• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chipping In

tk_01

Inactive
Reaction score
So, I'm adding another personal entry to the forum. Where to begin? I was born in South Korea to a military father. I lived there for about 3 or 4 years, before I moved to Australia. There I remained for a good 9 years, until I was 12, at which point I immigrated here. Now, joining the Canadian forces had always been on my mind during highschool; however enrolling at the RMC in Ottawa or applying for the reserves wasn't feasible. Why? Because at that time, I hadn't earned my citizenship. It was only in 2008, when I was.... 19 that I was officially declared a citizen of Canada. So, logically I should've applied as soon as I received my citizenship card, but unfortunately, being the parochial student I was, I decided to wait until I finished my degree at U of T, where I was expecting to graduate from in 2011. Big mistake. 2009 came along, and with it the recession that managed to drag down various sectors of Canadian industry and society. It didn't occur to me that the army would be struck by massive and cumbersome budget cuts until the fourth quarter of 2009 when I read Romeo Dalllaire's statement that military spending would be declining. So, after smacking myself for waiting so long, I started doing some serious research into application procedures and such, all the while fighting the realization that even if I applied, I'd be in for a long and incredibly tedious wait. So here I am now. I finally submitted my application documents in March of 2010, after visiting the CFRC at Yonge several times. I'll be going back in about two weeks to submit additional references, because I didn't provide a sufficient number. For the time being, I'll be in school, finishing off the semesters and crossing out the days on the bloody calendar, provided that they even have spots by the time they process me, which at this point is looking bloody doubtful indeed.

So lessons learned: Don't let school postpone your decision to do anything in life, especially a pursuit that you're ardently passionate about. Don't let family matters and concerns impede your ability to make a mature and independent decision. And finally, apply to the military that you've wanted to be a part of for so long, as soon you receive your bloody citizenship card.

As for my motivations for joining the military, they're conventional, if not cliched. At the risk of coming off as a pompous idealist, I want to enlist, because there are plenty of academics and intellectuals who contribute to society already. I feel that my place is with the forces, because I'm drawn to a life of challenge and discipline, rather than one of complacency and comfort. I would rather experience the hardship and adversity that the military has to offer, than consign myself to what I see as an insipid life of research and papers. Applying to the forces was the first choice I'd made in a while that was completely independent and free of external considerations. It felt great to finally apply, and even though it's going to be a trial, I'm eagerly looking forward to what the next 6 to 8 months have in store.

Physically, I feel great. I've all but eliminated caffeine from my diet. I've never been a slouch when it comes to physical activity, so I'm confident about my chances concerning the fitness test. Although I've heard some harrowing stories about the aptitude test, I'm looking forward to going in and writing it, whenever that happens to be.

Well, since Combat Arms reopens in April (1st is it?), I guess I'll update my entry then. Wish me luck I suppose.

Thanks for sharin this story. I can 100% relate to your third paragraph. In fact, I could not have said it better myself. Hope all goes well for you,

jordan.

Well said all except for the part about education. One of the things we tried to make clear in the Recruiting Centre was education is very important. If your not done high school finish it. If your in University and looking at finishing then finish. The CF will always be here but you will not always be in the CF. Down the road when it comes time to look for another career it will be difficult. The CF has plans to pay for school if you qualify. Check them out with a Recruiter and see which plan suits you best. Maybe none and and you go directly in. Again a Recruiter will be able to help you with that.

FDO said:
Well said all except for the part about education. One of the things we tried to make clear in the Recruiting Centre was education is very important. If your not done high school finish it. If your in University and looking at finishing then finish. The CF will always be here but you will not always be in the CF. Down the road when it comes time to look for another career it will be difficult. The CF has plans to pay for school if you qualify. Check them out with a Recruiter and see which plan suits you best. Maybe none and and you go directly in. Again a Recruiter will be able to help you with that.

My intention wasn't to debase the importance of education, especially the ever-expanding role of post-secondary institutions in facilitating future vocations. I do feel, however that the majority of students in the post-secondary system are ill-informed of the possibilities or choices that are available to them, and the reality regarding the limitations of univeristy or college. Some highschool graduates are shoehorned into post-secondary institutions without being aware of the opportunities posed by other avenues such as apprenticeships or trade schools. Again, this isn't a condemnation or devaluation of colleges and universities. It's just troubling how institutionalized and engrained the notion of having no recourse or strategy but the post-secondary education system has become.

With that said, I fully intend to complete my degree; however I'm now reconsidering the possibility of completing a 5th year in order to graduate early and join the forces.

Back