• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Class C -> A/B IPC

BKells

Inactive
Reaction score
When I went on Class C, they added up my Class A/B days and worked out what IPC I was at. I went from Cpl (2) to Cpl (0) with 200 days to my name. Makes sense.. we only work once a week sometimes.

Now that I've done 18 months Class C, I was told by someone when I went back to the reserves that the opposite calculation should take place (multiply Class C time by 4) and I should max out my IPC. I went to my unit and as usual, the BOR is understaffed and the staff they do have is woefully underqualified.. so they can't answer my inquiries.

Is this true? If so, is there any documentation to support it? I'll need to submit a memo, I think. And we have about 40 guys in the same situation.

Thanks.

I don't think so.  Your 18 months Class C will only count as 1.5 years towards your IPC.  One year is one year, no matter how many days you work in it.  You will not be getting credited with 6 years for your Class C employment ((18 months X 4) / 12) towards your Class A Service.  It does not work that way.

Whoever told you this was filling you full of BS.

Alright, then I ask where's the policy that saw my IPC knocked down by 2 years when I went Class C? What's the rationalization for that if it doesn't work both ways?

I was on Class C for 18 months and served my country overseas, but some guy parading at the home unit once a month for 8 months gets the same IPC as me?

Junius said:
I was on Class C for 18 months and served my country overseas, but some guy parading at the home unit once a month for 8 months gets the same IPC as me?

....and you were paid extra for that service already.

Correct.

Class C is Regular Force Pay, out of the Regular Force Pay System. 

Class A/B is Reserve Force Pay, out of the Reserve Force Pay System.

You in essence were a Regular Force soldier pay wise for 18 months.  As such your IPC was calculated as if you had done a CT.

A Regular Force member who Releases, does not get credited 4 times his current IPC if he does a CT to the Reserves, nor does a Class C Reservist.

You will be back to your Reserve IPC with an additional 18 months since you left.  That would put you at IPC 2 + 1.5 years = IPC 3 working on IPC 4.

Junius said:

Reg Force Cpl IPC 2 makes 15% more than Res Force Cpl IPC 2, thats why "some guy" has the same IPC, but you make far more money than he does when you're on Cl C.

You were Cpl 2.  Eighteen months later, you return as at least a Cpl 3 or possibly a Cpl 4 (your time as Cpl deployed counts towards your next IPC).

And the issue is?

Quick question that's related, is IPC calculated by total time in? or total time in rank?

To clarify: If a person has 2 years in the PRes, and is a Cpl (0), and have spent one year of those 2 as a Class B reservist in the rank, would their IPC go up to Cpl (1)? Would it remain at 0? Or would it go down to Pte (1)?

IIRC, Class B & C count day for day, total Class A is divided by 4.  That will give you your previous full time paid service (PFTPS).  IPC is calculated a bit different, I think, depending on courses, etc.

Back