• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Close to 1 Billion unspent

Takeniteasy

Reaction score
I think it is time Veterans move beyond the Cap in Hand approach with the current LPC. The current wait times for initial disability applications is nothing short of gross incompetence and the BPA/VRAB appeals process is also far beyond its communicated "Timely Service" of 16 weeks from your case being ready. The current Minister and DM are both career bureaucrats with no Defense experience. I think the current LPC planned for these two positions to become administrative budget managers with a continued perpetuation of well used excuses.

I think it is time Veterans move beyond the Cap in Hand approach with the current LPC. The current wait times for initial disability applications is nothing short of gross incompetence and the BPA/VRAB appeals process is also far beyond its communicated "Timely Service" of 16 weeks from your case being ready. The current Minister and DM are both career bureaucrats with no Defense experience. I think the current LPC planned for these two positions to become administrative budget managers with a continued perpetuation of well used excuses.

Looks like it's a tradition that transcends party politics.... from 2014:

Over $1.1 billion in unspent funds at Veterans Affairs since 2006: documents​

Veterans Affairs Canada has returned $1.13 billion to the federal treasury in unspent funds since the Conservatives came to power in 2006 -- cash that critics say should have gone towards improved benefits and services.

The figure, which surfaced this week in the House of Commons, has led to renewed criticism of the Harper government, which is already smarting over its frayed relations with disgruntled former soldiers.

Data tabled in the House in response to a written question shows roughly one-third of the so-called lapsed funds were handed back between the 2011 and 2013 budget years when the government was engaged in a massive deficit-cutting drive.

I’m talking completely out of my butt here, and it’s just an assumption…

But I feel like the Harper government, being as focused on being as fiscally responsible as possible & pro business, perhaps exerted some pressure on VAC to be stingy on paying out funds as they were trying to slash the deficit.

I don’t agree with it - if a member is entitled to some sort of benefit, pay it out. No dithering or bulls**t, just grant the benefit. That’s what the money is there for.

But with the LPC, I feel like there was definitely pressure exerted on VAC (quietly Ofcourse) to hold onto as many funds as possible, because there’s a lot of spending to be done & not on ex-service members!

That, and just sheer incompetence…

I've dumped magazines on full auto, and dumped m72s and 84mm rockets to get rid of them. Had to get rid of the ammo because it "looks bad" to turn it in. Plus the erroneous belief we don't get as ammo next year if we don't use it all.

I have no clue but it's a possibility the surplus at VAC isn't a result of them trying to keep it from veterans but rather an inability to physically spend within the rules.
Hiring more staff to process more claims might see that surplus drop.

... I feel like the Harper government, being as focused on being as fiscally responsible as possible & pro business, perhaps exerted some pressure on VAC to be stingy on paying out funds as they were trying to slash the deficit ...
To be fair to PMSH, I don't know if I'd go as far as saying it was linked to the deficit specifically, but I suspect he wasn't the first (or won't be the last) PM to realize that doing things right on that file would cost a TON of money in an area that, frankly, wouldn't get a ton of votes :(
... it's a possibility the surplus at VAC isn't a result of them trying to keep it from veterans but rather an inability to physically spend within the rules. Hiring more staff to process more claims might see that surplus drop.
That, or changing the processes/rules enough to make things move quicker, for sure.

I've dumped magazines on full auto, and dumped m72s and 84mm rockets to get rid of them. Had to get rid of the ammo because it "looks bad" to turn it in. Plus the erroneous belief we don't get as ammo next year if we don't use it all.

I have no clue but it's a possibility the surplus at VAC isn't a result of them trying to keep it from veterans but rather an inability to physically spend within the rules.
Hiring more staff to process more claims might see that surplus drop.
I know this is skirting on corruption given the way the rules are currently written, but if we dared use common sense...

Why not keep the ammo so it can be used for helpful, solid training - instead of burning it off on a few range days af the end of the fiscal year?

The CAF would have more ammo available to units should they ever 'deploy tomorrow' sort of speak, units could host some better training days or at least allow their members more range time if they wanted, etc

I know you said the belief that the unit won't get as much ammo the following year is a mistaken misconception. Units could fix this misconception easily enough.

Burning through 84mm & 66mm ammo needlessly just because of a mistaken fairytale is asinine. This truly is a case of "Army Dumb."

The above isn't directed at you Jarn, just commenting on how silly some of our practices are

You're probably right about that last part. I just wish someone with some sort of authority would step up and say "Okay, what can we do to reduce wait times and meet the 13 week turnaround?" then proceed to eliminate duplication of work, and streamline the process.

Adding more rules, then needing to hire more people to process things, is a waste of money - money that should be going elsewhere

My 2 cents

VAC is a bureaucracy and as one it tends to serve itself first - the clients - US - pay for that self licking ice cream cone.

Looks like it's a tradition that transcends party politics.... from 2014:

Over $1.1 billion in unspent funds at Veterans Affairs since 2006: documents​

Veterans Affairs Canada has returned $1.13 billion to the federal treasury in unspent funds since the Conservatives came to power in 2006 -- cash that critics say should have gone towards improved benefits and services.

The figure, which surfaced this week in the House of Commons, has led to renewed criticism of the Harper government, which is already smarting over its frayed relations with disgruntled former soldiers.

Data tabled in the House in response to a written question shows roughly one-third of the so-called lapsed funds were handed back between the 2011 and 2013 budget years when the government was engaged in a massive deficit-cutting drive.

So, Harper held on to 1.1 billion over 8 years whilst Trudeaus bunch held on to the same in the course of a single year. Seems the same to me

So, Harper held on to 1.1 billion over 8 years whilst Trudeaus bunch held on to the same in the course of a single year. Seems the same to me
Harper did, Harper did not, Harper who cares. Harper is history. No, I am not one of his supporters, I stopped voting for his party after the 2006 election. One of the biggest reasons I dropped my support for him was his party refusal to fix the new VAC charter. I was watching friends of mine getting screwed for blatantly obvious military injuries.

I think we should really move onto who is in now. We need support for our vets, period. Lets hold the current government accountable.

Trudeau said "Your asking for more than we can give...." Don't forget.

I think we should really move onto who is in now. We need support for our vets, period. Lets hold the current government accountable.
It sure is the current government's responsibility to dig itself out of its current situation on the file. It's also good to remember the past not just to score political partisan what-about points but, moving forward, to avoid being unrealistically optimistic about a change of team jersey colours in Ottawa leading to guaranteed better results.

Trudeau said "Your asking for more than we can give...." Don't forget.

While I'm not defending that statement, what is an appropriate level of compensation for duty-related injuries?

While I'm not defending that statement, what is an appropriate level of compensation for duty-related injuries?
Whatever the vet needs. We as a country send our troops overseas, we can damn well pay the bill.

If Trudeau doesn't mind 80 million for McKinsey, they can sure as fuck can pay for broken knees, hips and mental states.

If Trudeau doesn't mind 80 million for McKinsey, they can sure as fuck can pay for broken knees, hips and mental states

Agreed, however what's fair compensation for broken knees, hips and mental states? Do troops expect a lottery payout or pension where they don't have to work again?

Agreed, however what's fair compensation for broken knees, hips and mental states? Do troops expect a lottery payout or pension where they don't have to work again?
Some CAN'T ever work again, some can work with mild to severe limitations. YOU can't put this into a check box, so fucking stop.

No different than any other compsensation package, case by case determination.

Some CAN'T ever work again, some can work with mild to severe limitations. YOU can't put this into a check box, so fucking stop.

No different than any other compsensation package, case by case determination.
And hence the eternal struggle of how much staff and oversight government should provide.

Government also puts in place restrictions on how funds may be used, to ensure money goes out on program, not personnel costs.

There are also legal restrictions against overspending, so departments sometimes receive more that they think they will need to make sure they don't overspend.

Lots of details that need to be unpacked to figure out the why of spending (whether overspending or understanding).

Why not keep the ammo so it can be used for helpful, solid training - instead of burning it off on a few range days af the end of the fiscal year?
I've heard it makes a CO look like they can't probably plan their ammo usage for the year. Better to burn it than look like you ordered too much.

I see what you're saying. Some people try to treat VAC like an ATM.

People can get covered for a LOT from VAC. When you look at civilian insurance payouts though, say whiplash from a car accident, you're talking big money.

Some do have a belief that less significant injuries mean they should be paid for the rest of their life. To hear about some claims from basic training you would think they dropped into Normandy.

And hence the eternal struggle of how much staff and oversight government should provide.

Government also puts in place restrictions on how funds may be used, to ensure money goes out on program, not personnel costs.

There are also legal restrictions against overspending, so departments sometimes receive more that they think they will need to make sure they don't overspend.

Lots of details that need to be unpacked to figure out the why of spending (whether overspending or understanding).
There ya go... talking sense & being reasonable, like always 🙄

Maybe I just wanna be outraged because the media told me to be. Ever think about that? 😤

Back