• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civvies in the dark.

Someone wrote about what a good show Truth, Duty, Valour was. Thats the problem, if people are watching that homogenized, bland, completely politically correct crap and think this is how the military really is, then we're really hurting. If I wasn't a serving member who remembers what the army was like before SHARP, harassment training, and all the other touchy, feely crap then this would definitly convince me to head south or across to England and join a real army. Unlike our glorified constabulary!
Have a nice day! :threat:

If I wasn't a serving member who remembers what the army was like before SHARP, harassment training, and all the other touchy, feely crap then this would definitely convince me to head south or across to England and join a real army. Unlike our glorified constabulary!

If you feel that way why stay in the CF.  Go to England or America now stop wasting time here as a glorified constable. I always say don't leave it for another day when you can do it now.  Unless you are willing to reside in England for five years now you may find it hard to get in the British Army.  Well i think i have taken enough time up here with my thoughts. ;D

423 Squadron...Good job :salute: :cdn:

Canuck101

If I wasn't a serving member who remembers what the army was like before SHARP, harassment training, and all the other touchy, feely crap then this would definitely convince me to head south or across to England and join a real army. Unlike our glorified constabulary

I see by your profile that you have yet to serve a day...either before or after SHARP training. Please go and walk the road before you tell us all how smooth you think it is.

Because I'll tell you right now its not the same army and the standards have slipped.
Slim

To those of you in our country (civilians) who appreciate your military. Thank you...

Sharing a story from my personal experience. Last Christmas when I had just arrived back in Calgary from St-Jean, myself and my family went out to a restaurant before going home. I was in full dress uniform, army uniform and the waitress asked, and I quote "What airline do you fly for?" I mean, would it be too much to expect that the Canada patch, the thin stripe and the beret would give me away as military? I guess regardless of what the military does, there will always be ignorant people.

My profile may not show that i was not in the military so what.  I know the standards have gone down but if you are in a job that you don't like and have the ability to change it for the better do it. If he feels he can do better in another countries military more power to him.Life is short go where you feel that you will live life to the fullest. I bare no ill will against anyone.

Canuck101

Since you've never been a soldier it may be difficult for you to understand that being a soldier and loyalty to a specific unit is not quite like going to the office every Monday morning and logging into your computer. Soldiers see, do and experience things that civilians never understand and cannot comprehend.

Civilians don't think outside of themselves very much if at all. For the professional soldier he can do little else. A military unit is like a family. And for someone who was in the combat arms even more so. For the Canadian Airborn Regt. this is taken to an unbelievable degree and the pain of loss upon departure is VERY SEVERE AND CAN BE QUITE TRAUMATIC!

So when someone talks about going elsewhere to join another nation's military its not quite the same as switching from civvie job A and going across the street to B. They feel like the very thing tha they have sworn their life to defend at all costs has let them down and the bitterness is quite intense. Almost like being married and after 10 years of happyness your wife suddenly announces that she is going to start bringing other men to her bed. How would you feel about that?!

Please remember that you are walking in the company of soldiers here. Men and women who have walked in places you'll never go and done things you'll never do and can't possibly understand. They are different than you and this is their site.

Try to remember that please.

Slim

PS - Bigfoot. Thanks for the PM apology accepted

I'm a journalism student and I understand how the military gets none of the spotlight. My plans are to try and change that. The military interests me. Not just about equipment and exercises and peacekeeping, but the real stories behind all that. The soldiers who do the job, the real stories behind the peackeeping missions, the families affected by all of this. I think if the general public is shown how things really are then maybe it will help in getting funding and support from the public. Then again I may just be dreaming.

I do respect your service as i do for my fathers service in the military, my aunts military service my grandfathers service to his country and mine. It may not say that in my profile but i was in the reserves.I have the most respect for people who have served there country and are serving now. My family has had a proud tradition of serving there country. I can remember the rules about what you could do and not do what has changed and the way it was.

I still say it is not healthy for anyone to be in a job civilian or military if they don't like it.  Yes i know in the military you have contracts you have to honor but that does not mean you have to keep doing the same thing after your contract is up change can be hard.  I you ask anyone i know i am always the first to stand up for the military.  I have recommended the reserves to many of my friends and a few have joined and they like the life. I am always proud to see someone in a military uniform in Canada there are to few of them.

Canuck101:

If you spent any time in the Reserves, you should know when to shut yer pie-hole. You said something stupid, which in itself is no great sin (I have done the same both here and elsewhere). But when you follow that up with "my father, aunt, granfather was a soldier, oh yeah, and I wasin the MO for 5 minutes too", you make it much worse. Your res service might give you some cred here, but your family's experience means jack squat.

Just admit your wrong, and move on. Or just shut yer yap and move on. You are in no position to tell an experienced soldier, much less a former CAR Trooper, that he should quit his complaining.

PS-he didn't say he was even thinkning of quiting, he merely commented on how pansy-arse the CF is compared to years past, and how lame TDV is (and I agree on both points).

Sorry for my comments that may have upset some people it will not happen again.

Big Foot said:
Sharing a story from my personal experience ... I was in full dress uniform, army uniform and the waitress asked, and I quote "What airline do you fly for?" I mean, would it be too much to expect that the Canada patch, the thin stripe and the beret would give me away as military? I guess regardless of what the military does, there will always be ignorant people.

I must have met her cousin at Mirabel airport, where I was asked the identical question ... and I was wearing kilt and glengarry (... hmmm ... Caledonia Airlines ... "If it's nae Scottish, it's crap!")

Sharing a story from my personal experience. Last Christmas when I had just arrived back in Calgary from St-Jean, myself and my family went out to a restaurant before going home. I was in full dress uniform, army uniform and the waitress asked, and I quote "What airline do you fly for?" I mean, would it be too much to expect that the Canada patch, the thin stripe and the beret would give me away as military? I guess regardless of what the military does, there will always be ignorant people.

It is surprising how many Canadians don't know the uniform of their military.  When VAdm Ron Buck was Comd MARPAC, he was once transiting through Victoria Airport to catch a his ride back to Esquimalt.  As he exitted the airport he must have had to wait a couple of seconds/minutes for the car to pull up.  A car drove up and a lady got out and she looked at him and asked him for assistance with her bags in the trunk!  He subsequently started an ambitious program to educate the public on military issues in Victoria.

Gunner - your sure it was not some Patrica's wife pulling his leg  ;D

I used to live in fredericton which most know is right beside Gagetown and we had these ten or so university students that went around protesting the fact that a handful of officers would come into fredericton to do urban warfare training. They didnt even have guns, they just walked around with a compass and paper and stuff. No one really noticed them, but these little protestors thought they were threatening to the city of fredericton. They didnt even take the time to try and understand what these people were doing. They just assumed that army=war=bad. They also bitched and bitched about armed forces day, which they held in Fredericton as a showcase of what the military does.They said it scared refugees and made kids want to play with guns. I thought armed forces day was great for making the public aware of the military and it's role in Canada. But last year they didnt have it, so I guess the protestors won.

KevinB said:
Gunner - your sure it was not some Patrica's wife pulling his leg   ;D
lol

I know I have had my bad experiances with being excluded from a media spotlight. Last christmas, close to this time, myslef and 3 other members of my unit went to an event called christmas cheer in Barrie. Our job being the big strong guys there, was to pick up and stack about 1200 boxes, each weighing about 50 lbs. For those of you wondering thats approx 60 000lbs of food and toys and stuff. The local media took approx 20 minutes of video tape of us lifting all the boxes, and stuff, we were in uniform of course. Then they did a 10 minute interview with the organizer of the group. In the newscast, we were not even shown, letalone had it said we were there. Now dont get me wrong, we were not there to get on the news or something. Though it annoyed me that they HAD the video of us working, and they didnt even show it.

I have run into alot of mis informed people, or peopel who have very little to no info on the forces. I always take the time to talk to them and explain what I do, alot of them seem very impressed that I am so young(20) and am doing this, even more so when they realized I started when i was 16 and in high school. Unless someone obviously doesnt care about me, and is insulting me, I will try to inform and educate as many peopel as I can, and i stress this on as many service members as will listen to me on this argument.

Just a few thoughts.

Gunner - your sure it was not some Patrica's wife pulling his leg

Ha ha. I may have been some retired Patricia's lady as most of the Patricia's were long gone when this happened (~98).

Cheers,

Back