• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CMMA - replacing the CP140 Aurora

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Figure it’s worth starting a separate thread.

Oh goodie, another thirty year procurement programme for an aircraft that may only have a five to ten year lifespan. Buckle up kids, it's about to get interesting... again.

Oh goodie, another thirty year procurement programme for an aircraft that may only have a five to ten year lifespan. Buckle up kids, it's about to get interesting... again.
Or we can go full RAF and get rid of the capability.

Ask them how well that turned out.

Or we can go full RAF and get rid of the capability.

Ask them how well that turned out.
So well that they are scrambling to buy P-8s and relearn ASW.

Of course, we would probably just learn to do without…

I think that Uncle Sam’s strong arm (sharp tongue) will result in us joining Team Poseidon like the other four of the FVEYs.
I think that the fact that there is no other proven flying airframe would push us that way.

Yes, the P-1 exists. Is Japan allowed to sell it?

Edit: Proven, flying airframe that meets our range/endurance requirements. C-295 ASW won't cut it.

I think that the fact that there is no other proven flying airframe would push us that way.

Yes, the P-1 exists. Is Japan allowed to sell it?

Edit: Proven, flying airframe that meets our range/endurance requirements. C-295 ASW won't cut it.
Nor will the Q-400…

That would be another ‘decent’ platform, but hard to argue the “Do what the other four of the FVEYs are doing” logic.

I'm just an Army guy but with 150 of these already in service, many with our key allies, and on a 737 airframe that bloody WestJet could maintain for us in a pinch - really - what's there to think about?

:unsure:

So. The US, Kiwis, Aussies, Brits and Norwegians are all “getting it wrong”? And India? Germany?

Where are you getting 30 year procurement and 5-10 lifespan from?

Last edited:
My first question to DH and Bombardier would be "so, how do you plan on carrying torpedoes?"

There was a discussion about that… in the 140
Thread a month or so ago IIRC?

*edit not the 140 thread…

The Q400 might the only runner on the prop side. As much as I always say we should look at the Sea Herc…

I think that Uncle Sam’s strong arm (sharp tongue) will result in us joining Team Poseidon like the other four of the FVEYs.
Agreed! I suspect this meeting was a bit one-sided. It wasn't just the GOB* who was/is frustrated with Canada's constant freeloading and, especially, with Prime Minister Trudeau's hypocrisy.
---
*GOB: Great Orange Buffoondonald-trump-shouting-cartoon-american-flag-vector-27071852.png

Back