• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese flags flown at Vancouver city hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGFG

Inactive
Reaction score
"The symbolism and meaning of a ceremony at Vancouver city hall to mark the 67th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China is raising concerns with some Chinese-Canadians.

On Friday, about 300 Chinese government supporters turned out to watch acting Mayor Kerry Jang  and Richmond East MP Joe Peschisolido don red scarves and raise the national flag of China in front of city hall.

When news of the unpublicized event was posted online over the weekend, it sparked strong reaction from those in the Chinese-Canadian community who don't support the communist government."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-city-hall-chinese-flag-1.3789155

I can't be the only one disgusted by the fact that they replaced our flag with the flag of china?

GGFG said:
"The symbolism and meaning of a ceremony at Vancouver city hall to mark the 67th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China is raising concerns with some Chinese-Canadians.

On Friday, about 300 Chinese government supporters turned out to watch acting Mayor Kerry Jang  and Richmond East MP Joe Peschisolido don red scarves and raise the national flag of China in front of city hall.

When news of the unpublicized event was posted online over the weekend, it sparked strong reaction from those in the Chinese-Canadian community who don't support the communist government."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-city-hall-chinese-flag-1.3789155

I can't be the only one disgusted by the fact that they replaced our flag with the flag of china?

With?  Maaaaaaybe ...  Instead of?  WTF?

I particularly enjoyed the Liberal MP who donned the red scarf of the Communist Party of China, the very symbol of being a loyal Chinese Communist; the uniform of the cultural revolutionists and education camp guards, very fashionable.  This generation of MPs doesn't have the smarts God gave my cat. 

Lightguns said:
I particularly enjoyed the Liberal MP who donned the red scarf of the Communist Party of China, the very symbol of being a loyal Chinese Communist; the uniform of the cultural revolutionists and education camp guards, very fashionable.  This generation of MPs doesn't have the smarts God gave my cat.
I'm guessing everyone involved took at least some (pun intended) re-education calls from the unhappy  ;D

I am curious whether or not there is a "How to be an MP for Dummies" briefing given the first day on the job. The whole do not replace the Canadian flag with another countries flag should be included in it...

To be fair to the MP, he is a Liberal so I doubt he recognizes any countries besides the UN.  :nana:

GGFG said:

You are only on your first ( duplicate ) post and you already found something to be disgusted about?  Wait till you get to be my age! :)

Did they replace our flag? Did you see that, or read that somewhere?

Guest flags:

"When they are raised, they do not replace the Canadian flag, which is flown on top of city hall.

The decision to fly the flag of any nation neither implies nor expresses support for the politics of those nations."
http://council.vancouver.ca/021008/A5.pdf

Toronto City Hall flies Guest Flags all the time, in a separate area. Sometimes more than one Guest Flag on the same day.
Guest Flags do not replace the federal, provincial and city flags.

Toronto flew the Flag of China at City Hall with a 10:00 a.m. ceremony on 29 Sept.
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=b3097aac783a1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD&vgnextchannel=7bbdb3066f9e1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Check out Dougie grinning away in front of the flag pole!

Attachments

• doug_china_jpg_size_custom_crop_868x650.jpg
    doug_china_jpg_size_custom_crop_868x650.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 2,058
It's time we extend the olive branch to our communist friends. I suggest we invite the Chinese to bring over a squadron or two of tanks to celebrate the Tiananmen Square peaceful protests.

mariomike said:
Guest flags:

"When they are raised, they do not replace the Canadian flag, which is flown on top of city hall.

The decision to fly the flag of any nation neither implies nor expresses support for the politics of those nations."
http://council.vancouver.ca/021008/A5.pdf

Toronto City Hall flies Guest Flags all the time, in a separate area. Sometimes more than one Guest Flag on the same day.
Guest Flags do not replace the federal, provincial and city flags.

Toronto flew the Flag of China at City Hall with a 10:00 a.m. ceremony on 29 Sept.
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=b3097aac783a1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD&vgnextchannel=7bbdb3066f9e1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD
Thanks for that - I guess they're not really flags on display if the municipality doesn't deem them so.  It's not THE flag, it's A flag.  Thanks for sharing that, MM.
Jarnhamar said:
It's time we extend the olive branch to our communist friends. I suggest we invite the Chinese to bring over a squadron or two of tanks to celebrate the Tiananmen Square peaceful protests.
Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Attachments

• 64106040.jpg
    64106040.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 309
Jarnhamar said:

I see where you are going.  Perhaps some jets to re-enact the whole bombing of monasteries thing during the invasion of Tibet would be a useful in healing the wounds that divide us too.  If only we had flown the Hammer and Sickle, maybe the Soviet Union would be a constitutional republic now......

I am making fun of the Liberal/Conservative myth that trading with violent repressive dictatorships turns them into democracies.  It doesn't and it never will.  It will provide them with the hard currency reserves to pay the raw materials to build the violent repressive war machine to oppress their neighbours , however. 

Seeing Doug grinning * in that pic reminded me of what our late Mayor Rob had to say at City Hall, "Those Oriental people work like dogs. They work their hearts out. They are workers non-stop. They sleep beside their machines. That's why they're successful in life. I went to Seoul, South Korea, I went to Taipei, Taiwan. I went to Tokyo, Japan. That's why these people are so hard workers (sic). I'm telling you, the Oriental people, they're slowly taking over."

* The exact opposite scowling facial expression, negative head and body language of Mayor Rob ( who, as Mayor, made a point of standing well away from the others ) when they hoisted the Rainbow flag at City Hall!  :)

This is how we fly guest flags at City Hall. Separate and apart from the other flags. I suspect  Vancouver may have a similar protocol.

Attachments

• pride_flag_jpg_size_custom_crop_1086x767.jpg
    pride_flag_jpg_size_custom_crop_1086x767.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 260
The choice of flag pole is relevant.  Was it the one normally used to fly the Canadian flag or was it off to the right side?  Our flag should always be to the left of that of another nation or in the centre if flown with a group.  The flag of another country should never be flown on its own and it should never, ever be flown in place of>  That indicates surrender.

YZT580 said:
The flag of another country should never be flown on its own < snip >

http://d2x3wmakafwqf5.cloudfront.net/wordpress/wp-content/blogs.dir/112/files/2016/10/china-flag.jpg

Link and pic show guest flags flown on their own. That's the only way it has ever been done at our city hall. And they fly a lot of guest flags!

Attachments

• flag.jpg
    flag.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 388
OK, as far as I can tell, this is how the Canadian flag is worn at Vancouver City Hall:

blog-vancouver-city-hall.jpg

There are, it appears, several other flag poles surrounding the building and it looks like the PRC flag was raised on one of them:

china-flag.jpg

If that's the case, and I'm happy to be corrected, than I will, somehow, manage to contain my outrage.  :nod:

E.R. Campbell said:

china-flag.jpg

Funny. I tried to upload that same pic. Said the file was too large.

Is it a slow news day in Vancouver?

YZT580 said:
That indicates surrender.

Don't wealthy Chinese citizens own most of Vancouver now?

Edited.

Members of the government should be educated on the traditions and what they represent before sporting them in public.

If the red scarf carries that significance then he should have known better or he should have been better informed by staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back