozen people on parade live in the area, and that most of them aren't of voting age.

I was happy with the march pasts overall -- got us moving again, anyway.

The best speech was the last one, "I know I'm the last guy standing between you guys and getting off of this brutally hot parade square, so I'll make this short!" and then it was almost half an hour solid.  :facepalm:

Bah well.

And Elvis cut me off while trying to get off the base so no love, haha, no love!

Sparkplugs said:
I was happy with the march pasts overall -- got us moving again, anyway.

The best speech was the last one, "I know I'm the last guy standing between you guys and getting off of this brutally hot parade square, so I'll make this short!" and then it was almost half an hour solid.  :facepalm:

Bah well.

And Elvis cut me off while trying to get off the base so no love, haha, no love!

The army would have changed the order of dress a jillion times before the parade: tunics on; tunics off; tunics on; and on and on ad infinitum.

You forgot the gloves on and gloves off part as well.  Doesn't matter if it's +40 or not.

I think the last speech was only 6 or 7 minutes - half an hour is a little harsh.

Everyone once in awhile, it's a good thing to remind ourselves that we're actually in the military as compared to a corporation, which would do something like this in a cafeteria or a boardroom.  Having said that though, we need to do everything we can to minimize the pain involved in terms of both dress and length.

RCAF Guy at Trenton said:
I think the last speech was only 6 or 7 minutes - half an hour is a little harsh.

Everyone once in awhile, it's a good thing to remind ourselves that we're actually in the military as compared to a corporation, which would do something like this in a cafeteria or a boardroom.  Having said that though, we need to do everything we can to minimize the pain involved in terms of both dress and length.

I think that the discussion so far has covered the major points.  Just because the last speech was only 6 to 7 minutes, does not excuse all the previous speeches being too lengthy under the weather conditions.

Back