• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

College or Reg Force

Sapper24

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all haven't posted in a while, coming up to a choice. I've been in college for a semester now, I'm not really liking it, I've decided to take a semester off and wrok full time after that I don't really know if I want to go back to college, my question is, is should I make the move from the reserves to the reg force or? any comments are welcome, and if this isn't in the right topic area please move this.

Sapper, CHIMO :cdn:

Sapper,

in my *opinion* (disclaimer: this is not a fact, nor should it be taken without a grain of salt or perhaps your own consideration) education is key. I'm currently in college and the reserves. Sure college isn't the greatest, but I think its necessary to have an edu-ma-cation. In a couple of years you'll be done college, and then you'll have all sorts of options open to you: reg force, perhaps university, etc. An education will help you in the future.

My $0.02

Education first. I'm not going to go to college, straight into the forces. Maybe after a year or so to do some things I want to do before I join.

College, College, College.  Or throat punch. Your choice. Seriously though, Reg force will always be there.  I have been in your shoes.  I left college unfinished to come back to the Reg Force.  I don't regret the Regs, but I do regret not finishing school.

College,

The army will always be there. After you graduate you might be able to apply as an Officer (if thats what you want). Plus if the CF doesn't pan out for you in the long run you always have that degree to fall back on. And if you drop out now, if you decide to go back in a few years it will probably be harder because you may have lost those study habits and what not.

Sapper24 said:
Hey all haven't posted in a while, coming up to a choice. I've been in college for a semester now, I'm not really liking it, I've decided to take a semester off and wrok full time after that I don't really know if I want to go back to college, my question is, is should I make the move from the reserves to the reg force or? any comments are welcome, and if this isn't in the right topic area please move this.

Do whatever makes you happiest, life is too short.

potato

Thanks for the input guys, seems like college is the way to go, ncm for life though, I'll never be an officer. Although spud does make a good point life is short, I don't know I'll make the decsion after all of my summer courses are done. (QL5 engineer and mod 6 of PLQ) but thanks again to all of you, I'll let you know what I choose

Sapper, CHIMO

Go for college and stick with the reserves. I was talking to the BPSO and to do a Bachelors Degree would probably take 8 years to complete if I stuck with the regs and did university online.

My own experience.. Just before I joined I went to university and thought it was OK. Then I spent 6 years in the PPCLI then got out and went back. The novelty of being back to school quickly degenerated into culture shock and I was perpetually incensed at the insipid navel gazing and general idleness of regular university folk... (don't get me started on the academic elitism, I am generalizing too.. there are a lot of very worthy people everywhere) my point is though that I wouldn't have noticed this had I not led an arguably spartan life before this... I'm a fairly easy going guy and like to take in new things so it's not like I went to school with a chip on my shoulder, I just did things backwards... go to school first, finish it up then join the army or navy/ air force whatever. I'm not saying this would be everyones experience but my conditioning made going back to school very difficult. Others have said the same.... still others said going back to school after the army was great... hope that helps a bit.

Sapper24 said:

Don't worry, I fight the same thoughts you have every waking day.  I think there are tonnes of college reservists who find themselves in this predicament - especially right after a wicked summer on the prairies. 

I stay in school because I listen to my elders... 

I think these guys are right, no joke.

I was in the same dilemma a couple months ago. I wasn't happy in college; it wasn't necessarily the school work either. I could have stayed in college to please my folks but I knew that would be the wrong decision. I withdrew from my program and put in a component transfer to go reg force.

I'm in a similar situation, I've been rejected twice so far for a medical issue with orthotics...long story, But I'm currently signed up for Reg Force. I've gone through extensive lengths to get notes from doctors and a sports injury therapists. So I should be getting "the call" pretty soon. I'm 19 and I have no education other than high school, and the past few months i've had way to much time to think about all of this but i'm now confused wether I should switch my application to the reserves, and go to college at the same time, or if I should just go through with it. Problem is I dont really know what I would do in college. I don't want to regret my decision which ever it turns out to be. I would love to get my career started but I also don't want to regret being uneducated.

I would recommend Education over Military. The Army (Air Force/Navy)  will always be there, education not so much.

Nfld Sapper said:
I would recommend Education over Military. The Army (Air Force/Navy)  will always be there, education not so much.

Amen Sapper Buddy..

If you want a decent paying job after you are done with the Regs, I would suggest that you stay in school.

Just my 2 cents

Yes, but for me I wouldn't know what I'd do in school, so it would seem to be some what of a waste of money. If I ever decided to leave, i could always attend school then and would have a better understanding of what I would want to do. It's never really too late to go to school.

You have to make up your own mind, but I finished 3 years of college, worked 5 years...and the Reg Force is still here for me, my CT is almost thru.

However, if I "break" myself in the Reg's, I always have that education to fall back on.  VAC then has a trade they can find me employment in IF I get hurt and am medically released or something...

Not the only thing to consider, but it is one thing to consider.

As I said, despite all of our input/advice you have to make a choice YOU can live with...

Best of luck!

MRM

I'm just an application on a pile right now so I can't tell you are better off in the Regs or the Reserves but what I can tell you is that if you think school sucks now, it will REALLY suck later in life. I started university at 29 on a part time basis. It can be tough to balance work, school and a family not to mention your hobbies / activities etc.

if I "break" myself in the Reg's, I always have that education to fall back on.  VAC then has a trade they can find me employment in IF I get hurt and am medically released or something...

As I said, despite all of our input/advice you have to make a choice YOU can live with...

MRM hit the nail on the head. But if I were in your boots, I'd get it over with, stay in the Reserves and apply when you are done (as others have mentioned). You're in a great spot!!

Good luck!

Back